dupa

Author Topic: is this the next pc os taking over for vista ?  (Read 9492 times)

freddy888

• View Profile
    • AiDreams
is this the next pc os taking over for vista ?
« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2009, 07:25:35 am »
Ahh look what I found :

Pro £89.99 : http://www.pcworld.co.uk/martprd/product/seo/024588

and

Home P £44.99 - http://www.pcworld.co.uk/martprd/product/seo/457250

Can you beat that ?

Data

• Xen: Good question, Accessing database...
    • View Profile
    • Datahopa
« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2009, 08:41:53 am »
That’s a good price there freddy, thanks for finding it. I think I might pre order.

Been trying Win7 for a while now, first the beta 32bit and now RC1 64bit and there are some things I really like about it: I never much cared for Vista.

Its media center is much improved over XP media center, and they got the red button working.

Its boot time is quicker than Media Center XP

Games play as good as in XP (with the right drivers)

Hal works in Win 7 too [8D]

Oh but I hate the nag screens:
Are you sure you want to use your computer? We think you might be stupid and are sure that you don’t know what you are doing!

You cant install this driver, the author hasn’t paid Microsoft many $ for signing it. (really annoying on the 64bit Win 7 you cant turn off driver signing unless you hit F8 on every boot)

The network icon in the systrey is almost useless it doesn’t show network activity.

And no e-mail client shipped with it, that’s a pain, Outlook Express was perfect and a lot of people don’t like Live Mail, me included.

Oh! This post has turned into a rant [?]

Hmmm! Im still not sure about Win 7

Freddy what does the E stand for in these versions?

freddy888

• View Profile
    • AiDreams
« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2009, 09:00:48 am »
Yes nice price - I bet a lot of people who use Amazon don't shop around either - shame lol.  Actually I like Amazon but their price is surprisingly expensive compared to PC World.  Another thing about PC World is it includes shipping.

I liked the beta from what little I played with it.  Especially the way it loads drivers for you.  I think most of my present system worked with it OK.  I got on-line which is one of the main things for me.  The rest will hopefully be sorted out by using the XP Mode.

Thanks for the heads up on using f8 for drivers.  I am sure I will need that.

On email - I use all web-mail and I haven't used Outlook for years.  I would have thought you could download this from Microsoft anyway, so not a biggie.  I know it doesn't ship with IE either - personally I only use Google Chrome for surfing now.  I would need IE for some of my web-site designing though.

I took the bait and ordered it - just to be sure I get in while stocks last - I figure I can always cancel it before October if something terrible happens to me!

After a lot of digging I found the 'E' stands for 'Europe'.

See this page :

http://microsoftontheissues.com/cs/blogs/mscorp/archive/2009/06/11/working-to-fulfill-our-legal-obligations-in-europe-for-windows-7.aspx

Excerpt:

"Windows 7 will be offered in Europe in all of the versions that will be available here in the United States, both 32- and 64-bit, with an “E” at the end of the product name (for instance, Windows 7 Home Premium E).  The E versions of Windows 7 will ship at the same time as Windows 7 ships in the rest of the world, and they will be available in 23 European languages."

It comes with both 32 and 64 bit versions inclusive which is a plus.  I'd like to go for 64 bit, but I am not sure about issues with that - got any pointers ?
« Last Edit: July 18, 2009, 09:10:03 am by freddy888 »

Data

• View Profile
    • Datahopa
« Reply #18 on: July 18, 2009, 10:04:23 am »
Ahh! the E stands for Europe, thanks for looking that up Freddy, As I was typing it I thought why don’t I just go look it up [:o)]

I’m surprised at the prices on Amazon too even more surprised they have been beaten by PC world. Hehe …  nice find.

You ordered it, you did it, you actually did it  ;)
Did you get Pro?

It comes with both 32 and 64? Really that’s cool.

I have to agree with spydaz, if you can get the 64bit working with all drivers, it is silky smooth and seems to run everything I like to use my PC for.

If I was you, I know I’m not ;)) but it might help you when you get that shiny new disk, I would go and get the latest RC and get it running with all drivers and software I like to use, its taken me a while to get to the bottom of some of the problems I’ve had with drivers, Its not just hardware that need them, some software installs drivers too, normally not a problem but on the “64bit Win 7” drivers now have to be signed.

freddy888

• View Profile
    • AiDreams
« Reply #19 on: July 18, 2009, 10:09:32 am »
Hehe, no problem, I was wondering that myself too anyway.

Yes I went for the Pro version.  I just don't want to get half way down the road and find something I need to do isn't supported - I've always used Pro versions.

And yes it's great it comes with both 32 and 64 bit, so no worrying over which version to get, because you can try both.

Thanks for the advice :~)
« Last Edit: July 18, 2009, 10:11:30 am by freddy888 »

Data

• View Profile
    • Datahopa
« Reply #20 on: July 18, 2009, 10:41:59 am »
I would go for Pro as well.

Make sure you have a web browser on disk or flash drive I see its not shipped with one. That could be very annoying for those with one PC in the house.

freddy888

• View Profile
    • AiDreams
« Reply #21 on: July 18, 2009, 10:56:13 am »
Ah yes, good point! Hadn't thought of that.

freddy888

• View Profile
    • AiDreams
« Reply #22 on: August 09, 2009, 11:35:00 am »
Just found PC World upped their prices :

£159.99

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/martprd/product/002753

spydaz

• View Profile
    • http://www.spydazweb.co.uk/
« Reply #23 on: August 09, 2009, 12:14:34 pm »
After the PRE Time period has finished all prices went up... AMAZON could not be bothered... so they just released it at its full price.... quick bit of "SKIMMING THE CREAM" << standard business practice !

I DO SUGGEST PROFESSIONAL Not Ultimate, after all the comparisons there is nothing to be GAINED from the ultimate version, previously they had minor lockdowns on pro (DEFINATLY HOME) now its just a minor... Pro could probalbly UNLOCK those extra feature quite easyly...

PS: HAPTEK does tend to jam a little bit on SEVEN 64-BIT, BUT...
I found that if you install things like ultrahal into the XPMODE then you have it working FINE!... MS AGENT HAs transparency issues in WIN7 & its not even installed at all the download is required... even then you will need to CUT and SAVE & ZIP the previous VISTA( WINDOWsMSAGENT folder to replaced the newly installed version. this will fix any transparency issues.... NOT THE XPVERSION .....

If you do have such problems then Just install any MSAGENT dependent software in XPMODE and It will Run in Seemless mode...

just copy the shortcut from Virtual Windows XP Applications folder to your startmenu startup folder and it will launch the virtual application at the start of windows.... it ZABAWARE STARTUP!

freddy888

• View Profile
    • AiDreams
« Reply #24 on: August 09, 2009, 02:32:49 pm »
That pre selling period didn't last long then.  I am glad I got mine ordered before it went up though.  Saved myself a lot of money.

Thanks for the tips, I'll probably want Haptek on my PC, but I never rated MSAgents very highly, just not my thing.

Data

• View Profile
    • Datahopa
« Reply #25 on: August 10, 2009, 07:46:37 am »
Windows 7 is now being released to PC manufacturers, a friend of mine that has an account with MS has the final release in his hands, its closer than you might think.

One

• Technology Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 12, 2009, 11:07:27 pm »
I thought if win 7 detects a XP program it will run it in VM 'mode'?
Today Is Yesterdays Future.

One

• Technology Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 13, 2009, 12:19:14 am »
OOPS!,
Yes that was me 'fingers a blarin' without reading the good info that had already been discussed.

J.
Today Is Yesterdays Future.