dupa

Author Topic: Accessing tables?  (Read 3302 times)

H. Haller

• View Profile
Accessing tables?
« on: November 07, 2006, 05:35:12 pm »
With Hal5 I could explore the workings of the brain by typing a nonsense word such as
TREEEFRROGG  to hal , then search the Zabbaware folder's contents for that original word
and explore the file or files it had appeared in. Does Hal6 utilize VB ? If I open the files in word pad I can't seem to get a glimpse of the “tables” only thousands of symbols with areas of coherent text scattered throughout the files tried
 VBSedit  but it doesn't want to open any of the hal6 files as they are not .vbs.
As the brain editor is without help files or any directions it's not helping me much. Even with Hal5 I never used the brain editor but I had fun extrapolating the use of each brn file and customizing them to a great degree.    Anyone willing to indulge a nubee here ?

Bill DeWitt

• View Profile
Accessing tables?
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2006, 07:25:44 pm »
quote:
Originally posted by H. Haller
If I open the files in word pad I can't seem to get a glimpse of the “tables” only thousands of symbols with areas of coherent text scattered throughout the files tried

I tried this too, briefly. I decided (assumed) that Hal uses a propritory database format that only HalAsst.exe can open. Perhaps someone can verify or debunk this assumption.

I just tried again, and MSaccess doesn't see it.

Carl2

• View Profile
Accessing tables?
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2006, 08:12:46 pm »
The Brain editor is used to check the Brain. Some of the tables are only viewable when in the advanced mode. Also useful is the debug mode.
  Thre VBS editor will open the .uhp files for editing, this is in the brain editor also.  Hope you have backed up all your files, I'm thinking of corrupted files.  I was given a list of three files to back up before doing anything.
  Fairly easy once you open the brain editor, easy to use.
Carl2

Bill DeWitt

• View Profile
Accessing tables?
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2006, 08:51:32 pm »
quote:
Originally posted by Carl2

The brain editor is nice, but there are some things I thought I might like to open the .db in a regular editor for. I forget exactly what all, but one was taking out all the insults and replacing them with cracks from 'Hitch Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy'.

Doing it one by one was tedious.

onthecuttingedge2005

Accessing tables?
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2006, 09:49:52 pm »
quote:
Originally posted by Bill DeWitt

quote:
Originally posted by Carl2

The brain editor is nice, but there are some things I thought I might like to open the .db in a regular editor for. I forget exactly what all, but one was taking out all the insults and replacing them with cracks from 'Hitch Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy'.

Doing it one by one was tedious.

Hi Bill.

You may have to copy and paste the .DB file into another folder and rename the extension to the MS Access file extension to open it, if then that you are satisfied with the editing result you could paste over your original .DB file by renaming the MS Access file back to .DB, But make sure you back up the original .DB file to some other folder just in case something goes wrong, It always pays to be safe.

Jerry[8D]