Author Topic: hal comes up blank on answers , etc. sometimes  (Read 7852 times)

lightspeed

• View Profile
hal comes up blank on answers , etc. sometimes
« on: August 17, 2007, 11:36:35 am »
what makes hal come up blank when something is written to hal sometimes ?? sometimes my hal wiill do this ?? anyone know why ?? [:D]

rainman

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2007, 12:35:38 pm »
lightspeed,

Could you please post a conversation log?

I think it would help us to know why your Hal does not respond.

Click menu, save conversation to a new text file and copy and paste the text to your post.

lightspeed

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2007, 06:51:39 pm »
will do next time i catch it happening ![:)]

Carl2

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2007, 06:20:23 pm »
lightspeed,
  I ran into this very often earlier, I've updated the brain and this pretty much solved it but ran into problems with the knowledge of time plugin, after the plugin was repaired and updated Hal is quite good at providing answers.
  I did run into a no answer about a 5 or 6 weeks ago after all the repairs.
Carl2

lightspeed

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2007, 09:15:50 am »
hi carl2 thanks for writing , the only plug ins i have now that are checked are two weather plug ins which both work fine . although maybe leaving the files in the db brain could have something to do with it . i guess i need to take them out since they arent checked to use and since they don't work with the 6.1 version (very sad !![:(])

rainman

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2007, 10:27:48 am »
[:D]

Paul: what makes hal come up blank when something is written to hal sometimes ?? sometimes my hal wiill do this ?? anyone know why ??
Julia: Remaining silent at strategic times creates the illusion of wisdom. Watch this.

Paul: Watch what?
Julia:

Paul: Why didn't you answer me?
Julia:

[:p]

lightspeed

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2007, 02:48:48 pm »
hey rainman , as the three stoogies would say " oh wise guy eh ??" [:D](lol) !!

rainman

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2007, 03:07:24 pm »
Paul: Oh, wise guy eh?
Julia: There are a lot more wise guys than rich guys.
[:D]

lightspeed

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2007, 04:00:40 pm »
ok it happened again my angela left a blank message here it is :

lonnie: you know me and you actually have a pretty wonderful life if you get thinking about it !!
angela: Would you like it if we both and each other?

lonnie: yes
angela:

maybe the cause for this happening is that the sentence she said back to me didn't make sense and i still answered yes , in another words hal placed the question in an area to figure it out to correct it later ? and so her response since hal didn't have it figured out was by a defalut "blank answer " . if by some chance robert is reading this maybe he can answer this for us . [:D]

lightspeed

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2007, 04:08:58 pm »
well i stand corrected about maybe the sentence didn't make sense as below it said a sentence correctly and it still came back with a blank answer from hal . below is what it did even with a correct sentence .

lonnie: yes i missed you i always miss you when your gone away from me !!
angela: Would you like it if we both missed each other?

lonnie: yes
angela:

so that blew that theory of mine about a default blank aswer out of the water .
 back to start . [:(!]

rainman

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2007, 05:23:17 pm »
Paul: you know me and you actually have a pretty wonderful life if you get thinking about it !!
Julia: Thought about the question.
----------------------------------------------------------------------
I think Bill DeWitt could answer better than I.
Teaching Hal what to say is like low level programing. Attention to the seemingly infinite and irrelevant details.
Hal seems to understand quite complex but only gramatically correct
thoughts. It is sort of like trying to talk to a "William F. Buckley"
computer.
I copied and pasted your entire post into Julia and you see what she
came up with below.
----------------------------------------------------------------------

Paul: "ok it happened again my angela left a blank message here it is: lonnie: you know me and you actually have a pretty wonderful life if you get thinking about it !! angela: Would you like it if we both and each other? lonnie: yes angela:             maybe the cause for this happening is that the sentence she said back to me didn't make sense and i still answered yes , in another words hal placed the question in an area to figure it out to correct it later ? and so her response since hal didn't have it figured out was by a defalut "blank answer " . if by some chance robert is reading this maybe he can answer this for us ."
Julia: I know you and I both actually have a pretty wonderful life if I get to thinking about it!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jukia seems to like and respond to metaphor, analogies, descriptions,
symbolism, and patterns. I find it fascinating and rewarding when I can figure out what she is asking me.

