dupa

Author Topic: how do I create agents with Poser?  (Read 10906 times)

jblackmd

• View Profile
how do I create agents with Poser?
« on: January 31, 2004, 03:00:38 pm »
ok...I am really trying to create a custom character.  I have peopleputty, which is ok, but I really want to make a custom character using Poser.  Does anyone have any suggestions?

midget1488

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2004, 07:50:54 pm »
It's possible to create Microsoft Agent characters with Poser by outputting the animations as series of bitmaps, and then converting them to 8-bitcolor depth. Then you need to mask them for transparency. You need a paint program for this - any of them will do.

The software required to create and compile MS Agent characters from 256 color bitmaps is free from Microsoft at the Agent SDK site.

That being said, I found it to be a very involved and time-consuming activity. I've started a couple, but never really finished one because of the remarkable number of animations required to approach a "lifelikeness".

All the MS agent documetation is free - I suggest downloading it and doing a little study to see if it's what you want to do. Don't pay for any books on it at Amazon - they're just the free documents reprinted word-for-word and softcover-bound.

Good luck in your efforts!

jblackmd

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2004, 09:38:45 pm »
I downloaded the software a while ago, I think it is called Character editor, and also blew a lot of disk space downloading the SDK from microsoft...free, but large and complex.  The character editor is complex too.  I was hoping there would be an easy plug-in or fix.  Too bad.  So, I would have to make a few hundred renderings?  Hard to justify that.  The peopleputty device is good, but it gives you few options.  You end up with a talking head, with limited choices in hair, upper body, etc.  I tried this other device called cyberbuddy, which claimed to be able to take any picture and turn it into an agent.  It basically could do that, plugging into the character editor, but what you ended up with was sort of remniscent of the old "Clutch Cargo" cartoon where a still image had a moving mouth.  The mouth looked very cartoonish and wasn't the look i was looking for.  I purchased the Annita character from Deskmates, which looks for all the world to me as if it was made with Poser.  Guess that is where I got the idea from.

midget1488

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2004, 10:32:36 pm »
Sounds like your experiences are similar to mine.

I think all the desktop mates agents were produced with Poser.

Take a look at www.biovirtual.com for "3DMeNow"

I would really like to have U-Hal be able to work with this...

UPDATE... sorry - they sold out to a big-name big money company. Oh, well...
« Last Edit: January 31, 2004, 10:51:04 pm by midget1488 »

vonsmith

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2004, 01:18:22 pm »
All of the above statements are true, but maybe there is another way to approach the problem...

What if you create a hi-res beautiful character in Poser. Save hi-res images from Poser to your disk. Import the hi-res image into Haptek People Putty and use that program to map the image to the Haptek character. As I recall People Putty can import any photo image and the user can map it to the default head and add hair, glasses, whatever.

With that said... I know the mapping of images to the head in People Putty is somewhat crude. The hair and other items are not as good as Poser by a long shot, but hey, I don't see why this shouldn't work.

3DMeNow seemed like a more robust and professional product, but Hal can't use 3DMeNow characters.

=vonsmith=

jblackmd

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2004, 02:52:45 pm »
well, of course I have done that.  The problem I have with peopleputty is that the hairstyles and fashions are limited, and I would like to create more of a talking body instead of a talking head.

Don Ferguson

• View Profile
    • http://www.cortrapar.com
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2004, 04:40:00 pm »
Hello,

Please note that on the Haptek People Putty site, they have been suggesting for some time now that they are going to be increasing their availability of upper-torso and full-body characters.  Possibly if a number of us write to Haptek, they will follow through in that direction.

Haptek does offer an "accessories add-on" for People Putty at an additional price, but I have not purchased and tried it yet.

The animations and lip-sync on People Putty are excellent, but I do agree that the head-only characters, and limited hair, are frustrating.

To make the best of it:

I have found that advance preparation of the source photograph has a drastic affect on the quality of the Haptek character that you create.

To create the best-quality character for Ultra-Hal under present circumstances, I recommend that you experiment with doing the following:

1.  Edit your source picture in advance, using any good photo editing software.  Make sure you have a good face-on shot, with eyes wide open and mouth shut.

2.  Surround the face in your source-picture with a flesh-colored background, using your photo-editing software.  This will reduce the amount of masking that you have to do later using People Putty, and that saves memory and improves efficiency.

