dupa

Author Topic: recording character  (Read 2487 times)

fred1095

• View Profile
recording character
« on: April 17, 2004, 02:59:48 pm »
I'm new at this game, so any help would be appreciated.  I would like to record my character's voice and be able to save it as a .wav file.  Any suggestions?

Don Ferguson

• View Profile
    • http://www.cortrapar.com
recording character
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2004, 03:52:50 am »
Hello,

What I'm about to describe works on my computer, but it might NOT work on your computer.  Sound cards and computer setups differ.

I open and put the Microsoft Sound Recorder (the one that comes with Windows at START--PROGRAMS--ACCESSORIES--ENTERTAINMENT) in a small box near top of the screen.  Then, I put Ultra Hal in a medium-size window just directly under it.  If I press "record" on the sound recorder, and then hit the "enter" key to make Hal say something, and then hit "stop" when Hal is speaking, I can capture remarks from Hal as WAV files.  I can even append more dialogue to the same WAV file by repeating the process.

The first time I experimented with this, I had to open the master-volumes-control dialogue box and fool around with all the volume levels (both play and record levels) for a while to make it all work.  Also, I found that the best recording quality was at 22,050 kHz and 16-bits (I think that this matches what the speech synthesizer puts out).  Microsoft's Sound Recorder defaults back to its standard setting each time that you re-open the program, so it's quite annoying, but it does work for me.

It's worth giving this a try.  Even if it works, you will have to experiment to find the best loudness settings for best recordings.  If it doesn't work for you, I regret that I don't have any alternate suggestions; possibly other contributors here on the forum know of additional ways to capture Hal as WAV files.

Best wishes and good luck!  Have a good day!

Sincerely,

Don
« Last Edit: April 18, 2004, 04:00:22 am by Don Ferguson »
Don Ferguson
E-mail: fergusonrkfd@prodigy.net
Don's other forum posts: http://www.zabaware.com/forum/search.asp?mode=DoIt&MEMBER_ID=274