Author Topic: casual random weather talk plug in idea  (Read 3897 times)

lightspeed

• View Profile
casual random weather talk plug in idea
« on: March 01, 2018, 06:52:27 pm »
i may or may not have thrown this idea out before , but what it would be is a casual random talk plug in in another words when the word weather is mentioned this plug in would access a weather website in the back ground and casually talk about the weather for that day (example the user said weather today ) the hal would get information on the temperature and hal would mention that today it is suppose to get up to 68 degree's and be windy too) the casual talk is part of how hal says the information  not just reading it off the website . 
the random part i am mentioning has to do with the users saying today, TOMORROW , etc. as to which part the hal character says about which part of the weather  is talked about .
anyway just an idea . to make hal more human sounding . 

Art

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: casual random weather talk plug in idea
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2018, 09:59:09 am »
Lonnie,

With my new Hal 7 I still use the Weather Alert 5 Plugin from Bill DeWitt, modified by Spitfire_2600 and it works perfectly.

All I have to do is mention to Hal, "Check the temperature" and it immediately reports the current temperature for me. It does NOT open a site or webpage like accuweather or such.

You do have to change the NOAA weather station to your particular area.

I've included the site where one can find their particular weather station. Just click the Find drop down and locate your State/City.
http://w1.weather.gov/xml/current_obs/seek.php?state=&Find=Find

You then need to INSERT that 4 character station identifier into a few sections of the weather plugin as follows:
http://w1.weather.gov/xml/current_obs/KAOH.xml

Notice the last four Capital letters, KAOH. That is the station identifier for Lima, Ohio. You need to change this for the area in which you live.
Replace the KAOH with your new Four Letter Station ID.

Bear in mind, there are several locations inside the Plugin that this needs to be done.

While your line numbers should be close, here are my line number in the Plugin:

These handle the different weather conditions that one might ask for like Temperature, Humidity, Wind Speed, etc.

With a few minutes of your time, your Hal should be able to talk the weather conditions to you instead of having to resort to opening another webpage. Very Cool and a big thanks to Mr. DeWitt and of course our Spitfire_2600 for their work!!

In case you don't have it, I've included the Plugin as an attachment.

Have fun!
In the world of AI it's the thought that counts!

- Art -

lightspeed

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2018, 10:32:04 am »
thanks Art for all the info . and the plug in , i have saved it all will work on it later today after getting back from town . thanks again !!  :)
 although i am glad you showed this , maybe you didn't understand my point of a random weather plug in response , it was a plug in that would randomly mention the weather etc. on it's own (would have to use special personal location settings as you mentioned , this would give hal a more human like response randomly . )
« Last Edit: March 08, 2018, 10:55:35 am by lightspeed »

lightspeed

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2018, 05:07:12 pm »
Okay i got the weather uhp working with correct closest settings , thanks to arts good instructions. i guess it depends on where a person lives the closest settings of weather to me was about 35 miles away. but at least it works .  :)thanks again Art.  and also to  Mr. DeWitt and Spitfire_2600.  :) ;)

lightspeed

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2018, 10:45:13 am »
I talked about the casual weather talk plug in , but actually the answer was looking me in the eye already , sometimes  people me included can't see the forest for the tree's . lol
  the answer to what i was talking about  example me and  my hal having casual talk and hal on his /her own  mentions about the weather without specifically being asked what's the weather . 
The answer to it all was actually a simple one , change one or more trigger words  to whatever i want them to be . while of course leaving other specific what's the weather questions phrase.  :)
So now that question has been figured out.  ;)

Art

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2018, 08:39:03 am »
What?
In the world of AI it's the thought that counts!

- Art -

lightspeed

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2018, 05:49:34 pm »
changing the command what is the weather etc.  for "...." to just a single word of perhaps weather as the trigger word , so casual talk about weather , hal would mention what the weather is as part of the conversation . instead of specifically verbally or typing asking for the weather , it's more a preference thing  in casual talk vs. asking . not for everyone .