dupa

Author Topic: Clean computer  (Read 12737 times)

Art

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Clean computer
« on: October 02, 2005, 01:15:50 pm »
If you think your computer is clean from spybots, trojans and malware of all types, think again!

You can run those other programs that check for spyware and such and they might even report they have found one or two, BUT, do yourself and your computer a favor and Download the Ewido Security Suite from:
http://www.ewido.net/en/

The program runs (full version) for 14 days. If you decide to purchase the program, it will probably be the best $29.00 you will ever spend on protection for your computer.

I'll bet the first time you run the program it will find some malware hidden in your computer!

I began to have problems recently with my computer acting sluggish and eventually couldn't open Windows Explorer, then I couldn't print, finally I kept getting errors from DrWatson Postmortum Debugger going off constantly!

After checking with a security forum of experts, they recommended I try Ewido. What a difference from the other programs I tried. It found 7 malware references hidden deep within the registry and elseware. Found, quaranteened and eliminated!

I'm not affiliated with Ewido in any way other than to be a very satisfied user and customer!

NOTE:
P2P or Peer to Peer services while nice, can allow various malware to enter your computer without you being aware. You think the song, music, video, etc., is ok...it may be...or NOT! Due to changing times, todays virus checkers might be ineffective tomorrow and may not catch certain virii, trojans, keyloggers, spyware, dialers, etc.

Always save all downloads to a specific Download directory and do a scan of that directory BEFORE INSTALLING into your system.

Hope this helps...you can thank me later.[^]
In the world of AI it's the thought that counts!

- Art -

Dr.Benway

• View Profile
Clean computer
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2005, 06:23:56 pm »
Please pinch me!! Art... is that really you?

FuzzieDice

Clean computer
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2005, 06:48:17 pm »
I got stuff to do all that and it works. I never had a problem yet, thankfully. If I do I just reinstall and everything that was goofing up is reset and back to normal anyway. No worries. :)

Art

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Clean computer
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2005, 05:11:55 pm »
Raymond,

Yes, 'tis me indeed...but for a short time. Alas...my sweet bride and I are off to foreign lands for a vacation for 2 weeks. I'm always here...sometimes I have my cloaking device activated. Now you know...and consider yourself virtually "pinched!" [:D]

Fuzzy,
OK..if you say so...but I'll still wager that if you download and run the Free (14 day trial) Ewido Suite, you will find bugs / spyware in your machine!! Go ahead make a liar out of me! Let me know what you find.

This is by far, one of the better, if not the best scanner I've used and purchased! To each their own...just trying to help the ones / newbies that really don't know what evil lurks out there in cyberspace.

Best wishes to you both! que sera, sera.
In the world of AI it's the thought that counts!

- Art -

FuzzieDice

Clean computer
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2005, 11:59:07 pm »
Sorry but I rather not keep installing and deinstalling stuff all the time. THAT is what screws up a system - to many programs installed that you never intend to use. And since it only lets me have 14 days, and I don't plan to pay $30 for a spyware program anytime soon (I'm saving money these days - budget is very tight), I don't see a reason to use it.

There are tons of programs out there. What works for me, works. I'm not about to change.

I don't like those shareware programs that run on less than 30 days trial anyway. I don't have enough time to play with it.

Plus, yeah, there could be spyware on my computer. In fact, the spyware program I currently use even says there is when I scan, and removes it. Plus, some of it is even false alarms - stuff that I know what it is and WANT on there.

Enjoy your program. I think I'll stick with mine. :)

lightspeed

• View Profile
Clean computer
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2005, 02:10:45 pm »
just throwing my 2 cents in the ring , i use adaware se personal , i like it alot and it's free (no share ware ) have also used spybot search and destroy it's another free download and also is a great protection . for those on a budget or just want it free . [:D]

freddy888

• View Profile
    • AiDreams
Clean computer
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2005, 04:04:39 pm »
Thanks Art, will take a look.  Worst problem I have had so far was a trojan or worm that decided to live in my temp folder.  It kept duplicating itself until I found the PC slowed down.  Looking in the temp folder I found it had filled to something like 50 million files (okay, well A LOT).  So my advice is to keep an eye on what programs leave behind too, especially that temp folder.  Some places recommend you empty this regularly.  That's not Temporary Interenet folder btw, I mean the TEMP folder in CWINDOWS.

