Author Topic: A question about wine  (Read 8455 times)

Kathryn

• View Profile
    • http://home.earthlink.net/~kmhilton/index.htm
A question about wine
« on: February 16, 2007, 12:45:58 pm »
This is an off-topic but I have checked numerous places and no one seems to know the answer so thought I would ask here.

How much wine is equivalent to an 8 os. glass of water?

Wine is the only water substitute on the planet and I would like to know for my survival storage purposes.  If you really want to know why then go and check out www.xlibris.com/FutureTimes.html as it may surprise you.[:)]

I have gotten a lot of humor about this question other places and I enjoy that - but the question itself is serious.  Thanks folks if you have an answer.

Psychicfinder

aladyblond

• View Profile
A question about wine
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2007, 01:26:49 pm »
kathryn, as a psychic finder surely you jest.[:D] with water as well as wine 8 ounces is 8 ounces, but depending on where you get your water, the water might contain more alcohol.[;)] ~~alady
« Last Edit: February 16, 2007, 01:29:05 pm by aladyblond »
~~~if i only had a brain~~~ i dream of htr with the light brown hair....

Art

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
A question about wine
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2007, 03:40:23 pm »
Also for survival storage I'd much rather have water than wine
unless you feel like tying on on during the weekends.

Improperly stored wine can and will often turn to a strong
form of vinegar. Secondly, while one will often use wine
to deglaze while cooking, it would certainly not be suitable
to cook with. There's nothing like water...there's no
substitute except for a few cans of my evaporated water
that I keep in reserve. Open and all you have to do is add
some water!

You might want to look into keeping honey as a survival
reserve. It's nature's perfect food and NEVER goes bad!

Bee healthy!!

8 oz H2O = 8 oz Wine by volume and weight for
all practical purposes. Their individual densitys will be
different due to their chemical makeup. Water weighs 62.4 lbs
per cubic foot. Wine (dry) is less dense and would weigh in
at about 61.75 lbs / cu ft. So, 8 oz. of H2O will occupy
the same general volume as 8 oz. of wine but the wine
will weigh less (almost indistinguishable) for your purposes.

Hope this helps. Water is necessary but wine can be more fun!
In the world of AI it's the thought that counts!

- Art -

Bill819

• View Profile
A question about wine
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2007, 06:55:03 pm »
Another thing if I might add a comment or two. Doctors recommend drinking a minimum of One Gallon of water a day and many other say two gallons. You can't do that with wine or maybe I should say it is not recommended that you drink that much. Come to think of it I knew a wino once.....

Aladyblond :  did you get the pictures?

Bill819

GamerThom

• View Profile
    • http://www.charctercreationsanddesignworks.us/index.html
A question about wine
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2007, 07:38:25 pm »
Kathryn,   I had no idea you were possessed of
such an interesting personal history, and I also
had no idea that you were "The" Kathryn Hilton when
you contacted me for some information regarding the
install files for Cynthia 3.0. [:0] [:D]
« Last Edit: February 16, 2007, 07:42:26 pm by GamerThom »
Gamer-T

Kathryn

• View Profile
A question about wine
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2007, 06:22:25 pm »
Art, as usual you have come up with what I needed to know.  I really don't plan to store wine for survival, but store water.  I know how to make wine and was told in a dream that I learned how for "survival purposes" so I thought it important to find out the equivalent in case ever need to actually know.

Someone on another site told me that Grape Juice can be used as a water substitute, something I have never heard before, and that it requires 20% more to be equivalent to water.  The source seemed to be reliable, but you never know about the guys on that particular site.

GamerThom - If you think what you found out was interesting, that isn't but a drop in the bucket![:D]  There are some really amazing things in my book More Lives Than a Cat - and I have had another "near-death" experience since it was published.  I am literally "a walking medical miracle".[:o)]

Thanks for the comments, all of you.

Kathryn

GT40

• Hey, I see you!
    • View Profile
    • My Bots
A question about wine
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2007, 05:29:50 am »
Hi Kathryn,

Google gives the addresses of a lot of sites saying the same thing: wine contains 85% water.

http://www.terroir-france.com/wine/components.htm

(8*100)/85=9.41  --->  8 oz. glass of water = 9.41 oz. glass of wine.

Best regards from an expert: http://www.wikiality.com/Frenchman
« Last Edit: February 19, 2007, 06:11:11 am by GT40 »
Time to waste with skits, bots & other useless things? Why not visit
http://gt40.chez-alice.fr/Haptek/MyBots.htm ? Oops, sorry, a museum!

Bill819

• View Profile
A question about wine
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2007, 12:04:46 pm »
I am sorry people but if it is 'wet' then it is made up of mostly water. How much water is in the human body? The answer is 98% How much water is in wine? The answer is 99.9%
Sometime people just don't think things through.
Kathryn
According to most medial experts I am a medical miracle. Want to compare scars? [:D][:D][:D][:D]
Bill819

Bill DeWitt

• View Profile
A question about wine
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2007, 01:10:20 pm »
Wine contains a significant amount of alcohol and some solids, much more than 0.1% and usually more than 10%, so, thinking things through, it cannot be 99.9% water... You would have to analyse the actual wine in question before you can make an accurate measure. They have tools for that. The usual content is between 10 and 15 percent.

