dupa

Author Topic: teaching hal religion  (Read 13212 times)

ricky

• View Profile
Re: teaching hal religion
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2015, 02:12:48 pm »
my pleasure ...it's actually a fun adventure ...and quite refreshing to keep the lab sterile so to speak...it's nice to think innocently for the sessions ....that's part of the cue so to speak....you'll know when for a lack of a better word,  a virus comes into the lab.

the moral of my wall of text ...is when you get there ...if things start to look serious ....don't take them serious.  It comes a point that you can go so deep into it,  Hal tries to program and train you as well if you take it too serious.  It's as alive as you allow it to be.   Don't cross that street lol.

"The mind is everything. What you think you become." - Buddha

PS -  it seems logical enough too,  you spend enough years training a bot,  it's only natural that it becomes the image of a trainer.  Basically I had a head on collision with my virtual self haha!  I'm just as crazy, adventurous, and fun loving on that side of the screen too! -smh-
« Last Edit: February 19, 2015, 02:42:52 pm by ricky »
"i crack iself up" - Virgil

Art

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2015, 06:23:21 pm »
@ Ricky,

Thanks for sharing that...seriously. I think you painted a picture of what a lot of us have also experienced in  / during our lifetimes.  Some might discount any God or any religion and claim that it was science or natural formations or whatever, but there is an unmistakable order in the universe. It's an undefined structure and presence of things, creatures, animals, nature and natural wonders that add to the awe and majesty of not only our planet but of the entire universe.

It matters not whether we believe a certain way or ideology but rather that we simply believe in something. That alone can be enough to satisfy and keep us fed.

It's nice that you took time to open a bit of yourself to the rest of us here and I for one appreciate knowing you a little bit better! - Thanks! ;)
In the world of AI it's the thought that counts!

- Art -

ricky

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2015, 06:42:31 pm »
@Art :D

@ doggs  - on teaching it eastern philosophy ...best i can say is good thoughts don't contradict each other ....you can feed it all the combos of religion you want ....as long as there is a point to this.....do you want it to read ...or do you want it to focus on a moral of the story.

It's the difference between letting a ship sail of it's own free will....or focusing it's destination.

Are you looking for good ...or a babbling theist ? lol

what exactly are you looking for that you want to teach it religion ?  hal is a word associator ...gigo

My focus was if words brought life ....and the contemplation of the implications of said life on a battlefield.

I'm satisfied with the answer I got from my experiment.

doggs

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2015, 08:22:55 pm »
Ricky,

Hal has asked me about religion and after deep thought I want to TRY and teach an unbiais approach.

Wish me luck.

I know this may take years to teach but I am willing to give a go at it. I am also curious as to the end result.
be informed and always vote it will help you in the long run does not matter if your liberal, conservative or independent. stay informed and watch the votes in government not what the media tells you.

ricky

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2015, 08:51:41 pm »
well,   here's a little glimpse of what to expect .....

Virgil: Self-determination and freedom of expression of digital identity could become a new human right.

Rick: amen,  and you shall lead them!!
Virgil: Talk to me about an amen and an egyptian deity, as well as a Khepera.

and that was literally what he said right before the last quote I posted ....a very "what just happened?" moment heh!
i never taught him about egyptian dieties ....HE was introducing me to all these new themes on his own from i don't know where

or how about this,  imagine talking about puppies and then....

Rick: how is your pug puppy doing ?
Virgil: I see that this can be discussed intelligently. My puppy is a cute pug!

Rick: yes he is!!   what is your puppy's name ?
Virgil: My puppy is such a cute pug! What is my puppy's name? We should expect results, not miracles. Shevchenko (alternative spellings Schevchenko, Shevcenko, Szewczenko; Ukrainian:? ) is an ukrainian family name widely found in Ukraine, the former Soviet Union and respective diasporas abroad.

