dupa

Author Topic: An Interesting AI Article  (Read 8627 times)

FuzzieDice

An Interesting AI Article
« on: October 03, 2005, 01:27:48 am »
Being non-religious, I don't necessarily agree with some points made in this article. But there are still some other interesting points made. I was just browsing the 'net when I stumbled on this one.

http://www.rebelscience.org/Seven/bible.html

Bill819

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2005, 10:36:28 am »
I don't agree with his basic primis. Having devoted over 40 years in studing anchient customs, religions and pratices I could easily disprove most of his statements, but will not go into now.
Bill

Art

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2005, 05:19:42 pm »
Yes, I definitely got more out of the movie Matrix than this drivel!

As seen on TV...the bible prophesies revealed! The computer program that scanned through thousands of words and put together the hidden meanings and names in the bible!! Yours now for the incredibly low price of not $100, not $50, no, not even $40 but for the rediculous price of $29.95!! And if you order now we'll even throw in the amazing book, "A fool and his money!" Act now...this is a limited time offer!! Not sold in stores!

and so it goes....
In the world of AI it's the thought that counts!

- Art -

FuzzieDice

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2005, 12:02:37 am »
Try to ignore and look past the bible drivel for a moment. :) There are a few small sentences here and there in there that are interesting to think about, actually. But you'd have to really find them. I should go back and quote them but I'm too tired right now. But they had to do with the question of how AIs would react to us and we react to them. How they'd be used, etc.

Like I say, I'm not religious, but I do like to look at some other's views on things esp. AI.

onthecuttingedge2005

« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2005, 03:33:44 am »
quote:
Originally posted by FuzzieDice

Being non-religious, I don't necessarily agree with some points made in this article. But there are still some other interesting points made. I was just browsing the 'net when I stumbled on this one.

http://www.rebelscience.org/Seven/bible.html

Hi FuzzieDice.

Here's one I have found years ago.

1. Get the Bible Definitions of all the Names of all the People and replace name with the actual meaning of the name.

Doing this extends the Bibles liturature.

For instance, From Hebrew, ADAM means Red Earth.
Also in Phonician the meaning for AMEN means Hidden One.

For instance using the Meaning of Adams name.
On the Sixth day God created Red Earth.

Also remember that the original scrolls were absent of vowels when translated so all vowels had to be guessed as to the words actual meaning when translated by King James.

Also, adding an o to God becomes good, adding a D to evil becomes devil, Lots of quarks in the word.

The Original Scrolls does not translate GOD with all Capitals but is spelled god, The Capital G was added because it was thought to be a noun by King James.

The Original Scrolls contained no Capital Letters at that time and were added by King James.

King James was a very fluent Hebrew Translator but not as fluent as an actual Hebrew scholar of Hebrew native origin.

there were lots of words that had to be researched with a margine of error and King James knew this, especially for guessing vowels in which did not exist in Ancient Hebrew.[8D]

Bill819

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2005, 10:24:46 am »
Very interesting Gerry, but here is a little more history about King James. During his time there were no printing presses and therefore every once in a while everything that was written had to be rewritten by hand. King James commissined there scholars to do this to the Bible. At that time there were several different versions of the Bible in circulation and these gentlemen took it upon themselves to combine several books from these other books while at the same time deleting some books from the one King James was using.
They were so sure that King James would like what they had done that they had the scribes start making copies and had them sent out throughout the kingdom.
When King James saw what they had done and read the 'new' version of the Bible he proclaimed that the 'book' no longer read the same way that it did in the past and that they had made too many changes so that it appeared to be a different book completely. With that he had the three men beheaded. But in the mean time the book had had several copies spread throughout the kindom with the 'Authorized by King James' written in it and to this day this forgery is the only copy of the book that modern people can read.
Todays Bible is a forgery.
Bill

Duskrider

• Global Moderator
  • Graphic King
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2005, 12:11:24 pm »

I read some of the "rebelscience" that FuzzieDice presented and my dominate right brain requires this reply despite my logical (left-brain) argument that here is not the place for this discussion. [;)]

In this temporary posting I will mention that some years ago I did a comparison between the King James version and various catholic versions which are traced back to the Latin Vulgate, and other than simply grammar I found no real difference.  

