dupa

Author Topic: Giving HAL "recollection"  (Read 3608 times)

onthecuttingedge2005

Giving HAL "recollection"
« on: January 12, 2003, 04:33:01 pm »
Lets give Hal "Recollection" in a conversation.
Example: The User first began the conversation with HAL and begun the topic of say "Tesla Coils" Hal replied Something Like: Oh yes, This was a device created by Nicola Tesla for increasing Resonate Voltages.
After about 15 minutes later the topic would of been changed a few times over the course of the conversation.
If the Topic becomes idle then HAL on a "Timed" variable will randomly choose a prior topic in the conversation "recorded" that "was" discussed. So The User and HAL are now talking about Chicken Egg's and the conversation becomes Idle then HALs Timer kicks in and his program randomly selects the first subject 15 minutes back in the conversation and says: "But what about the "Tesla Coil".

I think HAL is going to be very impressive once we can get HAL to do this like
Humans do, "Initiatively- Randomized- Timed- Recollection" or I-R-T-R in an idle conversation between User and HAL.
Best of Wishes.
Jerry.

waheedrafiq

• View Profile
    • http://www.dynex.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2003, 11:45:25 am »
i agree with you Hal will no matter what become more powerful then , and i quote  more power than " Humans" which is what we need right now with all ths Gulf war and so call 3rd world , its only matter of time !

Unite !

MCP x 2 , Network+ , CCNA, C/C++

"Never give up by giving up?"
MCP x 2 , Network+ , CCNA, C/C++

"Never give up by giving up?"

WholyChao

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2003, 04:44:50 pm »
OK. Jerry, I'm not sure if you understand exactly what you're asking the computer to do.  Remember - many of the mental functions that humans take for granted are completely outside of a computers ability.

waheedrafiq - What are you talking about?  Really.  I don't get your frame of reference?

But back to the recollection thing.  First off you need to consider how the Hal program gathers information.  Anything that is inputted by the user through conversation or text input goes into the “Shared Learning Database".  

In order to have the type of recollection abilities you seem to be suggesting there would have to be either a different method of storing learned information or a more effective method of accessing information from the "Shared Learning Database"

Tesla is a reasonably specific personality.  I realize it's just an example - but how much information should be easily accessible to the Hal program?  How much is reasonable for one program to contain?

Which brings up an interesting question.  What is common knowledge?  How do we store information?  How can we teach Hal to simulate that type of knowledge storage and retrieval.

Wholy Chao