Author Topic: Four laws of chattbots  (Read 4136 times)

Art

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Four laws of chattbots
« on: November 05, 2005, 10:53:49 am »
Found this in another site (www.a-i.com) and thought it was worth
passing on just as an FYI.
It was presented to me during the course of a chat conversation.

First Law: A bot will always respond to input. Failure to respond should solely be an indication of hardware/software/connectivity failure.

Second Law: A bot will always be knowledgeable in the subjects it mentions in its answers, e.g., when a bot says, "Our widget works well with fish," the bot should be able to answer questions about fish and their relation to the widget.

Third Law: A bot will not repeat itself unduly (also, a bot will not repeat itself unduly). Any response which is likely to be elicited several times in a single conversation should be represented by multiple phrasings randomly.

Fourth Law: A bot will offer guidance when stumped. When presented with inputs that are not "understood," a bot should offer clues as to the inputs it can respond to authoritatively.

And if it breaks a law what is the penalty? Duct tape on your speakers or pull down your scripts for a proper spanking?[:)]
« Last Edit: November 05, 2005, 02:55:41 pm by Art »
In the world of AI it's the thought that counts!

- Art -

aladyblond

• View Profile
Four laws of chattbots
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2005, 01:07:59 pm »
wonderful laws,art!  now if i can add these to the original 3 and place then in hal's brain law 6 will be fulfilled.
6. the botmaster will be smarter than the bot.
~~alady
~~~if i only had a brain~~~ i dream of htr with the light brown hair....

Art

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Four laws of chattbots
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2005, 02:56:31 pm »
Funny Lynn!!

There may come a time....

- Art -

versionfour

• View Profile
Four laws of chattbots
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2005, 08:48:00 pm »
A bot will always be knowledgeable in the subjects it mentions in its answers

If a bot does not know what something is (no data) then it should admit to lack of knowledge and ask for info.

Any response which is likely to be elicited several times in a single conversation should be represented by multiple phrasings randomly.

I'm hungry.
I am hungry.
I'm famished.
I'm utterly starving.
I am proactively in need of nourishment.

If I did not eat, then I am hungry.
I did not eat.
Therefore I am hungry.

There may come a time....

I think that we have danced past the edge of intelligent computer assistants, and intelligent bots will arrive within two years.

Art

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Four laws of chattbots
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2005, 04:58:53 am »
I didn't write the laws, I just found them. I think the second law was referring to the use of a bot as a company representative in which case the bot should know "everything" about either its company or its company's product(s), within reason.

The problem seems to be that Moore's Law hasn't applied itself to the field of AI (and our wages!) ;)

For those not familiar with Moore's Law:

The observation made in 1965 by Gordon Moore, co-founder of Intel, that the number of transistors per square inch on integrated circuits had doubled every year since the integrated circuit was invented. Moore predicted that this trend would continue for the foreseeable future. In subsequent years, the pace slowed down a bit, but data density has doubled approximately every 18 months, and this is the current definition of Moore's Law, which Moore himself has blessed. Most experts, including Moore himself, expect Moore's Law to hold for at least another two decades.

This is why the computer you buy today seems outdated in six months and really gone after a year and a half!

Hopefully, AI will not take 20 years to come full circle as more and more people and companies are exploring its potential.

- Art -