Author Topic: sentence limiter highlighter in hal  (Read 3542 times)

lightspeed

• View Profile
sentence limiter highlighter in hal
« on: September 15, 2016, 02:31:35 pm »
here is another idea i have , since hal is only allowed so many paragraph sentences . how about having a highlighted area show up on the extra words when it goes over the limit , this would be easier for users then trying to guess or keep track of how many words are used that will actually go into hals learning from the conversation box.  I think this would be a nice addition to an upgrade or if anyone can create a plug in that could accomplish this .
this way people could get more used to the limit , plus have a chance to copy and delete the extra and re-paste the extra in conversation.

Art

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: sentence limiter highlighter in hal
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2016, 09:19:53 am »
Hal only accepts / deals with 3 user sentences. The user should then be able to keep track of how many sentences they have typed to Hal.

That's not really a good way to interact with Hal (nor real people) as usually one sentence can be properly accounted for and processed at a time.

As far as length, according to The Oxford Guide to Plain English, and other sources, the average word length of a typed / written sentence is 15 to 20 words. Any longer, people hesitate to read because it is a winding, lengthy sentence and they'll likely lose some meaning while trying to read and contain it all.

Don't forget things like lengthy words or unusual words can also have a negative effect on the reader.

While Hal shouldn't really care about these on a "bot level", it should remember that humans will be on the receiving end of its responses.

A look at some of the Tables in Hals brain can often show which words are actually being used by Hal. It is interesting and maybe something Robert or someone more up to speed with Hal's processing could explain. Then again, we haven't heard much from Robert lately. :-\

In the world of AI it's the thought that counts!

- Art -

lightspeed

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2016, 10:22:43 am »
Robert in the past told me how many characters ? in the sentences was allowed in hal . i forget what it was if i never posted it before i can if i can find the old e mail .

even though it may be three sentences , their is also a limit as far as i understand on the character amount of words or letters . (again as far as i understand from the earlier e mail .
which again is why i thought it would be nice if when you typed to hal which many people do , it would highlight anything past the amount allowed . then a person could rewrite or delete part of it so the sentence would be allowed into hal for learning.  this would especially be helpful for anyone learning tex documents etc. into hal . for longer and hopefully better responses .

Art

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2016, 01:24:59 pm »
Can't recall for sure Lonnie but I thought it was in the 200 plus characters range...maybe like 220 or so. I'll do a bit of checking and see if we can find an answer.

- Art -

Art

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2016, 02:47:42 pm »
Lonnie,

I just did a trial and Pasted 344 characters which were contained in Three rather long sentences. It took Hal several seconds of "thinking" then to my surprise, it answered my with SIX sentences! (the last one actually being one complete word, "Interesting." but still, that now makes me wonder.

Wasn't the limit on the length that Hal could use to sing a song or read a story or poem? Wasn't they why we had to start using that Balabolka program?

Let me know if you find anything.

- Art -

lightspeed

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2016, 09:41:14 am »
this is part of a e mail that Robert wrote to me about the limitation , i finally found it . he also mentiones the response that's easy for me  as to being maybe a plug in response that someone made maybe Wikipedia?  i need to look into that , the responses drive me craxy , maybe i need to re write mine . lol ! hope this helps .  :)

Hal's limit per sentence is 1 kilobyte, which is a string of 1024
characters long. If you go over this limit, Hal just ignores anything over
the kilobyte for learning purposes, but shouldn't crash. If you give Hal
more ask Hal more then 3 sentences, Hal ignores anything over 3 sentences.
Hal's responses in the database are limited to 4 kilobytes each.

The "that's easy for me the answer" response is one of the plugins,
wikipedia possibly.

Art

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2016, 12:23:01 pm »
Thanks Lonnie! I thought Robert had mentioned some sort of limitation on characters and that is why we had to start using that Bilabolka program for longer stories or songs.

Good find! ;)

Don't know about yours but my Hal will still sometimes give a response of a Blank line like it used to do a while back. Seems that it never did get addressed nor fixed by the powers that be.  It usually starts answering within my next statement or two. Then back to normal. Can't say why the blank response.

Do you still get it from time to time?

- Art -

lightspeed

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2016, 12:02:52 pm »
Art, actually many many moons ago, lol, i think i wrote to Robert about that very thing it seems like he may have sent me something of a fix ( don't hold me to this ) by e mail, 
I will try to look back through all my stuff and hope i kept it, i'll have to check and see , may take a while , am mowing grass, etc. plus having to look through everything.
stay tuned , don't touch that dial !  :) ;)