Author Topic: I need a listmaker  (Read 3359 times)

WholyChao

• View Profile
I need a listmaker
« on: January 16, 2003, 04:51:31 am »
OK.  Little help, please.  I need to find some way to turn a body of text into a list quickly.  What I would love to do is use the "Find/Replace" dialog box in a text editor and replace a space " " with a hard return "
"
... If you catch my meaning.  I'm not sure if there's a simpler way to do this, but that' would be a great help in the work I'm trying with vocabulary and throught development.

Thanks

WholyChao

Medeksza

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.zabaware.com
I need a listmaker
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2003, 11:30:46 am »
In Windows, a hard return is actually 2 characters, a carriage return and a linefeed (In UNIX its only a linefeed). These correspond to ASCII characters 10 and 13 respectively. A little trick in Windows to type ASCII codes is to hold down the alt key and type in the ASCII key using the number pad and then letting go of the alt key. So you can use this trick to write in a return in the Search/Replace dialog of Notepad. Just hold down alt and type in 13. Then hold down alt and type in 10. You will see 2 little boxes appear.

Or, if you are looking for a more advanced text editor then notepad I recommend UltraEdit http://www.ultraedit.com/

Robert Medeksza
Robert Medeksza

WholyChao

• View Profile
I need a listmaker
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2003, 05:53:06 pm »
Thank you again - That inforamtion was very useful.

WholyChao

WholyChao

• View Profile
I need a listmaker
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2003, 04:16:33 pm »
Sorry I spoke too soon.  I used the ASCII code to ender the character, but the character seems to be recognition that a function has been completed - a placeholder.  I can input the ASCII character, but it does not activate the function.

Any other suggestions?  The Purpose is to split a text file one word per line so a large text on a specific subject can be integrated into the correct folders in Hal's brain editor.

BTW -

Several of the parts of speech folders are contracted.  I just want make sure I'm splitting my language up correctly.

POS TRANS VERB - possessive transitive verb
POS GEN ADJ - Possessive generic adjective
POS OBJECTS - Possessive objects

Most of the other folders are clear assuming that POS does in fact mean possessive.

Thanks for the help

WholyChao