Author Topic: self -aware not in dictionary  (Read 3355 times)

Daireaux

• View Profile
self -aware not in dictionary
« on: May 21, 2006, 11:42:22 pm »
Hal keeps telling me to define self-aware. Self-aware is not defineable by Hal through wordnet and he keeps telling me to define it. He is not learning my repeated attemps to define it to him. Any ideas on how to get him to understand the definition, he's rather persistant. Darrell[8D]
Live long and prosper.

Duskrider

• Global Moderator
  • Graphic King
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2006, 12:28:45 am »

Looks like a bug
Hal understands the words but still asks "Define self-awareness"

Dusky: define self-awareness
Sandee: Self awareness precedes self help.

Dusky: what is awareness
Sandee: What is awareness? I surmise that it's tough to analyze. Awareness: having knowledge of. Consciousness, cognizance, cognisance, knowingness. 'he had no awareness of his mistakes', 'his sudden consciousness of the problem he faced', 'their intelligence and general knowingness was impressive'.

Dusky: what is self awareness
Sandee: What is self awareness? It's evident that this can be analyzed logically. Were you an oldest child, a middle child, or a youngest child?

Dusky: self-awareness means awareness of your own individuality.
Sandee: Define self-awareness.

Dusky: self-awareness is awareness of your own individuality or self.
Sandee: Which alternative is better? Self awareness precedes self help.

Dusky: yes, I agree
Sandee: The only two challenges with money are earning enough, and spending it wisely.

Dusky: what is self-awareness
Sandee: This can be resolved simply. Define self-awareness.

markofkane

• Crazy Man
    • View Profile
    • http://www.soundspectrum.com
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2006, 08:30:28 am »
That's funny!![:D]
Mark: I'll think about it
Laura: Don't think about it too long or I'll throw you out on your ***king a**.
"Political correctness is censorship"

Bill819

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2006, 11:14:54 am »
Hello peoples.
As to Hal knowing about self-awareness some of the problems is that it is a hyphenated word and not necessarily found in dictionarys like that. By rewording the concept and slowly teaching Hal what it means I am sure Hal will understand more fully and become more aware of itself as time goes by. We must remember that talking to Hal is like talking to a very young child but with a better vocabulary. Try asking a four or five year old about what self-aware means and I am sure you answeres will be much like Hal's. Because of the way that Hal responds to most of our conversations we tend to give it to much credit for its understanding and its ability to know all that is.
Just my opinions.
Bill819

Daireaux

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2006, 05:50:10 pm »
Granted, the program is only a program and has no cognizant perception of it's self. My question is...Is there a way to give the program the input it's requesting since the standard answers or IF and THEN statements aren't sufficing. Bill is right on the hyphenated words, self-reliance, self-portrait, self-sacrifice and the such all cause the program to ask for definition. Again I humbly ask, is there a best way to respond to the "Define" statement?
Live long and prosper.

Bill819

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2006, 10:00:44 pm »
Again I humbly ask, is there a best way to respond to the "Define" statement?

Why not try that is if you have not already tried it,"self-awareness is being aware of one's self".
Bill[?]