3.  It sometimes helps to "paint" over the eyes of the source picture with flesh-tone or dark-tone, since People Putty provides its own eyes.  "Painting" over the original eyes (with the photo editing software) can make the character look more natural when it blinks.

4.  Crop your source picture to a square shape.  This makes the People Putty "face targeting" procedure much easier to see and do.

5.  Save your source picture to at least 400 by 400 pixel resolution.

6.  Try at least a half-dozen different attempts when you target your photo into People Putty using the "face mask."  Even small changes in your targeting can have a drastic difference in how your final result looks.

7.  I believe that there is a step in the face-targeting process where you can choose the resolution in People Putty.  Go for the higher resolution (about 400 by 400 pixels if this is works on your computer).

8.  Save early and save often, under different file names, so that you can go back and try different approaches to your work.

9.  Experiment with putting double-hair on characters.  Two different blonde hair add-ons will blend on some characters, and two different brunette hair add-ons will blend on some characters.

All things considered, I think our best present hope is to encourage Haptek to continue to add to People Putty, to allow the creation of upper-torso and full-body characters, and to add substantially more hair variety to their offering.

If they understood that word-of-mouth might sell a lot more units of their software if they did these things, they might take these actions.

Sincerely,

Don
Don Ferguson
E-mail: fergusonrkfd@prodigy.net
Don's other forum posts: http://www.zabaware.com/forum/search.asp?mode=DoIt&MEMBER_ID=274

vonsmith

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2004, 10:59:26 am »
As usual, all good points there Don. The good thing about characters in Poser is that you can get perfect straight on or side shots and save at any resolution you want.

The floating head thing gives me the creeps. I haven't experimented with People Putty too much because it crashes occassionally on my system. I'll wait for the next version before putting my money down. I emailed Haptek about the crashes and never got the courtesy of a reply.

The full body idea is great. If full body images could be imported from a program like Poser, then the results would be spectacular.

Haptek needs to upgrade their toy to a semi-pro product. The hair and goofy accessories need to go. However, for the $55 or so I'll cut them some slack.

I'm still hoping some day to have an Alice in Wonderland character, complete with English accent, to read story books interactively on my computer. I think Hal is the right engine, I'm still working on getting the character and voice.

=vonsmith=
« Last Edit: February 02, 2004, 11:01:07 am by vonsmith »

domo

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2004, 11:32:59 am »
Haptek has a full body character on their website and its possible to download it and get it to work in Hal. Just download this file: http://www.haptek.com/demos/tv_girl/tv_girl.zip and copy all the .hap and the fullbodygirl.htr files to c:program files\zabawareultra hal assistant 5characters  Hal doesn't move its body, but I think that by editing the default.psn file in that folder its possible to get it to do hand movements.

domo

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2004, 11:52:00 am »
And check this site out too http://kahunanui.com/haptekdemo/

KnyteTrypper

• View Profile
    • http://www.knytetrypper.com/index.html
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2004, 01:00:54 am »
agentcharacters is a Yahoo group for agent character developers. Lots of tips, tutorials, and discussion, for character makers. [:D]
« Last Edit: February 11, 2004, 09:24:11 pm by KnyteTrypper »

vonsmith

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2004, 10:32:41 am »
KnyteTrypper,
I didn't find any such group listed at Yahoo. Are you sure you've got the name correct?

=vonsmith=

midget1488

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2004, 01:51:58 pm »
It's agentcharactors

?

KnyteTrypper

• View Profile
    • http://www.knytetrypper.com/index.html
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2004, 09:28:46 pm »
Sorry, vonsmith, the spelling was bad, but the link worked, had you clicked it, lol. With regard to voices, do you have the Lernout&Hauspie TTS engine? It has a decent British female voice. Also, Woody's Page is a good place to keep up with current developments of MS Agents. Most of what's depicted there can't be downloaded from the site, but Woody is at the CyberBuddy chatroom most evenings, and he's generous about sharing characters he has.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2004, 09:52:48 pm by KnyteTrypper »

vonsmith

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2004, 10:23:37 am »
KnyteTrypper,
Thanks for sharing the Yahoo group name with us. It looks like an interesting source. I did click the link originally and I got a, "There is no group called agentcharacters." message from Yahoo. Anyway I have found the group now. Much thanks.

I'm using a number of different voice engines including the L&H engine. It is okay. AT&T Natural Voices would be better. I'll keep looking.

Thanks,

=vonsmith=