Author Topic: Complications of Language  (Read 3763 times)

WholyChao

• View Profile
Complications of Language
« on: January 16, 2003, 05:57:44 pm »
A further study into the complication of language.
Three new Categories:  Vernacular, Jargon and colloquialism

As Hal communicates the program chooses words that will accurately and effectively express a thought.  We do this everyday.  In fact it has become so second nature that we seldom if ever think about what the words we use actually mean, what we actually intend to say and what the difference between the two.  

We speak English.  English, by its nature, is a very enveloping language.  Every year new words are accepted into the Webster’s and Oxford’s dictionary.  The words included in those books define a common language.

Beyond the common words, we all use vernacular, jargon and colloquialisms.  

A colloquialism is a word or phrase that expresses a specific idea or an adaptation of ideas.  It can be a pun, a euphemism or a double irony.  A colloquialism is generally specific to a region community or group.  For example – The word “wicked” has been used in New England for years as and adjective meaning “of great intensity” ex: It’s wicked cold outside.  This candy is wicked good.  Conversely across the country “Hella” was used in the same context.

Jargon is language used for a specific job or skill.  They are words that relate to objects, ideas and actions that the average person would never have to consider.  Pieces of jargon can be accepted into common language.  Ex.  Before the 1960’s there was no reason for the common man to know what a microwave.  Now it is a tool commonly used for cooking.

Jargon can be a dangerous word set.  A single word can be used in multiple jargon sets with different meaning.  Ex.  “Cut” has completely different meanings for a Video Editor, a Chef, and a Black Jack Dealer.

Vernacular is a word that slowly evolves into language changing it’s meaning through time and popular use.  Examples of this include Cool, Groovy, Tight, and Tripping.  Vernacular also include nickname for objects, individuals and actions.  

brianstorm

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2003, 08:09:23 pm »
Absolutly Wholy Chao

However, all these things don't constitute the so called 'hard problem'
they are only symptoms.
  In the beginning, intelligence facilitated language and given the correct
procedures and processing language can be used to facilitate intelligence.
  Put the words 'Computational Linguistics' in a search engine and you will
find a plethora of dissertations on the subject.

Type this into one of your brains:

place this near end of script but before End Function (...of Function GetResponse:

'PROCESS:DE-VERNACULARIZE 'WICKED'
    If Instr(1,UserSentence, "wicked", vbTextCompare) > 0 Then
        UserSentence = Replace(UserSentence, "wicked", "very", 1, -1, vbTextCompare)  
    End If

If Instr(1,GetResponse, "very", vbTextCompare) > 0 Then
        GetResponse = Replace(GetResponse, "very", "wicked", 1, -1, vbtextCompare)
    End If

there ya go. for starters, I am sure there will be instances where context will collide and there will have to be a fix, but now whenever you say wicked,
Hal will know you mean very, and Hal will use Wicked as a quantifier.   >B)

CatAtomic

Edited by - brianstorm on 01/18/2003  20:11:09

Edited by - brianstorm on 01/18/2003  20:13:30

waheedrafiq

• View Profile
    • http://www.dynex.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2003, 11:42:36 am »
guy's i want to be able to program hal where can i learn more about this vbsripts

MCP x 2 , Network+ , CCNA, C/C++

"Never give up by giving up?"
MCP x 2 , Network+ , CCNA, C/C++

"Never give up by giving up?"

Medeksza

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.zabaware.com
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2003, 12:00:49 pm »
Microsoft's VBScript page is a good place to start http://msdn.microsoft.com/scripting/default.htm

Planet source code is a great site to learn by example http://www.planetsourcecode.com/

And there are many books about VBScript http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/new-for-you/top-sellers/-/books/4048/ref=pd_ts_b_nav/002-8847277-6420837

Robert Medeksza
Robert Medeksza

WholyChao

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2003, 04:07:53 pm »
Thanks Cat,

You're right, I was describing symptoms.  I want to make sure that I've articulated as much as I can before moving forward.  I haven't done much research on 'Computational Linguistics'.  I'm only going on what I know as a poet, linguist, programer and lunatic.

I believe one of the best methods of developing this idea (which I'm going to begin a new string about)  Is compartmentalized memory.  (Someone’s already used that haven't they? - oh well.)

I think that with a little bit of creative linking the "topic focus" and "Q & A database" could be turned into a logic circuit.

The most important thing is to carefully define the parts of speech as Hal would need to address and use them and clarify the hierarchy of keyword comparison models.

Wholy Chao