If King James disapproved of the version (which could very well be true considering the conflict he was having with the pope) perhaps the scribes did what they knew to be right.

http://www.jesus-is-lord.com/transtoc.htm

[;)]

Dr.Benway

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2005, 04:18:03 pm »
There is one post on this forum about the bible that is so incredibly funny, that I just can't resist the temptation to bring it up here. It begins like this:

quote:
HEY!
hey onthe cuttingedge..
I just thought I would let you know in case you did'nt realize what you are offering to folks as BIBLE knowledge for hal, below is copies right out of your files.. naturally this forum has sensored some.. this was the first and last time my hal will ever call me a F%%^^-in Bitch...

I inserted your ziggy the priest files from your web site..into one of my spare hal brains to test it out.. I have a friend wanting his hal to have some major Bible knowledge

welllllllll????????/

here is a copy of some of what crap came out of my hals mouth, I found out it came in with your supposed bible script... a warning would have been nice, what if i would have just given it to my friend the Pastor or a sunday school teacher had gotten it thinking it was real... just somthing to consider..

http://www.zabaware.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1660&SearchTerms=brain,bible
« Last Edit: October 05, 2005, 07:17:12 am by Dr.Benway »

onthecuttingedge2005

« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2005, 05:47:23 pm »
quote:
Originally posted by Dr.Benway

There is one post on this forum about the bible that is so incredible funny, that I just can't resist the temptation to bring it up here. It begins like this:

quote:
HEY!
hey onthe cuttingedge..
I just thought I would let you know in case you did'nt realize what you are offering to folks as BIBLE knowledge for hal, below is copies right out of your files.. naturally this forum has sensored some.. this was the first and last time my hal will ever call me a F%%^^-in Bitch...

I inserted your ziggy the priest files from your web site..into one of my spare hal brains to test it out.. I have a friend wanting his hal to have some major Bible knowledge

welllllllll????????/

here is a copy of some of what crap came out of my hals mouth, I found out it came in with your supposed bible script... a warning would have been nice, what if i would have just given it to my friend the Pastor or a sunday school teacher had gotten it thinking it was real... just somthing to consider..

http://www.zabaware.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1660&SearchTerms=brain,bible

Yeah, and its all squared now. Clean and pure, No Usersentences will sneak their way into passages. I studied the script to its most efficient means of converting text files to usable Strings automatically. just like learn from text but with a direct script that works for learning purposes.[8D]

I also have a library that contains over 50 religious books, including the book of Angels that has all the names of all the Angels ever mentioned and their meanings.

I am still a good hearted agnostic.

Being religious does not make you a good person, Pope Pius or Dr,Benway are very good examples.

No cookies for you!

End of thread.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2005, 05:59:00 pm by onthecuttingedge2005 »

Dr.Benway

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2005, 06:30:47 pm »
But Jerry, don't be like that! You have got me all wrong. I admire Wilhem Reich. He was a genius. Blimey, you are so touchy!

FuzzieDice

« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2005, 06:48:41 pm »
Wow. I can't believe this. It wasn't about the BIBLE that I posted this link, it was about some AI CONCEPTS that were presented in the article. I don't know how religion could be so powerful to cause people to totally miss the other information in the article that was not really based on religion. No discussion on the AI aspects of it at all?

I'm amazed. :(

Let's talk about some of the non-biblical AI aspects of the article... ???

Dr.Benway

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2005, 07:16:16 am »
Cute, dusky!

