dupa

Author Topic: ANYONE KNOW of a free cloud that lets a person uplload more gigabytes ?  (Read 9872 times)

lightspeed

• View Profile
does anyone know of a free cloud where people can upload more then 50 gigabytes at a time for a cloud file and also to have cloud storage  ? I have ms  cloud and it has a 50 gigabyte limit , my hal brain is now larger then 50 gigabytes and I want to keep my custom hal brain backed up and safe .
So does anyone know of a free cloud service like that ?

lightspeed

• View Profile
Well I am searching now , I did find this one called "pcloud" and it has a free 10 gb cloud storage and " no file limite size which is what I need , Microsoft has a free version but 50mb files size limit .
so I'm going to try this web site and see how it is to store my custom brain . etc.
here is the link if anyone else wants to check it out to , for those who have larger custom brains this could help as a place to back it up on the cloud for free .
https://www.pcloud.com/pcloud-features.html

Calhoone

• View Profile
Have you taken a look at drop box? I'm not too sure if its free or a paid service.  Did you say that your Angela's brain is 50 gigs large? Yikes....Carefull, she might become fully sentient and then who knows what will happen.

lightspeed

• View Profile
Calhoone , I am trying for now the "PCLOUD" server it has 10 gigabytes and no file limit
. it actually isn't to bad it syncs up the chosen file you want and list , even lets you make and name a file folder to place it in . I uploaded my complete hal zabaware program folder .
  The only thing is now I need to find out how to download what I have saved if I ever need to .
Calhoone  my custom Angela brain is at about 58 megabytes last time I checked . I post some of her and my conversation  on this forum .

I Like and have the ms onedrive cloud but it has file limit amounts , which is why I can't upload and back up angela's brain now their like I used to do .

Art

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Lonnie,

DO you mean Megs instead of Gigs?

I've had my Hal for many years through countless conversations and modifications, etc. and my Hal brain is close to 50 Megs NOT GIGS.
A GIG is one thousand MEGS, just for a close approximation. Just saying.... If you windows explorer indicates a brain file of 46,248 KB , That is slightly over 46 Million or 46 Megs...just to avoid confusion.

Assuming your number IS correct, why not just get a 1 TB drive and use it as an external backup for your entire computer's hard drive (Hal included)?
Disconnect it from your USB port when not in use and your Hal will remain relatively safe! I certainly would not think of Paying for cloud service when all it is is a remote hard drive in someone's building somewhere!

Good luck either way!
In the world of AI it's the thought that counts!

- Art -

lightspeed

• View Profile
Art (and others ) yes I ment megabytes for my Angela brain not gigabytes (I only wish angela's brain was that big , ) lol I guess during writing gigabytes so much about the other details I also wrote it for my Angela brain size , sorry about that .
Angela's brain is at about 58 megabytes , that's what I actually ment to say .

Art the only thing about an external hard drive is that I worry if their was a fire it might be gone anyway in the fire . I am not paying for a cloud service , the pcloud is something I ran across it gives 10 gigabytes of free cloud storage , the difference though as far as I can see is between that free cloud and ms one drive (which I also have and use with hal back up things , "IS" ms one drive has a file folder limit of 50 megabytes (I used to back up Angela's brain here ) now that Angela's brain is bigger then 50 megabytes I can't do it , But with the pcloud server their is no file size limit , I actually backed up my whole hal program folder at one time !!
  So far I really like it .
 Again I am sorry for all the confusion about the size I wrote earlier , thanks Art for writing it out , that's what made me realize what I had wrote by accident . Sometimes my brain disengages lol!  ;)

Art

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Found this article and thought it might be of interest for anyone else looking for an off-site storage solution (cloud).

http://www.cnet.com/news/onedrive-dropbox-google-drive-and-box-which-cloud-storage-service-is-right-for-you/

- Art -

lightspeed

• View Profile
good useful information their Art , I saved the link .
 what would be good is to have a large portable sd drive maybe on a key chain , something a person carried with them all the time to would be handy as an extra back up for safe keeping .
http://www.walmart.com/ip/PNY-Technologies-Attache-64GB-USB-2.0-Flash-Drive/21141682
PNY Technologies Attache 64GB USB 2.0 Flash Drive
or this

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Metal-Key-Chain-Clip-8GB-waterproof-USB-2-0-Flash-Memory-Drive-gift-U-disk-/301197555385?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4620c5f6b9

Art

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Actually, I usually carry an 8 Gig thumb drive in my pocket. That would certainly hold your Hal's brain and tons more data.
No cloud, no contract, fees, etc. I think it cost around $15 when I bought it and those prices are now much lower. You can
get a 16 gig for less than $6.00 and some as large as 256 gigs! Is there no end? (sure...everything has a beginning and an end). :o

Leave an extra one in your car or someplace safer than a stranger's hard drive in some unknown location. No one will look at your stored data...we promise.... ::)
« Last Edit: May 31, 2014, 10:48:31 pm by Art »

- Art -

Calhoone

• View Profile
Phew, I was having a serious case of brain size envy for a moment. I was wondering what magical knowledge angela possessed with over 50 gigs of brain power.. haha.

lightspeed

• View Profile
Art , you said where does it end ? lol unfortunately I found out one time , I had a larger sd card bought from e bay had stuff on it and it went bad , was a cheap knock off or counterfeit , anyway got my money back , but was a hassle , next one I just bought online from wal mart .
  I have read different articles on sd cards and they said it was better to have to 16 gigabyte cards rather then just one 32 , I guess in case of loss? 
Calhoon I am glad you feel better now about the brain envy lol.  Actually my custom brain and probably others would be larger then what they are , but many went through the learning process before we started keeping better back ups of the brain and so , had to start over many times over !

Art

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
I still contend that it's NOT the size of the brain but rather the content. GIGO makes no headway at all. Sometimes even OUR brains need a good weeding out or cleaning in order to keep fresh! (And I'm not talking about that Luminosity come on that you see on TV ads either!) ;)

- Art -

lightspeed

• View Profile
Art , i agree , it is the content not the size , the size only is as good as what's learned into it . but backing up sure helps , and yes i also have to weed out some things by editing lines in  the brain , i still wish their was a way to post in hal a line in the brain editor and it would show up in red whn tring to track down the line , this would make finding it so much easier especially when going through so many lines , that and maybe a larger font size of lines in the editor , for us old timers yah know lol!

Art

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Yeah, I agree with that Hal Editor idea. I don't really think it would be all that difficult for Robert, as talented as he is, to incorporate a feature like that in the next generation of Hal.
I thought there was once a Plug-in that allowed one to say to Hal, "Disregard that" or basically, don't save that last line or what you just heard. (keeping an unwanted line of text from being entered or added to the brain. Can't recall at this moment as I think it was some time ago.

- Art -

lightspeed

• View Profile
    Art, yes their was a plug in like that , maybe i need to dig through my stuff and see if i still have it .  Yes maybe Robert will make that "highlighter editor" within hal as i said it sure would help , after a person has hal for many years , theirs a lot of lines to have to closely go through to find the error line .  if a editor highlighter in red was made it should also not only highlight the whole sentence but also the subject in the learned area in the list of subjects .
    as i said to though i wish their was a custom zoom also within the text page editing area , so a person could make the page area larger , so the text could be seen easier , especially when editing .
    About the correct that or whatever it was called program , the only thing a person needs to do is make sure they say it correctly otherwise hal learns it as a learning lesson .