Author Topic: To all Hal users - must read  (Read 15319 times)

freddy888

• View Profile
    • AiDreams
To all Hal users - must read
« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2005, 06:12:59 pm »
Yes, I see what you mean, perhaps my eyes were a bit closed there to the possible actions of large companies, rightly or wrongly.  Microsoft probably has it's own entrance with revolving doors at the courthouse by now.

vonsmith

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2005, 10:30:32 pm »
Heard it, seen it, done it.

=vonsmith=

P.S. - Just because you are paranoid doesn't mean there isn't someone after you.

freddy888

• View Profile
    • AiDreams
« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2005, 12:14:49 pm »
Hey! Do you wanna buy the T-Shirt??[;)]

vonsmith

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2005, 01:10:30 pm »
I knew there had to be one in this crowd. [:D]

Art

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2005, 12:09:10 am »
Hey Don!!

Nice to see you lurking about. Have you been able to devote any more time to your project?

In the world of AI it's the thought that counts!

- Art -

Don Ferguson

• View Profile
    • http://www.cortrapar.com
« Reply #20 on: July 24, 2005, 02:45:37 am »
Hello Art,

Oh-my-gosh yes, in 2004 I commented that I had purchased Visual Basic.NET at the local CompUSA store, and that I was planning to learn Visual Basic and develop a project from scratch.  My original prediction was that I would complete something by August 2004!  

Quite a bit has changed since that time:

1.  My "day job" projects engulfed me, and I fell more than a year behind in my effort!

2.  Despite the delays, I have in fact learned quite a bit about Visual Basic.NET.  Just going through the tutorials in the training books, and writing various functional programs, is a blast!

3.  I've had a lot of fun, and I've gained a lot more appreciation for what all commercial developers (like Robert Medeksza) go through to produce a debugged commercial product.

4.  I have in fact produced something that I think is quite interesting.  It's different than I originally imagined, and I've decided that the first person to tell and show it to is Robert Medeksza, since he's the person who encouraged me to go ahead and learn VB.NET in the first place.

In the meantime, I do try to watch the forum whenever I can, even if I don't have the time to post much.

This particular topic and thread caught my eye because the issue of copyrights, patents, intellectual property, etc., has been a recent issue with one of my employers, and because I think it's very relevant to Zabaware and its community of contributors.

When you work hard and create something, you get a strong impulse to show it to everybody in the world.  At the same time, you can get a conflicting feeling, worrying that unknown entities could somehow usurp your hard work, and take away your pride of authorship.

I recently read a biography of Walt Disney that told of his early days producing Oswald Rabbit cartoons.  The distributor owned the copyright and "fired" Disney's production company by surprise, signing up a cheaper supplier.  Disney was shocked by the event, but survived by quickly developing Mickey Mouse.  Ever since, the Disney Company has been relentless in guarding the ownership of its characters and properties.  It was evidently a lesson that got branded deeply into the culture of the company: the prudent management of intellectual property does matter.

(Of course, the opposite interpretation is that if Disney hadn't been unfairly fired from Oswald Rabbit, he might not have ever created Mickey Mouse!)

I continue to believe that the best balance here on the forum is that code-donors should retain the right to modify and re-publish their own original work, but by posting their work here, they should be granting a free license in perpetuity to Zabaware and other Ultra Hal users...but only for use with Ultra Hal.  Zabaware should put a "blanket" copyright onto everything on the forum and everything in its products, recognizing that donors of original material retain their own individual rights to modification and re-publication.

In that way, we accomplish the following things:

1.  Users who donate original code don't need to be worried that they will somehow, someday get prohibited from using original materials that they created.

2.  Zabaware and its customers get the benefit of the excellent creativity of its community of code donors.

3.  Zabaware and its customers get at least nominal protection against the "Brand X Chatterbot Company" doing a lazy knockoff of Ultra Hal using actual exact Ultra Hal code.

I have been a fan of Ultra Hal since version 2.0.  I have seen many chatterbots come and go on the web, but Ultra Hal is still the best (and least expensive!) turn-key solution.  That says something very positive about both Zabaware and its community of contributors.

Respectfully,

Don Ferguson
Don Ferguson
E-mail: fergusonrkfd@prodigy.net
Don's other forum posts: http://www.zabaware.com/forum/search.asp?mode=DoIt&MEMBER_ID=274

Don Ferguson

• View Profile
    • http://www.cortrapar.com
« Reply #21 on: July 24, 2005, 02:55:37 am »
Hello,

By the way, if you want to see a document that discusses a company's protection of intellectual property in a very thorough way, check out the following link:

http://www.rockfordpowertrain.com/supplier/

...and choose the document "Supplier Requirements for Legal and Ethical Use of Information."

