dupa

Author Topic: Using the Clock in Plug-ins  (Read 7887 times)

freddy888

• View Profile
    • AiDreams
Using the Clock in Plug-ins
« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2008, 10:47:08 am »
Thanks, was just wondering because I am thinking of building a new Quad Core PC.  My main concern was that I keep reading that people experience poor performance after they upgrade to Vista.  I guess you leap-frog that problem if you get a higher sepc machine to run it on.  Can't see me getting Vista for my current PC for that very reason.

Bill819

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2008, 05:26:08 pm »
Freddy
I have a 2.4 giga hrtz laptop with XP op sys. and a 2.6 giga desktop with XP. Both of those machines are really fast.
A few months ago I bought a new laptop that runs about 3 giga hetz and Vista operating system. The Vista run so much slower that the XP's and is not compatible with all my old software. As a matter of fact if I could find out for sure that XP could use the new procesor and hard drive I would convert it to an XP system in a heart beat.
As an example after turning on my Vista and getting the ready prompt when I click on Windows it takes about 5 full minutes to load Windows. That is totally unacceptable so whatever you build I would suggest using an XP operating system.
Bill

One

• Technology Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2008, 01:11:44 am »
Tender fresh installs and computers are just waiting for all the bloat and log files and progs to slow the system down to settle in to show you where they really set so to speak

IMO you need a while to really know what kind of performance you are going to get.
Today Is Yesterdays Future.

freddy888

• View Profile
    • AiDreams
« Reply #18 on: December 05, 2008, 06:04:21 am »
Bill, thanks for that piece of information.  I have found a lot of people having problems with software not running on Vista aswell, so I think I will go with your advice and build an XP system.  I can live without the Vista bells and whistles - if I want that I can always run a Linux live disc.  Thanks again.

One, yeah gotta watch out for all that bloat...

DarcyEdwards

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 05, 2008, 06:42:41 am »
Bill,
 My old system took nearly 5 minutes to boot!  Now the new one takes less then a minute.  Both systems are loaded the same.  When Hal loaded under XP there would be skipping in the voice, I'm assuming it was the slower disk drive.  Vista does require a power house to run, IMHO it's worth it.  There are times I would like the openness of XP.  I have not noticed any application not being compatable so far with Vista.  I like the performance analizer compared to the old task manager in XP.

But like I said before I bought a real powerhouse and it's not fair to compare it to my old computer, it's not apples to apples.  I have noticed with nothing running Vista uses more memory than XP, but with the cost of memory today, what the heck I have 6GB and the max I've used so far is 4GB.  But that is why it runs faster less disk cacheing the whole operating system can be loaded, network operations are faster, it may be a pig but it's a fast pig.
Hugs

-Darcy

MrsEdwards01@aol.com

Art

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 05, 2008, 07:12:50 am »
Darcy,

You said, "Beside being the same manufacture the both have Phoenix BIOS, this is where I think the problem is with computers that the Timer function does not work."

My computer is using the same BIOS and the timer function does not work with HAL.

I think we looked into this quite some time ago and we all ended up scratching our heads.[?]
In the world of AI it's the thought that counts!

- Art -

DarcyEdwards

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 05, 2008, 04:00:55 pm »
Art,

An interesting note:  I was going through the history of Hal's output and Hal missed one timer event, this never happened before!  I have also noted I was using IE7, normally I use Fire Fox.  Let me add another variable, under Vista sometimes Hal is nonresponcive; this could account for the missed timer event.  

I guess you are right, I'm scratching my head!

[?]
Hugs

-Darcy

MrsEdwards01@aol.com