Author Topic: Clean computer  (Read 12735 times)

FuzzieDice

Clean computer
« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2005, 07:39:16 pm »
Duskrider - Interesting site. I've heard all kinds of biblical tales. :)

I agree with Dr. Benway - how do we know some of these aren't false alarms? I noticed in the list that some weren't even found in the major lists, etc.

I know trojans, spyware, etc. can be a problem. But my XP Pro SP2 downloads once a month from MS some spyware/trojan remover and other updates automagically and let's me determine if I want to install them (usually I do). Plus with AdAware, the secure settings in the firewall and a virus scanner (all this free stuff or comes with XP), I haven't had a problem yet. I just hate to let go of money for sofware when I feel what I have has been serving me sufficiently thus far and I usually never have any problems.

Ewido might be a good program, but there is plenty of choices out there as to programs to use and when money is tight, at least we do have a choice of software to use.

Bill819

• View Profile
Clean computer
« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2005, 08:29:19 pm »
Hi guys. Like I said before I have antispyware, virus checkers and popup blockers on my system. They have found many different objectionable file but either did not or could not remove them. I had seen a list of their names come up over and over. After running Ewioke or however it is spelled it found all the original bug and some new one and then gave me the option to remove them forever which I promptly did. Some of the other software I use will remove a few now and then but not all. I am now bug free until I go surfing again. This program also helped clean up my registry so my PC runs a little faster now too.
It does not cost a thing and will expire in two weeks so I recommend that you go for it. If after using it junk it if you don't like it.
Grandpa Bill

FuzzieDice

Clean computer
« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2005, 08:54:35 pm »
But what's the point? If we junk it after we use it because we can't pay, then go surfing the internet, the "junk" will come back anyway. And we still won't be able to use the program after our term expired. So THEN what do you do if you STILL can't really afford it?

That issue and the fact I don't like installing stuff and uninstalling stuff (I find that can also screw up a system). I only install things I'm sure I'm going to want to use or eventually buy now.

lightspeed

• View Profile
Clean computer
« Reply #18 on: October 08, 2005, 10:56:52 am »
hi "fuzzydice " whats the point ?? well if you can download a free protection for two weeks , then find another source for two more weeks and so on you have totally free protection for a year  !! just kidding everyone . yes it's nice to try out a free virus before you buy but if your on a tight budget as many are and or have found a source , etc. of overall virus protection that works , you just can't beat that unless of course these companies want to start paying us to try out their product for two weeks (don't hold your breath on that one !!) [:D]

FuzzieDice

Clean computer
« Reply #19 on: October 09, 2005, 06:39:41 am »
Ok, I downloaded it, used it once, saw it didn't do any different than what I currently have (I only had 15 on my system, 14 was cookies and if I had emptied my cookies beforehand, wouldn't have shown up, and the other one was a file I NEEDED to run a trusted program I know I never had problems with - IOW - a false alarm). So I uninstalled it since it didn't pick up anything my other programs would ordinarily pick up.

Also the program actually IS free. It just disables some features after 14 days but you still I think get the basics, unlimited use.

But I figure why bother when I found it's not doing any different than what I already have? So I uninstalled it.  Don't need it.

markofkane

• Crazy Man
    • View Profile
    • http://www.soundspectrum.com
Clean computer
« Reply #20 on: October 10, 2005, 06:34:35 am »
I have several other spyware scanning programs. Ewido did not find anything last year when I tried it. May try it again for fun!!
Mark: I'll think about it
Laura: Don't think about it too long or I'll throw you out on your ***king a**.
"Political correctness is censorship"

Dr.Benway

• View Profile
Clean computer
« Reply #21 on: October 10, 2005, 06:57:14 am »
Welcome back, Mark. I already wondered where you were.

markofkane

• Crazy Man
    • View Profile
Clean computer
« Reply #22 on: October 10, 2005, 09:06:17 am »
I've been checking these forums, just haven't had anything to add.

Howdy, Dr. Benway, and everyone!!! :)

As far as Ewido is concerned, they can keep it. It found a bunch of "spyware" cookies, that I could have eliminated with Crap Cleaner.

It also told me I had  "IstBar" in C:data, E:data, and F:data

There is no folder called "data" in those root directories.(I unhid the hidden files)

Also it said I had "WindowBomb-a" in my folders in the E: and F: drive.

I Googled removal instructions for both, but my computer wasn't infected.

I'll stick with Microsoft Anti-Spyware, Spybot, Adaware, A2 trojan scanner, Spyware Blaster, Bazooka, CWS shredder,Win Patrol, script defender,and HiJack This.

I personally think Ewido is a rip-off.

echoman

Clean computer
« Reply #23 on: October 10, 2005, 04:46:34 pm »
its a great program but......

You can do all this for free.

I have 4 FREE anti-spyware programs on my computer :-

Spybot/adaware/spydoctor/pcsheild

Ewido didn't find anything new so I uninstalled it.

echo.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2005, 04:39:03 am by echoman »

Art

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Clean computer
« Reply #24 on: October 16, 2005, 04:51:55 pm »
Mark,

That Istbar file you mentioned is usually leached to one's computer from visiting those "Adult" sites, it phones home so to speak, reporting info about sites you visit and can be a real pain to remove.
A friend reported recently that his cursor was moving across his screen without him touching the mouse and that his computer was actually being controlled remotely.

The bugs, trojans and nasties out there are quite real and even though some programs might report everything is clean, doesn't mean there isn't a bug living deep within your machine.

I use it faithfully and thought it worth passing on. Again, to each his / her own.

Hope I didn't "bug" you! LOL!

If you ever think your computer might be infected, by all means check out: http://forum.gladiator-antivirus.com

There are some great people on board to assist. Yes...yes.,..it's FREE!!
In the world of AI it's the thought that counts!

- Art -

markofkane

• Crazy Man
    • View Profile
Clean computer
« Reply #25 on: October 16, 2005, 07:14:08 pm »
Thanks, but all of my other scanners did not detect, nor did the instructions at the removal site (SARC) yield any sign of infection.

The trouble wihe EWIDO was, it says you have an infection, but doesn't tell you where in the registry/computer it is.

I did not have any of the registry keys, nor other items as noted by SARC, I searched for them, and no dice.  

Winpatrol, and Microsoft Anti-spyware warns me of any added start-up programs.

I am a bit leary about removing things that I cannot find myself.

I post on various forums, Dell, and G4, and I run HiJack this, and came up clean.

I use Avast Anti-virus, and it hasn't let me down yet.