Author Topic: How old are you workaround  (Read 3110 times)

lostbowyer

• View Profile
How old are you workaround
« on: September 17, 2003, 09:35:15 am »
There has been several people who have asked if there was a way to change the response when hal is asked his age, I came up with a partial workaround. It requires Larry's "just answer the question" script or at least the modified version I posted with a forced keyword.
If you ask "how old are you" Hal will respond 8 years old. Larry's script will enter a keyword listing in his personalquestions.brn file, however, if you modify the answer, Hal will not identify it in a keyword search. But, If you use the question "What is your age" this will be identified during a keyword search of the brain file.
So, I setup "What is your age" with my desired age, then just above the line where the OriginalSentence is saved, I added the following line:
If UserSentence = " How old are you " then
UserSentence = "What is your age"
End if

This changes the user sentence to a question the "just answer the question" script will identify, return the desired response, and hal will not respond to the question with the "I am 8 years old"

It's not a perfect solution, but it will allow hal to return an age other than 8 years old. When I have a chance, I'll modify the script so the returned response is the year born, then it will take that and calculate the age based upon the current date so hal will get "older" like the rest of us.

Glenn