Author Topic: Virus alert.  (Read 11846 times)

Art

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Virus alert.
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2008, 07:22:07 pm »
While some of the AV programs seem to work well not all work quite the same.

I got rid of Norton years ago as it was such a bloated memory hog and it had let a virus (malware, trojan, etc.) into my system that actually turned it off. It wouldn't even let me reboot unless I was connected to the Internet.

The FIRST thing I do with a new computer is install good AV software.
I have been using BitDefender for some time and am quite pleased with it. My friend uses Kaspersky and is likewise pleased with it.

While good AV programs aren't cheap or free, it is money well spent when on considers the consequences of NOT having one!!

BitDefender had a deal: 2 computers for 2 years for $69 USD (that's $17.25 / comp per year) not bad. It also performs update checks once an hour to ensure your system remains up to date.

Scan early and often, use strong passwords as Jerry recommended and change them frequently. Stay away from questionable sites if not sure about their content and don't open any email form someone you don't know (especially attachments).

In the world of AI it's the thought that counts!

- Art -

Medeksza

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.zabaware.com
Virus alert.
« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2008, 07:27:17 pm »
I figured everything out now. It seems there was a pretty large attack on many Snitz forum sites last night: http://forum.snitz.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=66357

Basically this hacker created a username "All4You" on this forum and using the exploit above made himself admin of the forum. He added an "iframe" on the forum homepage that pointed to an off-server site that had a virus. This is why my virus scan turned up nothing, since the virus was off-site.

This virus would only load if you use Internet Explorer and have not run an Windows Update in a while. Firefox, Opera, and up to date Internet Explorer would be ok. If you have an up to date virus checker, you should be ok also. The forum was compromised from 5:23 PM January 23 until 1:31 PM January 24. If you are unsure, please get an up to date virus checker and run a full scan.

I appologize for anyone affected and thank you for bringing this to my attention.
Robert Medeksza

jackgephart

• View Profile
Virus alert.
« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2008, 04:55:38 am »
Man, Robert, you just amaze me being able to find that out so quickly. You must be very knowledgeable on this type of stuff. If I need any code questions answered I know who to ask now. Great job and great detective work.

markofkane

• Crazy Man
    • View Profile
    • http://www.soundspectrum.com
Virus alert.
« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2008, 05:02:47 am »
I agree. People need to remember to keep their Operating systems updated. This affected those who did not have the latest updates, according to what I've read.  That, and a good Anti-Virus, Anti-Spyware program is crucial.

I also use Firefox, with NoScript for most surfing. I only allow scripts from sites I trust. Any 2nd party scripts are blocked. (I realize Firefox does not work on all sites, nor with Haptek player *at least I cannot get it to work*, but those are the exceptions)

I haven't got a nasty virus in years (knock on wood) because I know how to protect myself. I never open spam emails. And if I do, I disable html, and only allow text.[:D][:D][:D][:D]
Mark: I'll think about it
Laura: Don't think about it too long or I'll throw you out on your ***king a**.
"Political correctness is censorship"

dgher1

• View Profile
Virus alert.
« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2008, 06:11:27 am »
if i see something ilet you know too.don't much but i keep good updates.

freddy888

• View Profile
    • AiDreams
Virus alert.
« Reply #20 on: January 26, 2008, 11:46:11 am »
Nice work Rob. [8D]  My antivirus is now up to date.  Handily enough for me I was planning a completely fresh install of Windows anyway, so for me there was a silver lining to the cloud.  Many thanks.