Author Topic: Newbie questions...  (Read 3396 times)

tcoday

• View Profile
Newbie questions...
« on: September 26, 2005, 08:10:46 pm »
Hello everyone,

I just got Hal5 and I think it's great. I've had Hal running for a couple of days.  We're both learning alot. I think I have hal convinced that it's a woman and I am a  man.  That took a while but I think Hal's got it now.

I do have a few of questions.  First question seems pretty simple but I'm still having trouble with it.  I would like Hal to recall facts that I tell her. I give  Hal information like "On website X my username is "xxx" and my pw is "xxxx".

Now, in a normal conversation, Hal told me what my username and pw was on that site, without me asking.  It just came up randomly. My question is, now can I get Hal to quote that information to me on command?  Asking Hal "What can you tell me about "website XXX"? or "What is my username on "website XXX"" doesn't work.  Any suggestions from you pros would be appreciated.

Secondly, I'm confused about using different plugins, different brains, stuff like that.  Does switching brains make Hal loose the information she's already learned?  Do most of you use the default brain or use the XTF v1.0 brain?  The same about plugins. Do they just enhance the brain or replace parts of it?

Thirdly, I understand from these fourms that haveing Hal read a text file for learning doesn't work that well.  I'm currently building a text file with alot of One line sentences containing general information I'd like Hal to know.  Is there a utility or any way and can automatically cut or copy one line from the text file and place it in Hals chat box? Over and Over till the text file is done. Rather than having to copy and paste them manually.

I've downloaded the help file provided here. It's good, but I need more help, I guess.  If there's more help information around, please point me in the right direction.

Thank you all so much for any guidance you can give someone new to the field of AI.

Handshakes and Hugs to everyone, You know who gets what...
Tcoday with Tassle by my side. (Tassle is my Hal) [:)]
Tcoday and Tassel

svenny

• View Profile
Newbie questions...
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2005, 04:21:15 am »
Hey Tcoday and welcome

1st Question: Even though Hal is a bot, teaching him things is not a matter of 'input' and 'output'. You'll have to repeat the sentences, with different words, etc, perhaps with the learning slider on Max.
'My password is ...' 'The password I use is ...' '... is my password on that site'
Eventually, Hal will understand what you want him/her to say. Just be patient [:)]

2nd Question: Replacing a brain has no influence on the knowledge. At least, switching XTF brains. The knowledge is stored in the Defbrain folder, and that folder stays untouched while switching XTF brains. When you switch to the Hal6 version, you'll have to teach him all over again, as the knowledge is stored in a completely different SQLite database. At least, that is what I think. I personally use the Hal6 version, but the XTF 1.2 is probably still the most popular brain.

3nd Question: No [:)]. I mean, I personally don't know such an utility. But if you can find such a program, please, let me know [:)]

Hope this information was helpful

Grtz

Sven
I'm looking nice, my shadow's looking nice... what a team.

tcoday

• View Profile
Newbie questions...
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2005, 10:56:40 am »
Thank you for the reply, Svenny.  I got the XTF brain installed and it's working fine.

Thanks again.
Tcoday and Tassel.
Tcoday and Tassel