Enjoy your vacation, you lucky man![:D]
« Last Edit: October 06, 2005, 04:09:49 pm by freddy888 »

Bill819

• View Profile
Clean computer
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2005, 05:06:44 pm »
quote:
Originally posted by lightspeed

just throwing my 2 cents in the ring , i use adaware se personal , i like it alot and it's free (no share ware ) have also used spybot search and destroy it's another free download and also is a great protection . for those on a budget or just want it free . [:D]

Hello lightspeed
I also use both of those programs and I thought that they both worked just fine. I also have a popup blocker. Just for the heck of it I download the above mentioned program and let it run. It found 200 pieces of spyware, worms and a few other problems that I did not even know existed. They are are gone now.
Thanks for the link.
Bill

FuzzieDice

Clean computer
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2005, 01:06:40 am »
Thing is, I don't like to dish out anymore money than I need to. I already need to buy some other software, one for work and another for work and my AI research. And I have to save up for a move so I am short on cash. With stuff like spyware, you don't want to do this just ONCE but regularly. This program would only be used once for me... since I can't afford to buy it.

So far AdAware (free version), Grisoft's AVG virus scanner and popup blockers as well as using Firefox with an addin to block all scripts unless I specifically allow them for a certain site - all have been doing well for my PC (in addition to the firewall in WinXP SP2 set up properly as well). I use Thunderbird for Email and I have it set so it lists the emails and I can determine whether to open them or not, or view the source code of the email itself, headers, etc.

I haven't had any problems with my computer. I do regular maintenance too. The reason why I had to reinstall was a couple apps I installed screwed up the system. :( Another reason I'm picky. There were no viruses or anything like that, but just non-compatible libraries or something, dunno.

BTW, I heard of an AIM bot virus that was going around where the user is enticed by a friend to click on an image link. Then it sends a file to a temp folder and it won't allow you to delete it. :( Someone I know had that one. I didn't get it though, fortunately. Apparently it also sends itself to everyone on your buddy list which is why it would appear from a friend.

Stuff is out there... and it's always wise to have the computer locked down and secure as possible. I remember when these things weren't as big an issue, like say, when the internet first opened up to the public. Ah the memories...

Dr.Benway

• View Profile
Clean computer
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2005, 09:31:51 am »
After I scanned my computer as usual with:

- Norton Antivirus 2005 (paid)
- Ad-Aware SE Personal (free)
- Microsoft AntiSpyware (free)

I installed Ewido Security Suite and did a complete scan.

Download Attachment: 20051079330_Scan_rapport.txt

Afterwards Ewido reported to have found 78 infected objects.
I made a list of the Spyware-names and the number of occurrences in
the scan rapport by Ewido.

RESULT SCAN EWIDO
22x   Spyware.HiWire      
20x   Trojan.Java.Femad      
5x   Spyware.YourSiteBar   
4x   Spyware.RoingsSearch
3x   Spyware.NewDotNet
3x   Spyware.PowerStrip
3x   Trojan.Byteverify
2x   Spyware.SafeSurfing   
2x   TrojanDropper.Beyond.g   
2x   Dialer.Generic      
1x   Spyware.Cookie.Burstnet
1x   Spyware.Cookie.Doubleclick
1x   Spyware.Cookie.Esomniture
1x   Spyware.Cookie.Mediaplex
1x   Spyware.Cookie.Yieldmanager
1x   Spyware.ISTBar
1x   Spyware.WebRebates
1x   Trojan.Java.ClassLoader.k
1x   TrojanDownloader.Dluca.an
1x   TrojanDownloader.Inor.a
1x   TrojanDownloader.Small.wv
1x   TrojanDropper.Java.Beyond.g

I used the database at Spywareguide.com for further identification of those names. This is what I found out about the potential threat behind those names.