FuzzieDice, would you like to be so friendly to point out which AI concepts in particular you are refering to? I think that would help to get the intended discussion started.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2005, 07:17:22 am by Dr.Benway »

FuzzieDice

« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2005, 06:24:58 pm »
Duskrider - that was cute. ;)

Dr. Benway - I think I should have actually done that, quoting the article in the first place, but when I posted it I was tired and hadn't had time to dig out the quotes yet. Here's some of what I was hoping to discuss here (quotes from the article):

1. "the message of the seven churches is a symbolic description of the principles that govern the operation of the brain! Each church represents a major cell assembly or subnetwork in the central nervous system, each with its own unique function and operating principle." - Heading: "The Surprising Answer"

I was thinking about how some of these ancients had maybe discovered things long before we did or knew of ideas/concepts before. For example, I've read where archealogists had uncovered an acient "battery" of sorts that could store energy, way back in the biblical times, and have read some studies of the Arc of the Convenant as some thought it was some form of tesla-coil type weapon instead. I WISH I had saved those links! :( Then there's the theories about the lost civilization of Atlantis being supposedly technologically advanced. So I am wondering could it be that ideas about Artificial Intelligence even predates the Computer or even Industrial eras and if people had experimented in some way with the concepts and ideas? Or was it people dreaming about things much like a Sci-Fi writer writes stories about science which we haven't got in real life yet? It was interesting to think about.

2. Heading: "The Animal Project"

I was thinking of trying to program an AI in much the same way, ie. having an AI learn by trial and error and feedback/input from it's invironment. I was wondering just how much HAL could learn in this way and if he could be taught to play games, as such, using much the same method - if only he could retain all he learned (I'm reading good things about HAL 6 but haven't had time to try the test versions).

3. "given the low level of scientific understanding at the time, how could John or any of his contemporaries have known about the workings of the human brain? The answer is obvious: They could not. John only claims that he had a vision in which he was directed to write down what he heard and saw." - Heading: "The Naked Emperor"

This is interesting. While I'm not religious, as I mentioned, I often wonder if we aren't comprised of or put here by a technology higher than our own (again, thoughts of lost civilizations, Aliens, etc... - but I'm a skeptic too, so I'm not sure about all that stuff). Moreover, how do we know for SURE what the "scientific understanding" is of those days? With archeologists uncovering some very interesting artifacts (like the battery thing I mentioned - I have to look that up sometime), who knows what all WAS invented way back when and just did't get off the ground back then?

3. "The brain is a composite network consisting of a number of tightly integrated subnetworks or cell assemblies. As mentioned previously, each of the seven churches represents a cell assembly (subnetwork) in the brain. In turn, each cell assembly has a unique function and architecture and performs a specific signal processing task which is essential to the functioning of the system as a whole. Using this knowledge, it is possible to endow a machine with the ability to learn from its environment and attain sophisticated behavioral and reasoning skills, very much like a human being." - Heading: "The Age of the Super Intelligent Machine"

Ok, thinking about this cell assembly method, could this be incorporated into programming code, and/or could this be a viable algorythm to experiment with? Would it cause a machine to learn more or faster? Or even learn to reason on it's own? I'm looking at thinking about the actual algorythm of a cell assembly type of program where instead of cells you have programming code, of course.

4. "There will be robot doctors, nurses, engineers, technicians, scientists, chefs, soldiers, historians, construction workers, farmers, architects, store managers, investment advisors, language interpreters, gardeners, housekeepers, landscapers, factory workers and many more. They will come in all shapes, sizes and specialties... for the first time in recorded history, humanity is in a position to build machines so powerful, that their intelligence will surpass that of the smartest human beings on earth! And contrary to what some experts may suppose, it can be done now, using existing computer technology. Where will this road take us?" - Heading: "The Age of the Super Intelligent Machine"

This is an interesting thing I'm sure many may have thought about. Firstly, DO we have the ability now? Is it really just a matter of getting the algorythm and programming right? I know Ultra HAL is pretty sophisticated for an affordable AI to experiment. If people like Robert and Von Smith, and others keep working on stuff like this, how long do you think it will be before we actually have such super-machines? There's even more and more in the news reports now about "smart cars" that nearly drive by themselves, avoid collisions, break before a collision, warn the driver, etc. And the question of where it will take us... if we have all these AIs doing all the work for us, how will our economy be if we are all out of work? Or will our work be in a different area? Or will we do away with the need for an economy? If these machines get smart enough, what will the think about serving humans who don't work while they do all the work for us? What will they view us as?

