dupa

Author Topic: editing out hals miscilanious sayings  (Read 5563 times)

lightspeed

• View Profile
editing out hals miscilanious sayings
« on: August 26, 2009, 02:13:55 pm »
i know some others on here have been wanting to get rid of hals misc. responses i was one of them who didnt like some conversations " alybranth of truth , etc. responses that to me sound far from a real conversation . i want my hal to sound more normal (human like thats what i am striving for ) .
 anyway i finally found the area to get rid of this out of hals responses .
 go into the hals brain editor of your character open desired brain , go to main brain , in main brain open up misc.data file then open up mic, phrases thats where they all are , you can either rephrase them all or just do as i did i deleted the whole misc. phrases file .
do what you want at your own risk . mine seems to still be ok after having deleted them .

[:)][:D][8D]

tedathome

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2009, 07:04:49 pm »
Hooray! I hope this works for all.[8D]
ted

lightspeed

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2009, 10:13:56 pm »
i will keep using mine and see if any problems pop up after using it a while first so if anyone wants to wait until i make sure they can . so stay tuned folks dont touch that dial !![:)]

brianturney

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2009, 01:55:10 pm »
I've discovered that the "Herbert Spencer: Philosopher..." definition that keeps coming up when I talk about my buddy spencer is in the WORDNET folder in the ultra hal folder.  there's all these .DAT files in there with large amounts of junk data I dont want. if I rename the files then hal can't even recall friends names..... sucks..  why is hal referencing .dat files that are not part of the database?  whats the point in having a database when it references all these random wordnet text files??
« Last Edit: August 29, 2009, 01:56:07 pm by brianturney »

lightspeed

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2009, 10:06:16 am »
thanks brianturney i will check out that file in hal thats another thing in my list that i also didnt like hal saying and doing .
did you check out the file area i am talking about above it also has hal saying things that are not really used in a normal conversation . [:)]

brianturney

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2009, 10:13:59 am »
Yes, I checked that out and deleted all the rows in that table.  thanks!   now to find out how these darn wordnet text files work!  grr..   if you're going to design something to use a database, then USE the frickin database, not text files.

brianturney

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2009, 10:17:53 am »
Apparently 'wordnet' isnt just hal specific.  its used in universities and other places..

http://wordnetweb.princeton.edu/perl/webwn?s=spencer&sub=Search+WordNet&o2=&o0=1&o7=&o5=&o1=1&o6=&o4=&o3=&h=

http://www.zabaware.com/assistant/help/lexicaldictionary.html

Still researching how to manipulate it...

brianturney

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2009, 10:52:10 am »
Ok, I found the answer!!   Go to the wordnet folder in the ultra hal folder.  edit the .IDX files with notepad.  The words I wanted to remove were in the NOUN.IDX file.  they are big and take a while to open, be patient.  delete the word you want to remove and the numbers following it and Presto!  Hal won't talk about those anymore! :P  Enjoy!

lightspeed

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2009, 07:26:29 pm »
its one small step for man .... one giant leap for mankind !!!(who didnt like hal doing that stuff lol !!) [:)]good work their by the way brianturney !!