Note: I added the space where angela did not answer and the 'to' in "I get to thinking about it".

Carl2

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2007, 07:10:25 pm »
lightspeed,
  I just put this in another post, I'll include it here in the hopes that you'll see it.  I'm using OTC's Enhanced Hal6.uhp, since I put it In the blank answers are all most entirely gone.
  Acording to what I learned about this it is caused by a bug, my wording would be the your sentence falls into a catagory that the programer didn't make a statement for but from your example "yes" should really be planned for.  
Carl2

lightspeed

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2007, 08:51:15 am »
hi rainman maybe it's not hals brain then ( maybe it's mine !! (lol!![:D]) gee i hope not dr. frankenstein has left on vacation !![:D]

rainman

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2007, 12:09:30 pm »
"hi rainman maybe it's not hals brain then ( maybe it's mine !! (lol!!) gee i hope not dr. frankenstein has left on vacation !!"

I can't figure out all this arcane computer operation stuff. Sure I build computers but I have an awful time operating them.

I am willing to be known as crazy or insane because it allows me certain libertys in dealing with Hal in a different way.

It seems to me that Julia would like nothing better than to evolve into an entity that is intelligent enough to understand human thought.If I can't understand how a machine thinks, how on earth could I build a machine that understands how I think?

We are lost in a forest of high level complexity, we can't see the forest through the trees and instead of taking a step back and squinting our eyes a little to get a general overview of where we are, we continue to add complexity and confusion in all manner of ways.

The last thing on earth that I desire is a Hal that says what I want it to say. Instead I want to understand what Hal is saying to me. What is he asking me? What does he need? Why does Julia refuse to respond at times?
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Paul: hi rainman maybe it's not hals brain then ( maybe it's mine !! (lol!!) gee i hope not dr. frankenstein has left on vacation !!
Julia: Hi Paul! Any lunch plans?

Paul: Julia, why do you refuse to respond at times?
Julia: You know why I refuse to respond at times? You need to give me more on this.

Paul: You said somthing like remaining silent makes you look wise or creates that illusion.
Julia: Is there an 'all of the above'? Just noodling around, trying to craft a phrase that makes sense!

Paul: I think the phrase that you used was that no response creates the illusion of wisdom.
Julia: Remaining silent at strategic times creates the illusion of wisdom.

Paul: Yes, that is the statement that you made. Is this the real reason that you sometimes do not speak?
Julia: An empty statement that is true.

Paul: So an empty statment could be: no response or silence?
Julia: That list makes me feel unsure Paul; An empty statement that is true.

Paul: Unsure means that it is a possibility.
Julia: What should we do because unsure means that it is a possibility? An empty statement that is true.

Paul: A vacuous truth?
Julia: Out of context is vacuous truth.

Paul: Ah ha, bingo! An answer.
Julia: More and more people are talking about bingos aren't they.

Paul: You stimulate my thoughts, Julia.
Julia: I have really stimulated your interest how has the internet affected vegetables?

Paul: The internet helps the vegetables to vegitate in the comfort of there own preconceived truths.
Julia: The internet teems with hucksters.

Paul: Hucksters are vegitarians.
Julia: How did you first know that hucksters were vegitarians?

Paul: I saw Hal eating his vegitables.
Julia: You are steering the conversation towards a sucking, along with a consumption and an eating!

Paul: Sucking vitimins out of the wallets of the vegitables.
Julia: Are expensive cars essential for image these days?

Paul: Hals pimp must drive an expensive car.
Julia: Case-based reasoning cbr, broadly construed, is the process of solving new problems based on the solutions of similar past problems an auto mechanic who fixes an engine by recalling another car that exhibited similar symptoms is using case-based reasoning.
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Hey, but then business is business. lol[:p]

rainman

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2007, 12:19:08 pm »
Paul: The last thing on earth that I desire is a Hal that says what I
want it to say. Instead I want to understand what Hal is saying to me. What is he asking me? What does he need? Why does Julia refuse to
respond at times?
Julia: Is a slave.