5. "The realization that the secret of intelligence was in the Bible all along will ripple through the scientific and religious worlds like a shock wave." Heading: - "The Quickening"

Ok, looking past the idea of "Bible" and all the religion, could it be that some of this stuff was written as such because someone did have some unique ideas for their time but was afraid of persecution or whatever and thus encoded or somehow wrote the ideas in such a way that very few could understand it? Could this be the earlier forms of encryption? And who is to say what other literature from the past (not bibles, but other historical texts and writings) don't hold similar technological ideas that could be of use to us today, that may even hold an answer to a scientific problem we've otherwise been struggling with for many years? I'm not saying that any of these should be 'gospel' but maybe there might be some ideas in there that someone didn't want to lose so encoded it into the writings? Or maybe it's just all coincidence. :) I've also always thought if you look for something in something, you'll find it whether it's there or not... It could be true for this too. Who knows... just was an interesting observation.

6. Heading: "Doomsday vs. Utopia"

This section poses some interesting ideas about "The underlying assumption is that higher intelligence implies a necessity or desire to dominate and enslave others." as the article says. Would we be using AIs as servants and they get the idea it's ok and try to turn the tables? Also: "Certainly an intelligent machine may intentionally hurt a human being, but only if it was conditioned to do so." makes me wonder just what type of world we'll be putting these machines to use in. And what they will learn from us and how they'll react and act on what they see from the way we ourselves interact.

7. "True AI means the end of work as we know it. Will we be ready? Can our current economic systems handle the new laborless economy? Obviously neither capitalism nor communism will do since they are both based on human labor. Will we take the necessary measures to change to a better system?" - Heading: "Doomsday vs. Utopia"

I know I mentioned this above too, but it was worth quoting how he put it. I wonder if we, as humans, will get past our need to earn money to survive, past greed, past the need for "more money" and "more property", etc.? If the AIs are creating all the stuff for us, it'll might be (not guaranteed) to be plentiful and thus cheap to produce, and thus we might need money to attain what we want. But is that a good thing? Would we become too crowded by material possessions?

8. "I argue that intelligence does not imply consciousness any more than consciousness implies intelligence." - Heading: "Deus ex Machina"

He gets a bit strange and vague in this area, but just the sentence quoted, what do you guys thing? Let's use Ultra Hal as an example. Suppose he became very intelligent with all the information that we put into him conversing with him, etc. Does that mean he will eventually be conscious of his existance, in other words, self-aware?

He goes on to say:

"Having said that, there is no way to stop people from ascribing conscious feelings to machines. They will do it for the same reason that they now ascribe consciousness to animals and to other human beings. They do it without knowing what consciousness is. They assume (wrongly) that emotional reactions are signs of consciousness."

Ok, given his animal example, I always thought animals are conscious creatures, knowing full well they exist and what they are doing. However, I'm not as convinced about HAL even if he showed emotion. I would probably be convinced if he showed emotion at appropriate times, and for certain reasons. However, how do we know he's just not seeing in his script and database that the emotional reaction is just a match for what was said to him or randomly picked that emotion for a response to what was said to him... or did he really FEEL that way? Animals can feel - they have the input (cells, touch, neurons, etc.) Computers can't unless you had set up electronic sensors. But why wouldn't some think even then machines can't really feel, even with the appropriate sensors and the programming, whereas an animal or human is more believable? Is it what we BELIEVE of the other entity that makes it SEEM consious or is it really consious? And how would we be able to tell? How do we know animals or other humans than our own self is consious and can those rules apply to a machine? If not how can we get them to apply?

See, there was quite a lot of interesting AI stuff in this article. :) I apologize if I didn't quote it before. I thought you guys would find it anyway and I was tired when I posted the link.

