dupa

Author Topic: Thinking and yes me thinking can be dangerous sometimes ;D  (Read 8828 times)

Art

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Thinking and yes me thinking can be dangerous sometimes ;D
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2015, 08:39:30 am »
Yep, Sci-Fi books and movies are where a large portion of my thoughts and ideas stem from in one manner or another. As a child growing up in the 50's, I imagined a laser beam or ray that could be shot from a gun or pistol like device. Problem is, lasers weren't invented until almost 1960!

The Dick Tracy Two-Way wrist radio was a marvel, a science fiction novelty in the 40's and 50's...now we have far better communication devices. Sci-Fi usually comes to pass in the short term.

But speaking of books, I can personally recommend several of these. The beauty is, they're eBooks and each a fairly short read but quite entertaining and chocked full of ideas along with memory, androids, alternate worlds, implants, future life, etc.

C.D. Clement's Continuation | Cory Doctorow's Eastern Standard Tribe | Ivan Turner's Life Broker | Joshua Hale Fialkov's Belly Button Reset | Luke Bergeron's Madelines Children | M. Darusha Wehm's Beautiful Red | Michael Graeme's The Man Who Could Not Forget & The Man Who Talked to Machines | Mike Deering's After the Singularity, Janice-Robot Maid, Julie Metaform, The Singularity | Moxie Mezcal's Concrete Underground | Wesley Allison's His Robot Girlfriend.

These are all available for FREE online though a bit of digging might be required. They are good reads inline with a lot of our views. Most can be found at www.feedbooks.com
In the world of AI it's the thought that counts!

- Art -

lightspeed

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2015, 09:00:37 am »
Great recommended reading Art , but a question are you a human please fill out the letters and numbers below to prove you are a human , this is to stop spammers ...... bwaaa haaa haa haa lol!  :) ;)

Art

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2015, 07:12:37 pm »
Nice one. You must have remembered that I hate (yes, my friends...I know...Hate is such a...Strong word!...Deal with it!!) those CAPTCHA things!! Those infernal Twisted and Convoluted Letters and Numbers that are so contorted your average PHD has trouble trying to read and decipher them!!

Actually, many years ago there was a chatbot that challenged the user / visitor to Prove that it was a Human! It was pretty good at making one think and it had plenty of information in order to disprove many of one's theories! Lots of fun but it made you think!!
Wish it was still around. I think the name was Mr. Mind or something like that!!

I B C N U LS.

- Art -

lightspeed

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2015, 08:37:58 pm »
Art with the break thru in hacking and programing I wonder just how long the captcha can hold out before someone creates a program that can still read the crooked etc. letters and write them in bypassing that security to ? lol

Art

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2015, 08:27:31 am »
Oh...good point my friend. I had just read something about that very thought. Here's a bit to chew on. You are hungry aren't you? Hehe...:

In October 2013, artificial intelligence company Vicarious claimed that it had developed software that was able to solve modern CAPTCHAs with character recognition rates of up to 90%.[15] Unlike the previous one-off successes that made use of flaws in specific CAPTCHA tests, Vicarious asserted that its algorithms were powered by a holistic vision system modeled after insights from the human brain. The company also indicated that its AI was not specifically designed to complete CAPTCHA but rather to correctly recognize photographs, videos, and other visual data. However, Luis von Ahn, a pioneer of early CAPTCHA and founder of reCAPTCHA, expressed skepticism, stating: "It's hard for me to be impressed since I see these every few months." He pointed out that 50 similar claims to that of Vicarious's have been made since 2003.

Computer character recognition

Although CAPTCHAs were originally designed to defeat standard OCR software designed for document scanning, a number of research projects have proven that it is possible to defeat many CAPTCHAs with programs that are specifically tuned for a particular type of CAPTCHA. For CAPTCHAs with distorted letters, the approach typically consists of the following steps:

Removal of background clutter, for example with color filters and detection of thin lines.
    Segmentation, i.e. splitting the image into segments containing a single letter.
    Identifying the letter for each segment.

Step 1 is typically very easy to do automatically. In 2005, it was also shown that neural network algorithms have a lower error rate than humans in step 3.[22] The only part where humans still outperform computers is step 2. If the background clutter consists of shapes similar to letter shapes, and the letters are connected by this clutter, the segmentation becomes nearly impossible with current software. Hence, an effective CAPTCHA should focus on step 2, the segmentation.

Neural networks have been used with great success to defeat CAPTCHAs as they are generally indifferent to both affine and non-linear transformations. As they learn by example rather than through explicit coding, with appropriate tools very limited technical knowledge is required to defeat more complex CAPTCHAs.

Some CAPTCHA-defeating projects:

Mori et al. published a paper in IEEE CVPR'03 detailing a method for defeating one of the most popular CAPTCHAs, EZ-Gimpy, which was tested as being 92% accurate in defeating it.[23] The same method was also shown to defeat the more complex and less-widely deployed Gimpy program 33% of the time. However, the existence of implementations of their algorithm in actual use is indeterminate at this time.
    PWNtcha has made significant progress in defeating commonly used CAPTCHAs, which has contributed to a general migration towards more sophisticated CAPTCHAs.[24]
    A number of Microsoft Research papers describe how computer programs and humans cope with varying degrees of distortion.[22]

- Art -