Spyware.HiWire------------------minimal threat (3)
Trojan.Java.Femad---------------name not found
Spyware.YourSiteBar-------------moderate threat (4)
Spyware.RoingsSearch------------moderate threat (4)
Spyware.NewDotNet---------------moderately dangerous (7)
Spyware.PowerStrip--------------minor annoyance (1)
Trojan.Byteverify---------------threat (5)
Spyware.SafeSurfing-------------name found, but unrated
TrojanDropper.Beyond.g----------name not found
Dialer.Generic------------------name not found
Spyware.Cookie.Burstnet---------name not found
Spyware.Cookie.Doubleclick------name not found
Spyware.Cookie.Esomniture-------name not found
Spyware.Cookie.Mediaplex--------name not found
Spyware.Cookie.Yieldmanager-----name not found
Spyware.ISTBar------------------potentially dangerous (6)
Spyware.WebRebates--------------potentially dangerous (6)
Trojan.Java.ClassLoader.k-------name not found
TrojanDownloader.Dluca.an-------threat (5)
TrojanDownloader.Inor.a---------name not found
TrojanDownloader.Small.wv-------name not found
TrojanDropper.Java.Beyond.g-----name not found

Explanation of danger levels used by Spywareguide:
1.   Minor annoyance
2.   Annoyance
3.   Minimal Threat
4.   Moderate Threat
5.   Threat
6.   Potentially Dangerous
7.   Moderately Dangerous
8.   Highly Dangerous
9.   Highly Dangerous
10.   Extremely dangerous

Microsoft AntiSpyware:
http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/spyware/software/default.mspx

Ad-Aware SE Personal:
http://www.download.com/3000-2144-10045910.html?part=69274&subj=dlpage&tag=button

Spyware Guide
http://www.spywareguide.com

« Last Edit: October 07, 2005, 09:34:01 am by Dr.Benway »

Duskrider

• Global Moderator
  • Graphic King
    • View Profile
Clean computer
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2005, 09:39:25 am »

Fuz,
Ah yes, the memories.
the internet genesis where virus's were few
and idiots fewer.
where internet was $10 a month and server operated from a neighbors attic.
In '96 I built a website, (given free by Geocities)
which still travels through the darkness of cyberspace.
Fuz, you may like a page,
a page from an age that is no more.
http://www.geocities.com/cass233/rhorseman.html

[;)]

Say Doc,
Just looked at what you posted while I was posting.
WOW!!!
That TrojanDownloader.Small.wv is reason enough to toss Norton out the window.

---Post update---
TrojanDownloader.Small.44.H is virus.
TrojanDownloader.Small.4.BQ is virus.
I see no evidence at this time at wv is a virus carrier. It may be just a vehicle to download spyware and other "unknowns" into your computer.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2005, 11:18:35 am by Duskrider »

Dr.Benway

• View Profile
Clean computer
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2005, 10:37:48 am »
quote:
Originally posted by Duskrider

Say Doc,
Just looked at what you posted while I was posting.
WOW!!!
That TrojanDownloader.Small.wv (virus) is reason enough to toss Norton out the window.

How do you know?

freddy888

• View Profile
    • AiDreams
Clean computer
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2005, 10:51:19 am »
hmm Trojan.Java.ClassLoader.k sounds very similar to the one I had, though it might be a variation on that name.

Dr.Benway

• View Profile
Clean computer
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2005, 12:32:49 pm »
How can we be sure that the makers of Ewido didn't cook up those names for spyware themselves?

How do we know that Ewido really found what it claims on my computer?

Why suddenly trust the makers of Ewido instead of the people from Norton and Microsoft?

freddy888

• View Profile
    • AiDreams
Clean computer
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2005, 03:07:50 pm »
Who knows and who knows where they will strike:

http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/index.cfm?go=news.view&news=5125