Author Topic: Hesitation at line break  (Read 2858 times)

Hal for Ralph

• Ahh, technology. I love it!
    • View Profile
Hesitation at line break
« on: February 20, 2014, 11:36:10 am »
I converted a pdf file to text.
When Hal reads the text, there is a hesitation at the end of each line of text (line break).
If I take the time to join all the lines together in Notepad - No Line Wrapping, this fixes it, but a lot of work.
Is there a way to avoid the hesitation without editing the text?

Best regards,
Ralph

"No man is an island" --???

snowman

• Ai + Feelings + Supercompter = End of World
    • View Profile
    • http://www.MinervaAi.com
Re: Hesitation at line break
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2014, 01:07:51 pm »
When copying documents, like pdf or txt, there are usually hidden characters. The linefeed and carriage-return are examples of hidden characters. There are a few more also. Hal will try to read them and it will sound like a pause. There are two ways to fix this. #1 manually remove them (like you did) and #2 make a simple filter program that will remove them for you. Otherwise, you're stuck with this until Robert fixes this within his program.     

If there is another way of fixing this then I hope someone who does know will speak up. But I'm pretty sure these are the only ways.
Live long and prosper or die trying.

Hal for Ralph

• Ahh, technology. I love it!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2014, 01:51:51 pm »
Thanks,

'til there's a fix . . . can you help me with the filter idea?

This is totally new to me.

Thx,
Ralph
"No man is an island" --???

onthecuttingedge2005

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2014, 10:25:20 am »
I converted a pdf file to text.
When Hal reads the text, there is a hesitation at the end of each line of text (line break).
If I take the time to join all the lines together in Notepad - No Line Wrapping, this fixes it, but a lot of work.
Is there a way to avoid the hesitation without editing the text?

Best regards,
Ralph

try using crimson editor, it can remove leading and trailing line breaks.

jerry

lightspeed

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2014, 06:58:38 am »
Hal for Ralph . I have found no other way except doing each line as you said , yes it does take a lot of time , especially with a lot of txt files from copying and pasting , as others mentioned their are many characters in a print  that when copied will cause problems within a plug in  " " for example and not even to mention (oops I just did ) depending on how something is written with the word you , in it can give a reverse type saying .
  I did a medical question plug in before and it was a nightmare with having to correct all the extra characters etc.
  it would ne nice as Snowman said if Robert or someone comes up with a fix but until then , it's just more work to go over to keep mistakes from happening .  :(

Myersnib

• View Profile
Hesitation at line break
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2016, 02:42:35 pm »
Thanks for the prompt replies davisd, rhettler, and Kevin,

The problem is not with deriving the customer description.  The problem ONLY occurs on the LAST break line.  All other break lines work just fine.
*Link Removed*