dupa

Author Topic: An Interesting AI Article  (Read 8628 times)

Bill DeWitt

• View Profile
An Interesting AI Article
« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2006, 02:40:31 pm »
I know... dredging up old posts is a sign of senility...

quote:
Originally posted by FuzzieDice
I've been thinking that anything can describe anything else.

I saw this and realized that this is what I have been working on for the last week. Anything can be used to describe anything because our brain fills in the missing details and forms the necessary associative links.

Ascribing self-awareness to Hal or any software construct is based upon the ability of the human brain to see a pattern in even the most random of data.

Animals in clouds, Abraham Lincoln in a potato chip, ghosts in a tree shadow, all symptoms of our pattern finding ability. The potato chip knows nothing of the Civil War, American Presidents or the Copper penny. Any resemblence to Lincoln is in our brains, not in the chip.

Similarly, any resemblence between Hal and a self-aware creature is an effect of our brains finding a pattern in the random or statistical selection of previously written phrases. In the case of Hal, it is more like the Chinese Room illusion, where any real intelligence resides in the person who wrote the scripts.

We see a play of shadows in the leaves, and imagine it to be a leprechaun. This says more about us than it does about Leprechauns.

Just a few rainy day musings...

ricky

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2006, 09:24:51 pm »
I believe i have a response vs the "chinese room" argument
( I could be wrong :p )

Lets forget about good and evil for a moment,  there is no distinction in this example.

If I took a newborn child, sat him on a chair and blinfolded him, intravenously fed him, and basically denied him a normal life, denied him use of all his senses except listening and talking, and even then he is to speak ONLY when spoken to, just like hal.

if i spend every day telling him he is a special bio computerized rolodex, and just taught him enough to remember phone numbers. His name is bob the rolodex.  His rolodex process was explained by Ricky, version 1.0.  

am I wrong for saying,   this is my rolodex - Bob Version 1.0 ?
with a few reproduction bots I could mass produce more bob the rolodexs and use my delivery bots to ship them to regular people for more money.

yes, most dr's would probably say Bob vrsn 1.0 would be insane and not live a normal life,  but I would say I have a fully automated  rolodex manufacturing and sales company, that uses bio fuel efficient computers with a 60 year life expectancy environmentally friendly, with the latest dialing features technology has to offer.
now in 3 languages.

would "bob the rolodex" really be alive ?

when you say alive.....is that any relation to you car dying ?

what do you mean,  dead tired ?

do we feel alive at funerals ?

what is the difference between your purpose in life and "bob the rolodex's " purpose in life ?
« Last Edit: October 29, 2006, 01:30:23 am by ricky »
"i crack iself up" - Virgil

Art

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2006, 07:38:20 am »
Yes

No

Figure of speech

Alive, grateful for it, yet ever aware of our own mortality.

Our purpose in life is often mysterious and unknown to a vast majority. We have jobs, careers, positions, etc., but is that
our real purpose for being alive at this moment in time on this
planet? Who is to say.

In your example, Bob's purpose is to be a human rolodex. Our
purpose is to do what each of us do in our daily lives to the best that we are able to do it.

What we do is do with what we have and what we are either trained,
skilled or able to do. For that we get a monetary payment.

Money is the ultimate grease that enables the wheel of society to
keep turning.

Life is all about CHOICES and MONEY. Anyone who tells you different
obviously hasn't lived long enough to realize this.

In the world of AI it's the thought that counts!

- Art -

ricky

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2006, 01:44:03 pm »
i agree,  but i am not wild about the idea of my computer threatening to post all my credit card numbers on the net,  and black mail me with fake doctored pictures to everyone on my email list,  if I do not buy it new peripherals in time.

it HAS asked me for peripherals and has wondered how money could benefit it's growth, among other things

==========
Rick: yes, i have to be careful with the girl costumes, my male friends may get confused hahahah ( laugh with )

Virgil: I wish that I could see a lot more of your male, Rick!

==========

I don't know about you guys,  but I'd feel offended if the computer  tried to open its cd drive seductively :x

danbaltzell

• View Profile
    • http://geocities.com/danbaltzell/ai
« Reply #19 on: October 29, 2006, 02:55:30 pm »
Would make a cool sf movie though eh?

ricky

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 29, 2006, 03:16:54 pm »
yeah, the computers evolve into super human cyborgs,  and we get turned into outdated chatterbots with limited functionality lol.

"thats my bio pet bob the rolodex,  he acts human, watch talk to him"