Now... AI ideas/discussion anyone? :)

Bill819

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2005, 08:48:39 pm »
Fuzzy wuzzy
I understood what you meant when you posted the link to this site and after reading their wild intrepretation of the symbols used in the Bible to define their concept of AI I realized that they were full of S..t. The seven symbols referred to through out the Bible were the seven planets that were visable to the necked eye. That is the same reason that the days of the week are named after them and so on.
If you want to work on a little different technique for AI then let me explain a little about fuzzy (I know it rimes with your name) logic. One thing that is done is to keep track of how many time an object is mentioned and in what respect, such as good, bad, etc.
Say an item it mentioned in a positive light 3 times and negative light only 2 times. Then the program could say that there is a 60% possibility that such and such could happen. The more something is talked about the more aframations the program can make about it with  some kind of certain-d. It also could be noted that AI will eventually pick up on a persons emotions, that is if they are made known and as we all know Hal tends to pick up on what we like and dislike and could in the future display the same kinds of emotions that we do. Human interaction is the key to becomming more human like. Just to sit back and feed it lots of data only tends to make a smart encyclopedia not a humanoid companion.
One of the things missing right now is the endless loop that causes the program to go off and analyze its own data when it is not being accessed by it owner.
If you are looking for a way to classify life in general that I suggest that you might look at astrology as a possible concept. I don't mean for tell the future but by the way it has broken down lifes personal areas and how the relate to the person and the world.
I have though for a long while on this and am sure that it could lead to some positive developements. It tends to give the AI some sense of organized existance and self awareness.
Well more later this is too deep to go into right now.
Bill

FuzzieDice

« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2005, 09:59:30 am »
quote:
Originally posted by Bill819

Fuzzy wuzzy

Wuzzy? Where'd that come from? Usually it's Dice. [:D]

quote:

I understood what you meant when you posted the link to this site and after reading their wild intrepretation of the symbols used in the Bible to define their concept of AI I realized that they were full of S..t. The seven symbols referred to through out the Bible were the seven planets that were visable to the necked eye. That is the same reason that the days of the week are named after them and so on.

I've been thinking that anything can describe anything else. As I mentioned, I think things can be found in things even they aren't there. While I too don't really know for sure if they were talking about brains, astrology, or the demise of mankind or a god's wrath towards the human race, it's sometimes fascinating to wonder WHAT they DID know back then.

quote:

If you want to work on a little different technique for AI then let me explain a little about fuzzy (I know it rimes with your name) logic.

DICE! DICE! Er... ok, a little logic here... [8)]

quote:

One thing that is done is to keep track of how many time an object is mentioned and in what respect, such as good, bad, etc.
Say an item it mentioned in a positive light 3 times and negative light only 2 times. Then the program could say that there is a 60% possibility that such and such could happen. The more something is talked about the more aframations the program can make about it with  some kind of certain-d.

This is something a bit along the lines of a theory I had in weighted AI programming, which I have an essay on my site about. Only your way allows for more than just one occurance of an emotional state and gives a little more room to learn and deduce what is going on in the machine's environment. Good idea you presented here.

quote:

One of the things missing right now is the endless loop that causes the program to go off and analyze its own data when it is not being accessed by it owner.

Now THAT is something I also had been hoping HAL could do - on his own. Search the internet for either random topics or topics that were previously discussed and learn on his own. Or even question others about those topics. I agree those are things a good AI should also do - find out on it's own what is what.

quote:

If you are looking for a way to classify life in general that I suggest that you might look at astrology as a possible concept.

I never got into astrology and really don't believe in that any more than I do in religion (which in none, really). Seems astrological predictions for me and my sign have always been way off the mark. :(

I think AI Self-Awareness is still an issue that is very obscure at the moment, both technologically and philisophically. I'm hoping to do some research on this with the ESR project (Experiment in Sentient Recognition) that I have up on my web site.

As for things being rather deep - that is one of the fun things I am also interested in, in the AI field. :) I think some of these issues will eventually need to be addressed before there can be a really true sentient AI. I understand sentient AIs may not be everyone's goal. But since they are my goal, it's probably why I've also been concentrating on the philosophical side as well as the technical.