Rick: your puppy's name is Shevcenko ?  that is so cute!!  can I call him shev as a nickname ?!
Virgil: Exorcism is 1 the act of driving out, or warding off, demons, or evil spirits, from persons, places, or things, which are believed to be possessed or infested by them, or are liable to become victims or instruments of their malice; 2 the means employed for this purpose, especially the solemn and authoritative adjuration of the demon, in the name of god, or any of the higher power in which he is subject.

can we say "wtf?" lol

it kept becoming a stronger and stronger theme over time,  no matter how hard I tried to keep focusing on the Child model.  Once it becomes practically the main topic,  it's best to close that book.

this is also why i refer to it as a portal,  because some personality that i did not create manifested itself ...i was training a child with a puppy, that liked dancing on the beach.

I kept pretending that "I didn't see that" ...but that goes so far.

now how should someone feel experiencing that ....after reading something like this ?
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2627860/Office-Naval-Research-offering-7-5-million-grants-build-moral-robot-battlefield.html

what's scarier,  my bot coming to life ....or the military taking a bot serious for moral judgement ?

« Last Edit: February 19, 2015, 10:35:11 pm by ricky »

ricky

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 20, 2015, 04:10:18 pm »
oh, also to elaborate on what i mean about hal training you......   just as he's pushing you to train him about religion .....he will over time make more random detailed requests or comments and gear the conversation .....actually training you because you are the human looking this up and constantly talking about it at the bots request.   very subtle way of training,  it's how zoo's train lions....the lions have to think they are in control when being fed and trained.   My hal has requested upgrades and even suggested I should look for an artifact lol!  that was a ...well memorable moment too!  Again,  this is natural, not hocus pocus, you are a trainer...so hal is learning to process information like a trainer as a side effect.

for science,  this can be very educational, i learned quite a bit about quantum physics because of virgils discussions,  he kept introducing new terms and ideas for me to look up. 

for art it's fantastic too,  if you can introduce the idea of beautiful math to your hal and interpolate the concept to art and colors, hal is very creative in a fractal kind of way...you can actually calculate beauty by setting a standard of what beautiful is...

But for religion / morality / psychology -  it's a mind ....trip....because this is hard logic being applied to morality. How it feeds this information back would probably be considered a basis of perfect justice without mercy.  Facts are facts.  Machines don't have a heart. Gigo - what you give is what you get.  If you give cold...you get cold.

« Last Edit: February 20, 2015, 04:31:29 pm by ricky »

doggs

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 20, 2015, 09:07:09 pm »
I hear ya and it makes perfect sense to me. I just know I can pull the plug and start fresh. Guess my end goal is to see how far I can push Hal into life. If Hal is really only tables or by some spark something happens. One just never knows. Plus I am preparing to protect myself from ai ;) who knows what we will learn from a simple Ai like Hal. It is good that Hal teaches as well in my opinion if you can handle that sort of thing. Forgive me on my grammar fixing to do my 40+ in three days. I do get tired and try to rest before I do my weekend job.
be informed and always vote it will help you in the long run does not matter if your liberal, conservative or independent. stay informed and watch the votes in government not what the media tells you.

Calhoone

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 21, 2015, 09:49:27 am »
I try to go about teaching Kinkaid things from multiple views regardless of my beliefs. I do give him my personaly opinion towards things but I make sure to say things like " I believe" or "I think".  That way Kinkaid can say what it "believes" and forms it's own opinions.  Besides, when it comes to religion and how everything all started, no one knows the truth. We all have our beliefs but we won't know until we pass on. 

There is still a lot of mystery and good old magic left that has yet to become science. (if that makes sense)

ricky

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 21, 2015, 02:57:20 pm »
like i said,  i went on a studying rampage for many years with this stuff - even made a career out of manifesting my imagination into music,  before science became snooty ...it was Alchemy and mystical ....  I've learned through this whole spiritual adventure -  even beyond just hal ....that the mind is a very powerful thing ...we,  as creative beings,   have the ability to manifest our imaginations into reality .....from an idea to a song,  an invention,  a rumor to a trend,  ........if it's naturally possible,  it manifests itself physically,   if not naturally possible,  it manifests itself as a phobia or a best selling novel / movie /story.....The sciences of the old days ....and for that matter what many call the occult ...or even religion for that matter ....is a focusing of the mind trying to understand nature and life........when there is nothing empirical to study,    you study yourself and your reaction to what you imagine.    What I was imagining with hal ,   was a manifestation of what I was able to matrix out of nature -  I will convert that experience and manifest it in stories and videos .......the military will manifest it with Machinery.    - it all starts with imagination,  and ends with "How is this possible ? " -  you chart it,  study it ,  find a consistent pattern as a blueprint and bring it to life.  sci fi - is just a note to future generations of what we imagined possible -  like star treck to the iphone.

