dupa

Author Topic: What happened to haptek?????????  (Read 10100 times)

wgb14

• View Profile
What happened to haptek?????????
« on: April 18, 2007, 10:45:57 am »
Hi all,

I wonder what happened to this company! Does anyone knows if they will release any updates for their player or peopleputty? Or perhaps should we consider the technology dead? Please let me know if you know anything!

Carl2

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2007, 08:08:22 am »
wgb14,
  I've been trying to stay up to date with Haptek, I haven't seen any new releases or products in ages. AI Dreams has additional characters that can be downloaded and there is also Gamer Thom's website for Haptek creations. Clint Brewer had a Haptek forum at least 6 months ago, not very good as far as providing answers, I believe Clint has moved into gaming with another company.
Carl2

jackgephart

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2007, 09:28:22 am »
quote:
Originally posted by Carl2

wgb14,
  I've been trying to stay up to date with Haptek, I haven't seen any new releases or products in ages. AI Dreams has additional characters that can be downloaded and there is also Gamer Thom's website for Haptek creations. Clint Brewer had a Haptek forum at least 6 months ago, not very good as far as providing answers, I believe Clint has moved into gaming with another company.
Carl2

You forgot to mention my site also. Haptek may not want to give us anything but we can still make things for ourselves. No haptek isn't dead it just cost too much for the good stuff. They didn't think that they were getting enough money for their smaller products apparently. That sucks but it is the hard reality.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2007, 09:29:40 am by jackgephart »

freddy888

• View Profile
    • AiDreams
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2007, 10:07:20 am »
I can confirm Clint Brewer left Haptek a long time ago, I emailed him over a year ago to find out if he was still working on Haptek, but alas he had long gone and told me the news about his new job in the gaming industry.

Carl2

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2007, 03:11:46 pm »
jackgephart
  Sorry to leave you out, I think I am a little familiar with you from virtual humans.
Carl2

wgb14

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2007, 04:29:06 pm »
Hi all,

thanks for your replies! If haptek is not dead then I guess that all we have to do is to wait!  I must say however, no matter what their technology still remains the best in the particular area. I have been searchign the web or almost 4 years now for something alternative but without sucess. Too bad that the company refuses to see that and instist on keeping their tools in-house!

Many thanks

wgb14

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2007, 04:30:24 pm »
Oh! I forgot to ask!

There was a rumor that AI dream would develop an editor for the Haptek characters. Any idea what happened with that?

freddy888

• View Profile
    • AiDreams
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2007, 09:32:11 am »
The rumour was right about some new software for Haptek, but it wasn't going to be a character editor - you can edit characters already in a modelling program.

What I was actually working on was a graphical interface for controlling the Haptek characters and making things like animations and have it automatically produce Hap Files.  The idea was to reduce the amount of hand scripting or coding needed..

So far it is on hold though as I have hit a wall due to the limitations of the Haptek player in controlling timed events.  I may just tidy up what I have and release a version of it though, so check AiDreams out over the next month or so.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2007, 09:35:36 am by freddy888 »

wgb14

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2007, 02:21:28 pm »
Fredy888 thank for letting me know! The idea of the tool is good, however i must ask! How do you plan to solve the problem of creating new animations (animations that are not build-in the characteritself). Don't you need the figuremaker for that? I can't wait to test your tool! Will it be uner a commercial licence or free for everyone?

Thanks

wgb14

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2007, 02:29:01 pm »
Well, i think that there is a way to bypass the tools needed to create new animations for Haptek characters. According to the SDK

Haptek provides the skeleton files for each of its characters in a variety of formats. As of this writing, they're supplied in these formats:
Animation Master 8.5 .prj project file
Maya 4.0 .ma project file (beta)

The above means that if someone will get access to these source files, he will be able to use the various different bvh aniamation files available on the web to create haptek animations easily. Does anyone knows where these files are located or how can we download them?

Thanks

freddy888

• View Profile
    • AiDreams
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2007, 03:13:50 pm »
Firstly I am unsure if I will be able to make this tool very useful because the main aim was to be able to animate things like character movements and make things like gestures.  As it is the Haptek player does not currently support a timed method to directly and individually move a character's limbs.  So you are correct that I can only trigger animations that are part of the model already.

I hope that Haptek will improve the player so that it can cope with timed use of the /SetReg command which allows you to move the limbs etc.  The problem is that although that command exists the player cannot currently do this as a timed event - that's something you need to do animation.  If this command was supported to do timed events then we could all be animating the characters freely.

Sooo, basically I am currently at a brick wall.

On those project files you mention - it may be worth asking Haptek for them but they may come as part of a commercial package.  They will probably be stock characters and animations, for which you will still need to purchase the appropriate software to modify.  And you would still need to buy some of the Haptek tools to complete a project.

To answer your question concerning figure maker, yes you need that to make new animations.  But as I talked about above there is also the /SetReg command, that alas, is not fully supported as I have found.

I am going to see if Haptek have any answers I think, because I would like to get this application finished if possible.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2007, 05:27:24 am by freddy888 »

NIGE

• Bringing things to life
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2007, 06:49:08 am »
Hi Freddy,
If i am wrong please correct me.
But i am led to believe that you or Ai dreams has a commercial licence for use of a lot of Haptek products in conjunction with Ai Dealer.
I think Marius said when he announced one of your new sites that there would be great things comming from it because of the Haptek tools they had.
As of now we have seen nothing.
Could it be that Ai Dealer has you guys tied down to his products alone so you can't do anything for yourselves.
BTW,
I hope that his characters that he doesn't show work better than the ones he does show.
Again correct me if i am wrong.

Neil.

Carl2

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2007, 07:03:02 pm »
Freddy888,
  Nice to hear from you again, you'd mentioned this a few months ago and I've been waiting to hear more about it. I can't even get a simple head up and down movement to indicate a yes.
  I'd really like to see Hals world closer to ours, gravity, hands that can't go into bodys ect, possibly this will happen in the next interface.  Best of luck.
Carl2

freddy888

• View Profile
    • AiDreams
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2007, 09:36:31 am »
Nige, you are right there is a contract with AiDreams/Haptek and AI-Dealer.  Marius did announce a lot of things but he then disappeared and I was left to do it all myself including running AiDreams.  Arakus said he wanted to do some more Haptek things but has seemed to lose interest again.

Also I was in hospital for a while at the end of last year (still signed off work by doctor) and I already have had a lot of work in my spare time these past months updating and including more content at AiDreams.

Unfortuantely the whole project has gone a bit sour for me as for one reason or another people have not been available or just disappeared.  So if anything gets released it all depends on what free time I have available.  So at this stage only time will tell as to what gets released.

Carl,
I'd like to see things like gravity as well but that all depends on Haptek developing their system more.  It's not something I have the skills for, and would take a lot longer to achieve than one person tapping away in his free time like me.

So sorry for any disappointment, but at least i can go back to a less stressed life...

« Last Edit: April 26, 2007, 10:07:03 am by freddy888 »

wgb14

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2007, 05:00:30 pm »
Fredy888 i would love to help if i can! I have been working with haptek and various 3d engines for some time now. If there is anything that i can do email me at idoumanis@yahoo.gr

Thanks