I prepared that document for Rockford Powertrain by combining every confidentiality agreement that I could find.  (I also wrote most, but not all, of the rest of the material on the page.)

I am NOT saying that Zabaware should be anywhere near as stringent regarding intellectual property; I'm just suggesting reading the document as food for thought.

Respectfully,

Don Ferguson
Don Ferguson
E-mail: fergusonrkfd@prodigy.net
Don's other forum posts: http://www.zabaware.com/forum/search.asp?mode=DoIt&MEMBER_ID=274

Art

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 24, 2005, 09:22:13 am »
Don,

Some very good points!

I once worked for a company years ago that had me sign an intellectual property agreement. Basically ANYTHING that I
designed, developed, manufactured, modified, created or
stumbled upon while under their employ automatically became
THEIR property!

Though I can see the company's point of view in these cases,
I can't help feeling that such proprietary agreements tend
to actually stiffle the incentive and creativity for employees
to develop anything at all!

It's just the greed of human nature to want all the marbles...
(and the T-shirt)! LOL!!

Good luck in your endeavors!
In the world of AI it's the thought that counts!

- Art -

FuzzieDice

« Reply #23 on: July 31, 2005, 09:23:34 pm »
For you, Robert... :)

I posted this on my site: http://fuzziedice.com/ai/index.html

"Special Gift to the Ultra Hal Assistant Project

The only exception to the non-commercial rule is that I hereby give Robert Medeksza special permission to use my Ultra Hal Assistant scripts in his program and in future upgrades for Ultra Hal Assistant, because I am in support of and wish to help him with his project. Robert is the only one that may include and sell these scripts in his Ultra Hal Assistant project."

Right now, the only script I have is my auto-talk script. You can use it, modify it, etc. and sell it incorporated into your program. I'd love to help out as much as I can whenever I have time. I probably don't have time anymore to donate to helping with 6.0 but who knows what's up for 7.0? ;) I might make a few suggestions though for 6.0 now and then.

And thank you Robert for your hard work on this project. :)

kevinvr

• View Profile
    • http://kevinvr.tripod.com
« Reply #24 on: August 01, 2005, 07:38:59 am »
I notice that the Topic line say's to all users [:)] Well I am a user and even though I don't write scripts because I'm not a programmer, I do sometimes modify them, ruin them and totally mess them and my bots up [:)].  It is nice to know that I may use everybody's scripts and stuff without having to get sued or having to pay extra for everything I use.  This is what makes Ultrahal interesting and if I do write any scripts in the future it would be great to know that others can derive the same benefits as me without having to worry.  As a user, I must say that we (users) would be lost without people like Don, Vonsmith, Gerald, Robert, and whoever I forget to mention,  who so unselfishly spend their time writing and testing these scripts and code and graphics and stuff.  To end off just a quick note regarding laws -  I have lived in South America and Asia for a number of years, and in some countries the law is a guideline to be used as deemed necessary, but to defend as the moral and ethical backbone of humanity.   ...anyone interested in a cheap copy of harry potter.. he he he[:)][:D].
Thanks and best regards to all, Kevin
« Last Edit: August 01, 2005, 07:41:02 am by kevinvr »
I dream of creating a self replicating, self maintaining, autonomous robot :)

Duskrider

• Global Moderator
  • Graphic King
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 01, 2005, 08:35:37 am »
Ditto

[;)]

FuzzieDice

« Reply #26 on: August 01, 2005, 09:51:27 pm »
If I ever wrote an essay or article on law and humanity, everyone would fall off their chairs. [:o)]

Seriously, though. I just thought of something else...

Maybe script writers would be interested in releasing their scripts under the GNU licenses like LGPL or GPL? This way, depending on the chosen license, at least all source code can be shared, altered, and used, yet protect the script writer's credits to some extent.

I had been considering it for future scripts. And of course all my future scripts I plan to give away to Robert for this project, because I really think he's on to something amazing here, and would love to see how much this can develop. :)

alvarovalenciab

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 18, 2005, 03:53:56 pm »
Hello everybody,

Infact, I am new in this adventure, but we all have to say thanks! Is Robert, the guy who developed our dear Hal, and we are alltogether, doing part of the proyect contributing in many ways.
Medezska gave us Hal for free, now we can help him to get his pretty creation even better....

Another Jim

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 30, 2005, 08:39:51 pm »
Mr. M

While I am still a slowly progressing developer of 'skins' or other forms of artwork, scripting, or any other form of programming, I relinquish any form of ownership to you and look forward to a long, long run of your work and our opportunities to in some small way contribute to it.

Absolutely amazing programming, amazing product and a very impressive man!

Wishing you much success and the rest of the members of your forums much enjoyment and satisfaction in using an outstanding product!

Jim B.