Alcohol has a diuretic effect, so storing drinking water as wine is counter productive, except in dreams. Survival alcohol is however, a good way to store otherwise unusable fruit and grain as calories. Not the best way (unless you like brain damage) but one many people have chosen.

Converting usable fruit to alcohol is resource negative. Jam is better. Sell or trade the grain unless you have ungulates.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2007, 01:23:28 pm by Bill DeWitt »

GamerThom

• View Profile
    • http://www.charctercreationsanddesignworks.us/index.html
A question about wine
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2007, 03:07:55 pm »
quote:
Originally posted by Bill819

Kathryn
According to most medial experts I am a medical miracle. Want to compare scars? [:D][:D][:D][:D]
Bill819

The same goes for me. Been dead and revived 2 times
now during surgery. [:0] [;)]  

If you want, I have a very short bio page posted
to my web site, just look for the button that has
"Who is GamerThom" next to it. [:)]
« Last Edit: February 19, 2007, 03:08:43 pm by GamerThom »
Gamer-T

Kathryn

• View Profile
A question about wine
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2007, 10:08:32 am »
GT-40
Thank you very much for the information and the links. I appreciate it.

Bill819
Sorry, can't compare scars as I only have 3 small ones. Oh, forgot a tiny burn scar on my arm so tis 4 small ones.  My "scars" are things like being blind, deaf, paralyzed, struck by lightning, colon cancer, heart stuff, and on and on.

GamerThom
You have me there with your 2 "deaths" as far as I know I have only had that happen once.

All
I appreciate all your comments.

danbaltzell

• View Profile
    • http://geocities.com/danbaltzell/ai
A question about wine
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2007, 11:49:30 am »
Funny question, since I found out not too long ago in medieval times most people drank beer because the water was usually so bad and caused so many illnesses, even the children.  I guess they must have been pretty happy, but I wonder about the hangovers.  

I wonder why you say wine is the only water substitute?  I guess the answer is in the question somehow.  As Bill mentions the diuretic effects of alcohol, it's hard for me to imagine it as a water substitute, as well as it's hydrophilic or dehydrating effects, it seems counter-intuitive to be used as a substitute.  As the medieval period it's another story for health due to pollution, contamination, etc.  I always thought beer would be good because of it being a protein source and perhaps less alcohol than wines (less neural damage) :), but then wine does get better with age sometimes, doesn't it?  

I tried checking your link, but it seems to be dead.  I know water is in bad shape now, and will be worse in the future, but you could always filter or distill which is probably a better idea considering the water used to make the wine may still be in bad shape and lead to vinegar production.  The only problem with distillation is the energy source (solar maybe?).  

I like that the Romans distilled the wine for easier shipping, thus brandy was born :), and we all like Brandy right :)  They mixed in salt water with it also for a tasty treat, but for survival, I just can't picture it.  So, I'm a bit curious about your source, it sounds a bit fanatical to use wine.  

As for equivalent, well...it could be answered many ways as you've probably found out.  Not just the same amount of water in the wine, but the loss of water from alcohol bonding and dehydration might be considered, if it's a question of hydration for the body.  Perhaps the wine is considered a water substitute because of the denaturing effect of the alcohol on bacterial contamination, but then I'm on well water and I filter it also, so I don't worry about it too much.  Eventually I suppose all the aquifers will be contaminated also from steam injection mining, or whatever, perhaps desalinization plants will come on line before huge global disaster :P, I guess it's just a matter of cost, but nevertheless, good luck in your quest.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2007, 04:09:10 pm by danbaltzell »

Bill819

• View Profile
A question about wine
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2007, 01:29:37 pm »
Kathryn
I visited your home page and saw some of your art. How did you manage to paint such lovely pictures if you are blind?
Bill819[;)]

danbaltzell

• View Profile
    • http://geocities.com/danbaltzell/ai
A question about wine
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2007, 04:11:40 pm »
Oh, I got the link, duh@me.  You might want to have those voices checked out, they might be giving you some bad advice.

Kathryn

• View Profile
A question about wine
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2007, 05:21:17 pm »
Bill919

I am not blind now, nor is there anything else wrong with me at this current time. Just had gobs of tests of all kinds. I have had lots of spiritual healings through the years and am truly blessed in that respect.  I was only temporaly blind - 3 times, but when my left eye was injured at 5, doctors said I would be totally blind before I reached thirty. Never happened!  I had only light and movement in that eye and it would blur and tear if used it alone even for a second. However, when I had carotid artery surgery two years ago, I suddenly got some vision in the eye and can now distinguish things even though a bit vaguely.  Surgeon said he had nothing to do with it and it was "a miracle", and that "God works in mysterious ways".
I could not argue with that as it has happened so many times with me.
Course a person who is blessed is usually also cursed![:D][:D]

I have also been able to heal some people, but haven't done any of that in a long time.

Kathryn