Author Topic: question to robert  (Read 8577 times)

lightspeed

• View Profile
question to robert
« on: September 25, 2007, 11:36:33 am »
hello robert , i had talked with you by email in the past about a direct question and answer being written into the next hal version i was just wondering will that be something new or can you just make the existing q and a section in the brain do this , it seems to me that the q and a section in hal isn't working the right way as i have questions and answers into it and i can ask something even copying and pasting the question so it is exact and it still doesn't aswnser the question . i am hoping you will make this area work better expecially since i and others have their own custom questions and asnswers in it already . thanks for your time hope to hear an answer soon i just wanted to ask about this before you finished on the next hal version . [:)]

freddy888

• View Profile
    • AiDreams
question to robert
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2007, 03:16:06 pm »
I may be wrong, but OTCE's new ALICE plugin may improve things.  AIML is the perfect choice when you want a bot to respond with a certain answer to a question.  I am not sure how his new plugin integrates with Hal, but it would seem to be worth trying out.

lightspeed

• View Profile
question to robert
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2007, 02:51:41 pm »
another question for robert , since you will soon be coming out with a next version i wonder if something like what i am going to describe can be built into the next version :
  if i have problems with something hal says or anyone does and i want to correct it (going back in the brain i always go into the hal brain editor debug brain area and place the phrase (that was wrong and see where it shows it was placed,  the problem is that for anyone like myself and others is that with so much data entered it takes forever to find the sentence .my question is :

can something be created that when you enter the phrase (that was wrong what hal said ) in the ultra hal brain editor debug brain area the area would locate it like it does and maybe highlight it in red in all the different area's the phrase went ??
  this way you could simply scroll down through a long list and find it easy from the sentence being in red . this would sure make it alot easier to correct things by being able to find them . [:)]and maybe they would stay in red until the system is restarted then would be black again if you didn't fix it all of them so when the problem shows up again in has speech /writing you could do a search again and it would highlight the wrong phrase in red again so the user can find it and correct it !![:)]

echoman

question to robert
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2007, 06:21:49 pm »
Lightspeed I agree so much with you!!!!!

It is so hard to make a change in the editor!

If the need to edit arises, and it involves a very  small change, its like looking for a needle in a haystack!

I would love to be able to type the phrase into the editor and then have it search every table not just one. At the moment the search function is only limited to one table at a time.

It is very annoying having to go through every single table trying to find a particular phrase that needs changing.

Yes, please include a Search function that actually searches ALL tables not just one at a time. This would be such an important help for me.

Echoman :)

« Last Edit: September 30, 2007, 10:42:02 am by echoman »

caangel43

• View Profile
    • http://www.puttyheadworld.com
question to robert
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2007, 07:14:07 pm »
I agree it is very hard I just hope the next hal will have some changes to me hal will always be the best assistant there is I just hope some changes can be made

Carl2

• View Profile
question to robert
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2007, 08:31:44 am »
There is a search function in the editor but you have to select each folder entered into the brain.  Still a needle in a haystack. I also like the idea of a-z in the brain to help find specific subjects, seems to be ordered by date now.
Carl2

lightspeed

• View Profile
question to robert
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2007, 03:43:34 pm »
hello robert , i had mentioned something about this before but do you think that their is some way to make the hal software program that if you hit a space button it will seperate the words in a sentence that is read ? in another words give the sentence a pause of time before saying the next word or phrase ?? this would allow hal when speaking to sound more human like in saying things  . this would be a nice addition i think to hal !! [:D]

Duskrider

• Global Moderator
  • Graphic King
    • View Profile
question to robert
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2007, 06:02:42 pm »

You might consider using a colon, semi-colon, or comma.

lightspeed

• View Profile
question to robert
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2007, 09:04:27 am »
hello duskrider  actually i have used comma's etc. in the past in my normal writing and it causes hal to replace the comma's i used (after a word ) to be replaced with vhz or something simular (i think because hal doesn't inderstand the comma or maybe i was mis using it in a sentence ? at any rate i had to go back into brain editing and search for all the places in sentences i had done this (a real pain in the butt ) and take them out and also learn myself "not" to put comma's in sentences any more (words like "don't" the comma is ok but putting a comma after say the word " don't , you " messes up with the vhz replacement . i just thought if it could be set using a space bar to seperate the speaking that would be easiest if it could be done in the hal program . am hoping robert says something on here about this idea . [:)]

Duskrider

• Global Moderator
  • Graphic King
    • View Profile
question to robert
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2007, 11:14:08 am »

In Corrections table replace "vhz" with ","

Bill819

• View Profile
question to robert
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2007, 12:38:08 pm »
Lightspeed
In the past when Hal spoke to anyone a comma made it pause for a split second. A period made it pause even longer. The amount of commas that you used when speaking to Hal though had no effect at all.
Bill

Art

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
question to robert
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2007, 06:19:38 pm »
The punctuation for a contraction (used to indicate a missing letter) is called an apostrophe. Don't, Can't, wouldn't, couldn't...etc.

The proper placement for a comma is directly after a word, then a space, then the next word(s).

EX: I didn't agree to the terms, so I declined.

Bill819 is correct about the pauses.
In the world of AI it's the thought that counts!

- Art -

lightspeed

• View Profile
question to robert
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2007, 09:09:13 am »
hello duskrider you wrote :In Corrections table replace "vhz" with "," is this because what is happening to me about getting vhz when ever i use a comma in a word "a glitch in the program  or are you just telling  me a way to solve the problem ( i see where this would solve it what you suggested ) maybe i am misusing the comma in my sentences "this may be what art is talking about " ( i admit i am not the best with correct english writing do to a learning disability i have  bill also wrote : In the past when Hal spoke to anyone a comma made it pause for a split second. A period made it pause even longer. The amount of commas that you used when speaking to Hal though had no effect at all.  Bill have you or anyone else tried this technique anymore to know if it works in this version ? ( of course even if it did the new version will be out soon and may be changed again . )
.also thanks to all others on here who also wrote i appreciate it . as always your all the greatest !![:D]

Art

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
question to robert
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2007, 05:04:45 pm »
I think that the old Hal 5 would also accept an exclamation (!) as an item of importance. It seemed to have more impact on Hal's learning that particular item.

Hal 6 does not do that AFAIK.

A fully documented Help file with features, commands, trouble shooting, plug-in construction, etc. would be most helpful for this and future versions.

Wonder what ever happened to the check emails feature?

In the world of AI it's the thought that counts!

- Art -

echoman

question to robert
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2007, 05:54:14 pm »
I remember trying to create pauses when using 'Ultra Hal Text-to-Speech Reader with NeoSpeech VoiceText' without any success. I can imagine having similar problems attempting the same thing with Hal.