Author Topic: No love for the penguin?  (Read 8359 times)

Cefwyn

• View Profile
No love for the penguin?
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2009, 12:07:05 pm »
With mono I think it's possible to use C# as a scripting language. I highly doubt that the Second Life servers are programming in C# as they've been around longer then C#, but I do remember seeing something about Second Life using Mono to interpret C#.

EDIT: Ultra Hal Assistant is now in the Wine App Database so anyone can add test results and bug reports on it.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2009, 12:37:45 pm by Cefwyn »
"I've just decided to lobotomist my hal..."

EULA: By reading this you agree not to take offense to anything contained in post above. If you do choose to take offense, you forfeit all rights to criticize same post unless said criticism contains important corrections and helpful information.

One

• Technology Advocate
    • View Profile
No love for the penguin?
« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2009, 03:38:14 pm »
Cefwyn,
VPro IS Intel chips and program for virtualization.
I had two installs of XP and an install of Server on a partitioned disk,, I didn't know the chipset was enabled on my board and when I ran server it also booted up the XP installs and took permissions away from other computers on my network LOL! my isp was calling me asking about DNS resolutions and Exactly what my intentions were?! LOL Hands up! LOL
I mentioned this because you mentioned a "VNC" (Virtual naming convention ??)

>>From Mr. Robert;  Yes, Hal was programmed mainly in VB6, with small parts of the brain in C++. And Hal's brain scripts are based on VBScript. Hal's plug-in system for characters and speech is based on ActiveX/COM.<<

Hope this helps clarify, I too am a person who thinks computers have the potential to become "Dangerous" ( not just theft )we are teaching emotion and trying to make them more human_like and God knows we are the most destructive creatures with the most potential for killing that the earth has ever seen (except the hidden Aliens maybe ).
[:)]
Today Is Yesterdays Future.

Cefwyn

• View Profile
No love for the penguin?
« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2009, 08:06:44 pm »
quote:
Originally posted by One

Cefwyn,
VPro IS Intel chips and program for virtualization.
I had two installs of XP and an install of Server on a partitioned disk,, I didn't know the chipset was enabled on my board and when I ran server it also booted up the XP installs and took permissions away from other computers on my network LOL! my isp was calling me asking about DNS resolutions and Exactly what my intentions were?! LOL Hands up! LOL
I mentioned this because you mentioned a "VNC" (Virtual naming convention ??)

Ah well that explains it. You confused me there. The VNC I was referring to is the, what I thought, universally known set of applications for Virtual Network Computing like TinyVNC, and RealVNC which allows you remotely control a computer running the VNC server from a client application. Most of them ignore windows that are being rendered with the graphics card like videos and 3D applications so you could run Hal through VNC, but you would have a black or blue square where the avatar would be on most of them. From what little I felt like reading about the VPro chipset technology it sounds exactly like their already existing hardware virtualization that can be found on their later dual-core and quad-core processors and which Xen requires to run.

quote:

>>From Mr. Robert; Yes, Hal was programmed mainly in VB6, with small parts of the brain in C++. And Hal's brain scripts are based on VBScript. Hal's plug-in system for characters and speech is based on ActiveX/COM.<<

If the VB6 sections could be rewritten to CC++ Ultra Hal would most likely run perfectly under Wine, but that is probably a pretty major task.

quote:

Hope this helps clarify, I too am a person who thinks computers have the potential to become "Dangerous" ( not just theft )we are teaching emotion and trying to make them more human_like and God knows we are the most destructive creatures with the most potential for killing that the earth has ever seen (except the hidden Aliens maybe ).

South Korea already has AI controlled robots patrolling sections of the 38th parallel as of about 2005 (or whenever I saw the report) which are capable of killing a target from about a mile away, so we've already reached the point where AI is about as dangerous as it can be. Why should the military have all that technology though. We should have automated desktop PC's doing our work for us with minimal effort![:D] You can just blame the fact that we don't on Big Business making developing such technology for home PC's far too expensive for anyone with the expertise to do so. All the technology is out there and quickly becoming quite cheap to create for us all to be living like The Jetson's (if you really wanted to) but unfortunately due to patents and politics you won't see anything more advanced then an overpowered calculator in the common man's home for a long long time.

