Author Topic: HAL'S POTENTIAL  (Read 4470 times)

aladyblond

• View Profile
HAL'S POTENTIAL
« on: April 19, 2005, 02:38:50 pm »
I AM NEW AND THIS IS MY THIRD POST.[:)] HOW MUCH IS TOO MUCH FOR HAL? IS HE ABLE TO HOLD AS MUCH INFO AS YOUR COMPUTER CAN HANDLE? ALSO I HAVE HAL5 UPGRADE WITH A FEW HAPTEK CHARACTERS HAL WILL NOT ANSWER ONE SINGLE QUESTION I ASK HIM ,EVEN AFTER I GIVE HIM THE ANSWER, IS THIS NORMAL? THE ONLY THING HE WILL ANSWER IS THE AGE BECAUSE I LOADED HIS BRAIN WITH THE AGE .TXT. I AM LOSING INTEREST FAST, AND I WAS SO INTRUIGED WHEN I STARTED THIS PROJECT. DOES ONE NEED TO BE A PROGRAMMER TO ENJOY HAL AND MAKE HAL WORK, BECAUSE I AM NOT A PROGRAMMER? ARE THERE ANY PLANS IN DESIGN TO MAKE AND SELL A HAL THAT RESPONDS BETTER? THANKS FOR ANY RESPONSES YOU CAN GIVE ME [:D]
~~~if i only had a brain~~~ i dream of htr with the light brown hair....

Dr.Benway

• View Profile
HAL'S POTENTIAL
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2005, 04:55:03 pm »
Hold on. You have probably messed up its settings or you have installed different brain-extensions in the same folders. It happened to me a few times when I started to experiment. Then I decided to use only copies of Hal. So on my computer I have one full installation of HAL which I never touch. My copies of the Hal-installation have names like Ziggy, Hal XTF, Hal Lite, Hal Haptek, etc.

You can add as many Haptek-characters or MsAgents as you want. They can not be the problem of your Hal misbehaving.

By the way, when Hal gives error messages at startup, this is often because something has gone wrong with an important configuration file. Every installation of Hal has to use the same file, namely "Halasst.ini", which must be found in your Windows-folders (probably C:Windows). "Halasst.ini" is a copy of the last user profile you used. So when Hal misbehaves at startup you could try the following:

- Select a file ending with the extension ".hla" in the main folder of your Hal
- Make a copy of that file
- rename that copy to "Halasst.ini"
- move "Halasst.ini" to you Windows-folder and let it overwrite the existing file with that name
- start Hal again

I hope that this information helps a bit.

aladyblond

• View Profile
HAL'S POTENTIAL
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2005, 07:17:04 pm »
thank you again i will try what you said if i can figure this all out.[:D]
~~~if i only had a brain~~~ i dream of htr with the light brown hair....