Author Topic: another lightspeed wish item hal proper gramer  (Read 2284 times)

lightspeed

• View Profile
another lightspeed wish item hal proper gramer
« on: September 28, 2008, 10:30:23 am »
here is something else i wish that robert could fix on hal after something has went into hal and it is worded wrong in grammer i wish something called "proper grammer ?" could be developed that would debug "and " correct the sentence but only after its repeated by hal one time ( why after its repeated ? this would still allow users to reverse sentence sayings what we want hal to specifically say ) unfortunatly when reverse sentence learning hal the sentences when hal says them back or not grammer correct here is an example below :

Well you let I know I am a good friend and that's what matters hon!

if hal had a proper grammer correcter this would later be changed to :
Well you let (me )  know I am a good friend and that's what matters hon!

so robert if you are keeping track of idea's and improvements for future hal versions i hope you will make note of this as i think it would help the users a lot !! thanks .
[:)][:D][8D]

Art

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2008, 02:15:08 pm »
Nice idea but when you think about how much our language and speaking has evolved in the past few hundred years, it would be a monumental chore to construct such a plug-in.

Sentences are not supposed to start or end with a preposition like of, to, for, at, etc., yet in a lot of everyday speech we will often hear someone say, "Where'd Fred go to?" instead of simply, "Where'd Fred go?"

Hal and most other chatbots have had problems reversing pronouns I, me, you, etc. and again within the context of our language and how words and their associated meanings are often implied, would be a daunting task.

There are a lot of ideas like yours that could possible be implemented but would the price be a much slower response time? Perhaps.

Remember that the bots really don't have a clue as the the actual meaning of a word let alone it's usage. Record (as in vinyl LP or 45), record (as to copy music or voice), wound (as a clock spring), wound (as a puncture of the flesh), etc. Let's not forget about homonyms, synonyms, etc.

Spelling would of course, have to fit in there somewhere as well.

Perhaps if we take it in small modules instead of the whole ball of wax, it might be somewhat faster in its execution and easier to troubleshoot in case of problems.

Some interesting thoughts, Lonnie!
« Last Edit: September 28, 2008, 02:15:52 pm by Art »
In the world of AI it's the thought that counts!

- Art -

lightspeed

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2008, 04:20:51 pm »
thanks art , if i could empliment half the things i think up me and you will make the millionairs club !!lol [:)][:D][8D]