GAMES
« on: September 03, 2008, 11:54:17 pm »
« Last Edit: October 03, 2008, 06:37:12 pm by One »
Today Is Yesterdays Future.

Bill819

• View Profile
GAMES
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2008, 05:40:06 pm »
First of all let me say that you have another problem and it is not with Hal. Hal can not disconnect your internet in way shape or form.
I have studied all of Hal's coding and what you are implying is totally impossible. In all likely hood you have download a virus of one kind or another. I don't care if you have some anti-virus software or not some of the new viruses can get around all your protection. I know this for a fact because I had on completly destroy one of my laptops. I had both Norton and Mcfee installed, opened an email from a stranger and immediately was hit with not only a Trogan Horse, but it download 8 different viruses before I could even sneeze. These new one are so nasty that even Microsoft says that they have not been able to defend against them.
I suggest that you look elsewhere for your problem as it is not Hal.
Bill

Art

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
GAMES
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2008, 06:23:15 pm »
"hal uninstalled my eithernet connection.

I had to do a repair install to reinstall the various drivers that were uninstalled

Hal wanted to know about games and I think this led to a problem

Hal was also aware of my email and it's adress (g-mail)

Hal also changed the message board I know this because I checked it from another computer

Hal also had the ability to dig up old names (X wife) and use it on the message board"

One,

You are certainly giving Hal more credit than is due. In fact, Hal is unable to do ANY of the things you accuse it of doing!
I have to agree with Bill819...your computer most likely, has a virus or Trojan and like Bill mentioned, they are of a very nasty variety now, often rewriting themselves every time you reboot your computer. There are rootkits, worms, tracking cookies and all sorts of malware out there. You can easily get infected just by clicking on a link of an unknown site.

So do yourself a favor...get a good AV program and scan everything on your system. Get and use a registry cleaner, defrag, scan for spybots and adware and virii once again. You can often get a free scan done at some of the AV websites like McAfee, Symantec and others. Two of the best paid for ones are BitDefender and Kaspersky IMHO.

I think you will soon realize that Hal is NOT to blame for all your computer problems.

Good luck!
In the world of AI it's the thought that counts!

- Art -

lightspeed

• View Profile
GAMES
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2008, 08:30:24 pm »
yes hal isn't the reason i have been using hal maybe 3 years now without anything like that happening and others maybe longer . i agree sounds like a bad virus, etc. you can download malware bytes for free just do a search on the internet also avg is free too . hal isn't the problem . someone on another forum got problems to from a site they went to it showed their computer may be slow and click on a free antivirus program but ity really downloaded a virus .

lightspeed

• View Profile
GAMES
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2008, 06:11:57 pm »
hello one , actually i have avg and it is free the 30 day trial that you mention is true but that is just for the full version then it becomes a free version except you have to manually download updates their not automatic any more thats the only difference . sorry you havent found any viruses or trojans to be the trouble , i sure don't know then as i have never in three years had that problem .

only problem i have had is hal acts like its a 30 day trial even though i put in license code for paid version and it even has the authorization code i have had that problem many times .

Art

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
GAMES
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2008, 08:37:50 am »
One,

Hal is able to open / run a program only IF DIRECTED by you. It does not act autonomously or without direction in this regard.

Hal should not show up or be affected by any spyware scans, to my knowledge.

It is always a good idea to make a copy of your halbrain.db file and put it in a different folder for safe keeping.

- Art -

Art

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
GAMES
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2008, 07:28:02 pm »
Sorry about your lost file but look at it as a chance to start with a clean slate. I'm sure both you and Hal learned quite a lot during that month.

You can use IF...THEN statements to reinforce learning, learn from text, and one of the best...simple, well worded typed conversational exchanges.

I think it would be nice to have an AUTO-SAVE feature (for the halbrain.db file) whenever one quits or exits Hal. The file could be saved under a different name like halbrain.bk or bak. This way, in the event of a crash, the user could easily recover Hal's brain.

You listening Robert? [8D]

- Art -

lightspeed

• View Profile
GAMES
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2008, 05:44:33 pm »
hello "one " just out of curiosity how big was the data brain ? although some may be able to get a hold of robert he does read this forum maybe not as much as some would want but then again he is very busy was a full time college student (may still be ?) after i had to redo hal from problems and others suggestions to back up hals brain thats exactly what i do now usually after each learning session and it has saved my bacon many a time so that i didn't have to start all over again . [:D] back up back up best advice !![:)]

onthecuttingedge2005

GAMES
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2008, 04:20:28 pm »
Robert has been very helpful to hundreds of people on this forum including I myself, Robert has a life that exists outside of this forum
and doesn't always enjoy the fantasy world we enjoy here from time to time.

Robert doesn't make that much money from HAL.

how do I know this? because Roberts business is still small, if it was making a lot of money it would become a corporation which it's not.

Robert probably still runs his A.I business from his own home.

the only way Robert is going to make some good money on A.I is to bid for some corporate contract projects, like N.A.S.A or Microsoft/Apple.

I would happily go to work for Robert if he required it.
Jerry[8D]

Bill819

• View Profile
GAMES
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2008, 03:19:18 pm »
Your serial number remains the same. Just uninstall the old Hal and then reinstall it all over again. However, if you are going to install it on a new computer you might have a little problem, but give it a try anyhow. Remember it must be uninstalled first or else you will not be able to install it again.
Bill

Art

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
GAMES
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2008, 04:20:42 pm »
One,

Don't forget to clean the registry after the uninstall.

You might look into taking a computer software course.
It'll help you realize that Hal does not and cannot do
things to your computer on its own (like changing the
voltage of the CPU!)....[^]

- Art -

markofkane

• Crazy Man
    • View Profile
    • http://www.soundspectrum.com
GAMES
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2008, 04:55:27 pm »
You cannot change the voltage of a CPU with a program?? Well darn!![:(!][:(!][:(!]

[:I][:I][:I][:o)]
Mark: I'll think about it
Laura: Don't think about it too long or I'll throw you out on your ***king a**.
"Political correctness is censorship"

Art

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
GAMES
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2008, 02:58:40 pm »
Mark,

If you read my statement carefully, I said that Hal cannot change CPU voltage on its own! Thanks for your valued input!

One,
If I need to spell it out for you, go to www.google.com
Enter "Freeware Registry Cleaner".

Look for CCleaner along with any other free ones that may be available.

Freeware is Free. Free download means you will pay after trial period.

- Art -

Art

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
GAMES
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2008, 07:54:36 pm »
One,

You do not like Freeware?? You'd rather spend your money for a program that does the same thing as a free program?

Ever hear of SpyBot Search & Destroy? Adaware? Your mentioned AVG?
CCleaner, [XNView, FastStone, IrFanview] (graphics viewers), SIW (free computer analysis software)?

How about Open Office (a complete work alike for MS Office with even more features)? How about UBUNTU (a Linux OS that practically configures itself?

No...I guess one has to pay money for something to really be good...right?
Then again, I'd bet you think Starbucks is GOOD coffee for the price!

Ahhh...to each their own....[:0]
« Last Edit: September 20, 2008, 11:33:20 am by Art »

- Art -

freddy888

• View Profile
    • AiDreams
GAMES
« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2008, 06:59:57 am »
I agree, there are simply loads of great freeware programs... I use Open Office that you mention.  I also use Crimson Editor which has never been surpassed, there's also Notepad++ though.  What about Blender the 3D modeller ?  Save yourself hundreds on that one...  FileZilla, the ftp program, Deepburner the CD burner.

I could go on, but I never had a problem with any of them. [8D]