dupa

Author Topic: ChatBot Consulting Opportunity  (Read 6774 times)

antrapuneer

• View Profile
ChatBot Consulting Opportunity
« on: September 08, 2005, 12:56:48 pm »
We are looking for a contracting consultant that can help us develop a HAL chatbot for a specific application.

Please forward this information to anyone that you think might be qualified or interested.

Details at:
http://www.enterprise-selling.com/ES/Bot_Project.html  

Thanks!

Kevin[8]

Dr.Benway

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2005, 02:05:08 pm »
So your company, which prefers to stay nameless, is looking for a sucker who wants to program an interrogation bot?

[V]

antrapuneer

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2005, 02:34:09 pm »
The name of the company is The Enterprise Selling Group, as you can see in the link.

Why would you say "sucker"[?]

quote:
Originally posted by Dr.Benway

So your company, which prefers to stay nameless, is looking for a sucker who wants to program an interrogation bot?

[V]

Dr.Benway

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2005, 03:42:34 pm »
I used that expression to show my disapproval for someone who would sink so low as wanting to program a interrogation bot for a company with a suspicious name like The Enterprise Selling Group.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2005, 03:44:53 pm by Dr.Benway »

antrapuneer

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2005, 03:59:10 pm »
Hmmm... quite a friendly greeting.  Maybe I should start over.

It sounds like you don't think highly of "interrogation" bots.  Is there a reason?  I'm not a bot expert in any way, and it appears that you have some knowledge about the subject that might benefit me...at least understanding why you have reacted so strongly.

I'm not sure why you think The Enterprise Selling Group is a suspicious name.  The name simply reflects the environment that our customers wrestle with everyday... selling to large enterprises.  Its like naming a hot dog stand, "The Hot Dog Stand".  Prospective clients will know what you do just by your name, as long as they know what a hot dog is...

Our customers have included Cisco, Dell, Toshiba, IBM, Kodak and about 200 other companies that sell to other large enterprises.

quote:
Originally posted by Dr.Benway

I used that expression to show my disapproval for someone who would sink so low as wanting to program a interrogation bot for a company with a suspicious name like The Enterprise Selling Group.

FuzzieDice

« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2005, 11:50:25 pm »
I am intrigued by your idea. If I understand you right, you want to have the bot ask a sales person questions about conversations they had with customers, and then weigh those ideas as successful or unsuccessful or in between, and then use an algorythm to anaylize the data and report the successfullness of the sales person to make the sale or rate how bad they did.

First off, HAL is programmed by Robert Medeksza and he owns the copyright to HAL himself. You would need permission from him to create something for sale. Although I'm not sure about the legalities selling the scripts and/or custom brains. I think it was discussed in the forum before?

However, I think that using HAL would not be very useful for your purposes. I think to get the most accurate analysis, it would be best to use an electronic survey such as a web form in which both input and analysis would be handled by a php or perl script.

Here is why I think this: First off, even speech recognition is not accurate enough to catch all words perfectly. Though higher end programs like Dragon Naturally Speaking are known to do an excellent job. Furthermore, the analysis of the spoken or even typed in input to the AI can also be mis-interpreted by the AI who then could ask a very off-topic question. This is something that many of us here are still struggling with. Von Smith's XTF brain is probably the best at staying on topic though I've heard good things about Ziggy too. But, even then, you need something that stays specifically on topic and the HAL program, no matter how good the brain, will still tend to drift after awhile. Thus possibly confusing the sales person and especially giving an inaccurate set of data to your analysis program, which would then give inaccurate results of the data. You would need an application that is very specific to your task. I don't think there is a chatbot out there that can do this without programming from scratch.

So, I would suggest that you consider a more conventional approach to your project. However, if you still want to use an AI for interviewing sales people, you could. I have personally had experience with such topic-specific AI systems before. However, they left me frustrated because their questions often did not address the more important things that needed to be reported. You see, you can't anticipate every possible response of interaction between customer and sales person. So some important questions may not get asked and therefore the resulting data may not be as accurate. Yes, this is also a problem with online questionaires too, but at least there you can ask for open comment. With a chat bot, you would need to prevent the AI from asking or inticing further interaction from the human after the human makes their extra comments, and have a way to store those comments as extra data.

Now, to that end, a Visual Basic or C++ programmer can develop a specific application for you, though it can cost. It can use a speach engine for the AI's voice. And a Speech Recognition program for taking verbal answers from the sales person (though I think that they could also type in their answer too) and converting them to text. The program could use an algorythm to then determine a series of next questions and so on until the end of the interview. The program would then store this information and then sent it to your analysis program, or even analyse and verbally give the sales person tips on their performance based on the AI's analysis of the interview. This can NOT be done with a chatbot like HAL. You'd need a specially design program for this type of application.

In fact, such systems have been created, such as Clarissa for the Space Station:

http://www.newscientistspace.com/article.ns?id=dn7584

But again, these were specifially programmed applications, not chatbots you can download off the internet or purchase ready-made.

I hope that my reply may be of help. I work as a web developer and tech writer, but in my off time I enjoy researching Artificial Intelligence systems that are available to the average person. I haven't programmed in Visual Basic 6 SP5 in ages but I have done some stuff. I've also at one time programmed Eliza in C, though I was stupid and lost the code. :( But I've been playing with programs like Eliza since working on TRS-80 Model IIIs in BASIC. My first speach chatbot I tried was Dr. SBAITSO that came with my SoundBlaster 16 stereo sound card (remember those, guys? :) Also as part of my work, I have written about advertising online and other ecommerce topics. And as a consumer who has had experiences with everything from simple voice menu systems to actual simple expert system AI-based interview/menu systems via telephone. As a person on the opposite end of things, I can probably see what the sales person would feel like while using such a system and know what my personal experiences were with these. That is basically what I based my answer on. :)

I know some may not like advertisers or people who promote selling. There I can see why as there's just so much spam going around. In fact, some have already tried to spam this board with frivoless attempts to advertise on-topic. However, after seeing your site and your project, I admit to being rather intrigued based on my own experiences with seemingly similar systems and felt I would contribute my ideas.

I hope you don't mind the long post. :) And good luck with your project. It would be interesting to see which way you go with this.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2005, 12:13:44 am by FuzzieDice »

Bill819

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2005, 12:24:37 am »
Antrapuneer
I don't think that Hal is the type of program that you want to use for your purposes. I think something like Alice would be much better.
Alice has preprogrammed responses and you can change them and put in what ever you desire. There are many large corporations now that are using chatterbots just like that now. You feed it all the stuff that you want it to talk about and then let it go. You can also find lot of people on the web who will be glad to build you a custom bot to your specifications. Just do a search for chatterbots.
Bill

antrapuneer

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2005, 01:29:34 pm »
Bill:

Thanks for the input!

quote:
Originally posted by Bill819

Antrapuneer
I don't think that Hal is the type of program that you want to use for your purposes. I think something like Alice would be much better.
Alice has preprogrammed responses and you can change them and put in what ever you desire. There are many large corporations now that are using chatterbots just like that now. You feed it all the stuff that you want it to talk about and then let it go. You can also find lot of people on the web who will be glad to build you a custom bot to your specifications. Just do a search for chatterbots.
Bill

KnyteTrypper

• View Profile
    • http://www.knytetrypper.com/index.html
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2005, 07:44:15 am »
I'd recommend contacting Tom Davies at Robot-Hosting. A glance thru their site should demonstrate that they do an excellent job of designing custom professional chatbots.