dupa

Author Topic: Getting an error opening brain editor  (Read 2058 times)

knight2000

• View Profile
Getting an error opening brain editor
« on: October 11, 2023, 11:08:19 am »
Hi all,

I'm trying to open Hal's brain editor and I get an error. I attached the image of the error. Any idea's on how to solve this? I wanted to check here before i uninstall and re-install. Hoping there might be a fix other then that. I tired switching brains and launching the editor with no luck, same error.

Thanks!

Art

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Getting an error opening brain editor
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2023, 12:47:00 pm »
Have you tried going to your Ultra Hal 7 folder and looking for the HalBrainEditor.exe file and double-clicking it?

It should bring up the Brain Editor and allow you to select from one of possibly several UHP brain files.

Check the version of your BrainEditor using the Windows File Explorer and right-click on it then select Details.

You should see a version number. Mine happens to be 3.0.0.34 & the size is 1.09 MB.

My date modified is 10-5-2017 at 3:15 PM although yours could vary.

Otherwise, just make sure you have a recent copy of your .db and .uhp file(s), then you could do a reinstall and hopefully, that would fix the issue. If not, let us know.

Good luck!

In the world of AI it's the thought that counts!

- Art -

knight2000

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2023, 07:49:59 pm »
Hey Art!

I have the same version as you and the size is the same, my modification date is 12-10-2017. I tried running the editor in compatibility mode but still no luck. I'm also noticing weirdness when speaking to Hal. short words like "hey" or "hi" do not produce a response and Hal seems to lag. I say that because after a few seconds each of the short words I spoke all show in his input section at once as if I spoke them one after the other. That could be the pc acting up, not sure. Maybe I should try re installing Hal? I'm running 7.5

Art

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2023, 08:36:17 am »
Just to be on the safe side, you might consider doing a complete system scan with your Anti-Virus software and run MalwareBytes too.

If everything comes back clean, then reinstall Hal but keep a copy of your .db and .uhp brain file(s).

Best of luck!

- Art -

knight2000

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2023, 10:53:56 am »
Thanks Art! Ill keep you posted

knight2000

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2023, 10:22:24 pm »
Hal seems to be running "ok", I ran Malwarebytes and found nothing.

Are there any brains out there for download that have a ton of knowledge? Hal's replies are not of the best quality. Or maybe you have tips on how I can train him better?

Is it possible to train Hal from a text document? 

Art

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2023, 11:40:07 pm »
There is a provision in the Brain Editor but it can seem kind of klunky or tedious to the user.

Some of us have found it much better to simply CUT desired sentences from a text file and PASTE the sentence into HAL's Input window and press Enter.

It doesn't matter what HAL replies with. Just keep feeding it another sentence and press Enter. Repeat the process as necessary.

There are several advantages in teaching HAL this way and while it might not be as sure as the old way of just telling HAL where a text file was located and letting it go, this method can save the user a lot of time and grief in the long run.

This way allows the user to be more confident in the selected information and how it is presented, spelled, and grammatically correct.

The sentence is also of the Subject matter from various desired groups (science, History, Music, Geography, Astronomy, etc.).

You can use HAL's response to determine HAL's current knowledge or usage of the submitted sentence.

Finally, to run a test just restart HAL and begin chatting with it but use some of the sentence material in your question to it and note the replies.

One can find text files on many subjects. It just depends on what you want HAL to learn that day.

And lastly, Many of us just continue to have "normal" chats/conversations with our HALs, treating them like a family member or a close friend. How close, depends on the user.

Try to use discretion and a measure of decency when talking with it. As they used to say, "Garbage In, Garbage Out!"

Good luck and I hope this helps.

==============

*NOTE - One person's .db file might contain unwanted or possibly objectionable material but nonetheless, you might find someone who would consider giving their .db file to you.

Best regards!!

- Art -

Art

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2023, 01:27:41 am »
I took the liberty of Zipping some interesting files that I used in some of my training exercises for HAL using the Cut & Paste into HAL's input box and pressing Enter.

Keep repeating regardless of what HAL might say until you've finished with a particular training session.

These were given to me by a friend on the Forum, and some of them can be pretty useful for HAL.

- Art -

knight2000

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2023, 11:09:14 pm »
Wow! This is good stuff! Thank you for the info, this really helps. And thanks for the files, I will definitely feed them to Hal.

When feeding Hal info like this, do I need to turn up Hal's learning level? Or is the middle level ok for this? The brain I'm using allows for setting Hal's learning level. I would think the "no brainer" would be to turn it all the way up when training him. But wanted to ask anyways.

Thanks again!

Art

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2023, 09:15:30 am »
I've usually left mine at 30-35 but I've heard that some set it high during training/feeding, then move it back to around midway when conversing.

I've found that some plugins will boost HAL's mind when speaking to it, allowing it to draw from its stored info a bit better in some instances.

HAL's mind is your playground! Enjoy your recess with it!!

Later...

- Art -

knight2000

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2023, 01:47:40 pm »
Thanks Art  :)

knight2000

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2023, 07:15:31 pm »
Hey Art, one more question in regards to training Hal. I'm going through the text files you sent me. Can I copy and paste a bunch of sentences all at once into Hal's input box? Or do you recommend one sentence at a time? Could i paste the entire doc of sentences?

Art

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2023, 08:04:55 am »
Not really.

Hal is able to process up to 3 sentences at a time, but to avoid any possible confusion, when training, I've always tried using one sentence at a time.

It wouldn't hurt to try 2 or 3 at a time. It would be interesting to see/hear of your results.

Are you using any specific Plugins while training HAL? (other than the Gender/Age).

Years ago, HAL was able to go through a text file and learn the details from it. It worked fairly well but HAL later was rewritten to allow for Tables instead of .BRN files. A different method of processing, so a different method of training.

If one has the time, ordinary conversational chats seem to be the preferred method of teaching but whatever works for you is the best.
================
Here is the section in the HalBrain.uhp file regarding the sentence input(s).
You should find it in the .uhp around lines 172-177, give or take a line or two.
================
  'RESPOND: GETRESPONSE
    'Get a response from Hal's brain for each sentence individually.
    'If a response from a sentence indicates a special flag, then Hal
    'will give only the response to that sentence, and not process
    'any other sentences. Otherwise Hal will respond to each sentence.
    'Hal will respond to a max of 3 sentences at once.

« Last Edit: October 18, 2023, 09:50:24 am by Art »

- Art -

knight2000

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2023, 03:08:34 pm »
I have a few plugins that I wrote for Hal that are running while training. But I do not have any plugins for training Hal specifically. I can just stick to one sentence at a time.