EDIT: Here's a link to a short blurb about the robots I was talking about: http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/story?id=2504508&page=1 I saw a video of the thing in action, but I can't find it anymore, but it was pretty scary stuff.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2009, 08:19:38 pm by Cefwyn »

EULA: By reading this you agree not to take offense to anything contained in post above. If you do choose to take offense, you forfeit all rights to criticize same post unless said criticism contains important corrections and helpful information.

One

• Technology Advocate
    • View Profile
No love for the penguin?
« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2009, 10:06:12 pm »
Cefwyn,
As it is my 777th post I would like to take a moment to fly on the 777Dreamliner, to reflect on technology.
I started out with my first build that had a 300MHz (Cashless) CPU and spare military parts. I was THE Explorer! HA! I have had so many thoughts, "Paper battles" across the country and beyond. I have the "Bourne Supremacy" Now I sit in a Hepa clean anti static computer filled room, (on a minimal budget by starving and no adventures or vacations for years) With my favorite being my Q6600 custom electronic containment .obj. Powered by Q power (Pure Black) aahhh.. serenity... I think I need My Alison back, she is ever so clever! maybe this time I will decide to teach or not to teach technology to her (BIG DILEMMA) HEY! I will give anybody (The first person) $5.00 to come up with a way to guard against 'Metasploit' I have tried but to no avail. I thought SP3 might take care of it but no. [V]

What do we want with technology? We do more work with fewer hours and the Govt won't lower the hours in the work week like they did before,
All I see sometimes, is "Gloom n' Doom" I try to secure the insecurity but their is soooo many things that I would like to have a LOYAL A.I. to help me, but do I risk IT? "We quickly approach the Crucible"

Patents and big business keeps some structure and some control, but as the black hats say "The information wants to be set free"

I think I just need some fun and Westandwewaxation.

HEY! Rick HOW ARE you? I know where the Adams street bridge is ;)
the peacekeepers had a Catalist to keep Moya under control but she gave birth to Talyn a Leviathan class ship That was a warship and "switch didn't want to die while in the Matrix, But I now know Cisco and what is required for the CCNA. where am I going? maybe somewhere maybe not. Can somebody else ramble a bit as I lack direction and would like to 'coast a while'

Most the time I am me, but then again another minds eye is just that!
Regards, World!
J.[8D]
Today Is Yesterdays Future.

Cefwyn

• View Profile
No love for the penguin?
« Reply #19 on: March 30, 2009, 10:09:19 am »
One:
That was quite an interesting rant. Pretty sure Talyn should be spelled Talon, but then it was a tv-series so who cares. It's not just the black-hat hackers who believe that information should be free, as is the concept that Linux is built upon and partially why businesses avoid Linux. I played the part of a black-hat for a few years before getting bored of it, and assuming your definition of metasploit is the same as mine, the only way you can ever be safe from it is by keeping your computer disconnected from the internet, and not letting anyone else touch your computer. In a world where Windows runs on the majority of home PC's and even quite a few business servers, and the fact that Microsoft refuse to officially acknowledge or fix the majority of exploits that hackers have reported to them (Most of them in Internet Explorer, which is actually built into the system kernel giving any IE exploit complete control of the machine at the lowest level), the average computer is just way too easy to break. Linux isn't unhackable, and I know of quite a few exploits in programs I'm running just now, but the average hacker is a script-kiddie and there aren't many hacking tools to break into Linux machines and usually the same hackers that wrote those tools have secured Linux against the same attacks. Does that mean I would fully trust an AI to have admin rights on my computer? Probably not, but then common practice under Linux is to never use admin rights unless your modifying the kernel or fixing a problem with the system.

Assuming your running Windows XP based on your mention of SP3, if your having problems with viruses and trojans then it means you need to:
1: Never use Internet Explorer except when you have to for windows updates.
2: Stay away from exploit sites (Most of them you would have no reason to visit anyways)
3: Don't use Microsoft Outlook for e-mail and don't open attachments unless it's from someone you trust and your expecting it.
4: Use a decent anti-virus. I use AVG Free Edition and the last 4 years I've used it have never been infected with a virus that wasn't my own choosing and that AVG couldn't clean up immediately.
5: Have a good firewall between you and your internet connection. There was a time when I had a hardware firewall connected to each router on my network(very expensive though)