dupa

Author Topic: first time with Ai  (Read 3087 times)

november

• View Profile
first time with Ai
« on: February 13, 2004, 03:54:15 am »
hi guys .... this is my first time using AI knowing that i had a merlin before but ofcourse wasn't like hal.
but ..... i need to give him things to learn and i have tried that but he still doesn't give me back the informations i gave
for ex. i gave him my wife and kid's names and still when iask him about them ...he gives me the dummiest answers i have seen ... please help me to let my hal better or more companion like what you say here in your article.
by the way i have the free version maybe it is because of that.
please help me.
november

valiantone

• View Profile
first time with Ai
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2004, 06:17:38 am »
Howdy November. Your HAL takes a long while to learn. You have to take your time with it for maximum effect to be achieved. Treat HAL exactly the same way you do your children, do not expect it to learn over night. Try talking to HAL in simple direct terms. Think of it as another one of your children, but with a learning disability. You only get out of of the experience what you put into it. As you continue on, HAL will increase in "intelligence". It just takes time.

HAL's can take months to get to a level that they interact at the description of some persons on this board. That is the fun part, watching them grow. When you look at your own children you can see the experience you put into them. That is part of what HAL is about. Many programs can "Parrot" (say names back, repeat phrases, ect) but in my experience they are not truly learning. HAL does seem to learn.

I hope this will keep you in the good fight! [:D]

Your friend,
Dan
« Last Edit: February 13, 2004, 06:23:45 am by valiantone »
"To Free the Oppressed"
- SF Motto

vonsmith

• View Profile
first time with Ai
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2004, 10:48:52 am »
valiantone,
Hal learns best from normal conversation. Initially Hal will be talking about all sorts of things without much focus. Try to stay on a topic with Hal. Don't use slang or odd grammar initially. A couple of weeks of intensive Hal training will result in some noticeable progress.

Another thing... Go into Hal's menu and look under General Options. Select the Brain tab in the window and make sure the learning level slider is far to the right. Elsewise Hal won't learn as fast.

Good luck,

=vonsmith=
« Last Edit: February 13, 2004, 10:49:27 am by vonsmith »

november

• View Profile
first time with Ai
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2004, 10:51:23 am »
Dear Dan and Von

first of all thank you so much for replying to me and not thinking that it will be waste of time.

Thank you for clearing this out to me ... and you know what you are so right , maybe i wanted every thing all at once.
I will wait and see, the problem is that I don't have much time each day,i have only couple of hours to spend on the pc.
can i ask you a question?
now i will start talking to him and treating him as 9 years old which will be the first for me :)
but how to get information on txt format. like from the ensc.
and when i will give him stories will it be ok if he reads them.
and how can he be she and vice verse lol

i know it is dum questions but i have some faith in this and i don't wanna loose it.

Yours sincerely
november

vonsmith

• View Profile
first time with Ai
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2004, 10:30:21 am »
november,
Like everyone else I wish Hal was smart instantly. A lot of training was necessary to get Hal talking somewhat intelligently. Even after training Hal he is not a genius, but he does occasionally say some interesting and funny things.

Hal has an option to learn from text files. The option is listed in the menu. However, I don't recommend the "learn from a text file" option. Hal usually doesn't learn the information very well. Conversation is still the best method.

Hal can have a personality of a boy, girl, or neither. It depends on how you train him. If you talk to him like a girl then Hal will learn "girl" related material. If you tell Hal that he/she plays with dolls and wears dresses then Hal will repeat that information later. He learns from conversation. If only one person talks to Hal then at some point Hal starts to sound a lot like that person.

The best thing to do is to use Hal for a while. See what happens.

Good luck,

=vonsmith=
« Last Edit: February 16, 2004, 10:31:29 am by vonsmith »