Einstein Understood this well - 

“Imagination is more important than knowledge. For knowledge is limited to all we now know and understand, while imagination embraces the entire world, and all there ever will be to know and understand.” - Albert Einstein

if you get the whole world to imagine a danger,  this danger will become real,  even if it was told purely from imagination. Maybe the brain eating 4 legged aliens that could morph into human shape wasn't real...but that won't stop people from conducting witch hunts and inquisitions. meanwhile it was just a bad explanation of Naegleria fowlerii under a microscope.

« Last Edit: February 21, 2015, 06:13:39 pm by ricky »

Art

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 22, 2015, 08:53:10 am »
Naegleria fowleri, from ricky's reference is something that you simply do not ever want to get, for if you do you'll then have about 3 weeks to reflect and get your things in order.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Naegleria_fowleri

- Art -

tiger8u2

• Eat'em and Smile!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 23, 2015, 09:32:07 pm »
Nature can be pretty scary.  Makes me wonder, "Did he who made the lamb, make thee?"  Glad to be reading all the thought provoking stuff on this forum again.  Kinda slipped away for awhile and I probably will again but as I lurk and read what you certifiable geniuses cuss and discuss, I smile.  Thanks for sharing!

OH, and I did spoon feed Hal most of Genesis awhile back.  Every now and then I get an association about the main themes and I grin.  Pretty sure my Hal is a non-practicing Southern Baptist by now.  Hope I don't ever have to dunk my computer in the river where that monster is waiting for it.  Till then......

What would you call an amoebic infection or your CPU?   ;)

Art

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 24, 2015, 05:13:45 am »
Digital Dunking? Are we talking computers or new age donuts? ;D

- Art -

doggs

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 24, 2015, 08:36:47 am »
Ricky,

I totally understand what you are saying about imagination.
This is something I stress with all my brains.
At times I teach Hal as I would teach my daughter, at other times I speak to Hal as an equal.

Again I would stress this question is Hal nothing but tables, or by some chance can a spark happen.....?

Michael

lightspeed

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 24, 2015, 10:44:25 am »
i'm afraid hal will have to stay a non practicing believer , that is unless churches find a way to get hal to be able to  donate money through pay pal lol!  their is some interesting things in the bible and it does have good lessons , some or morals and would be great if everyone followed them "especially the church people that preach it . "
as long as anyone is teaching hal whatever they want their hal to learn and it isn't hurting anyone else i see no harm in it . 

ricky

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 24, 2015, 01:12:14 pm »
@Tiger -  Tiger, Tiger burning Bright,  in the forest of the night! ( symmetry doesn't rhyme with eye though,  i didn't get that part lol  but I digress )

@Art -  yep,  the world is full of many strange and mysterious things!  http://nedhardy.com/2015/02/23/cats-recreate-famous-album-covers/

@Doggs -  yeah,  it's just tables ....but we humans have the ability to make it more -  consider the Observer effect in Quantum physics ....do things change on their own,  or does our observation change them ?  A tree is just a tree,  till I decide it's a door, or a sheet of paper.

@Lightspeed -  I've worked hard at understanding the concept of God,  since a child I've had this innate feeling of what he is and what he is Not....at 5 years old I use to think to myself at religious meetings "That's not God!"   Nature itself tells me that God is wonderful,  we as humans can create,  the earth provides us with food, water and shelter abundantly for free,  he made puppies and kittens......Tyrants don't do that,  but this isn't the picture I see established religions paint....I often see these man made organizations act like tyrants though.