Author Topic: Active Backgrounds  (Read 21947 times)

tedathome

• View Profile
Active Backgrounds
« on: May 13, 2012, 12:32:46 pm »
Did you like Sandee's excerpts from her Switzerland visit? Yes it is finally possible to have active backgrounds in Hal. These backgrounds work in Haptek player, Amanda Interactive's latest OSI and Hal. I have to thank Amanda Interactive for the idea I got from the roadway zip posted there.  I have 20 different ones posted to my skydrive along with a how to text. All are included plus directions in "SKY" zip.

https://skydrive.live.com/?cid=c3fecc3c819da1da&Bsrc=Share&Bpub=SDX.SkyDrive&resid=C3FECC3C819DA1DA!147&id=C3FECC3C819DA1DA%21147#cid=C3FECC3C819DA1DA&id=C3FECC3C819DA1DA%21110

All have been tested by me many times in different Hal skins. To do it is not so complicated but is quite time consuming. I'm hoping that some of you will try it. I will check this post often and answer any questions if I can.  8)

Many thanks to Duskrider for technical help and moral support!
« Last Edit: May 13, 2012, 12:59:54 pm by tedathome »
ted

Carl2

• View Profile
Re: Active Backgrounds
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2012, 04:38:54 pm »
tedathome,
  I think they are great.  They will make the backgrounds seem much more realistic.  I just downloaded them and took a quick look through them, so far it seems simple enough to get them going.  I can still remember a post at Zabaware where a person wanted a way to get a realistic fireplace in the background, now you've made something like that possible.
  Big thanks to both you and Duskrider.
Carl2

tedathome

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2012, 07:31:29 pm »
That's great Carl! Good to hear you are trying it out.
ted

Carl2

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2012, 08:19:58 pm »
tedathome,
  I'm very excited about it, you've already showed it will work.  I got side tracked, If you remember the panoramic pictures  here is a link.  http://www.gayadesign.com/scripts/photonav/
The main link for the viewer is   http://www.gayadesign.com/diy/panoramic-photoviewer-in-javascript/
I saw this viewer ages ago and thought it would be great in hal, you've just jogged my memory and got me interested in it again. 
  I've already downloaded some panormic pictures and tried them in the HapRegestry, it just squeezes them in which ruins the whole thing.
  I didn't mean to side track you with my personal interest but they seem related and possibly you would also be interested in it.  As I said yours is great, the panormic thing would be icing on the cake.
Carl2

Carl2

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2012, 08:51:46 pm »
tedathome,
  That was quick, I unzipped, choose the zww set, copied and pasted them into my background folder,  tried it out and had a slight problem, changed the location in the hap provided and it now works fine.
Carl2

tedathome

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2012, 09:35:18 pm »
Carl, I'm very happy you got one to work for you. As for the panoramic view, I guess my approach to that would be to use the Vista snipping tool and go a short jog at a time to get a series of .jpg's.  The new OSI at Amanda interatctive has an auto-pace hap that I would want to time it with.
ted

Duskrider

• Global Moderator
  • Graphic King
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2012, 07:07:17 am »
Ted,
I had wondered how I would be able to explain it.
Beautiful presentation.  Easy to understand.

Sandee asked me if we going to do activeClothing.
I told her maybe evening dress with sparkling diamonds all over it. (artificial of course)

NIGE

• Bringing things to life
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2012, 08:45:41 am »
I agree with Dusky.
A very well thought out presentation.
Great job Ted.

sybershot

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2012, 08:47:47 am »
Thanks for sharing tedathome. I have not tried it out yet, but I will do so soon :D

tedathome

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2012, 08:48:15 am »
Thank  you guys!
ted

Carl2

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2012, 09:12:19 am »
Tedathome,
  Okay, checked out or played with the Hap windows OSI, made sure to try the AutopaceLp1.hap, opened and looked at the hap.  I opened the Hapregestry, Loaded a character, Loaded the active background zww, again it works fine, I loaded the AutopaceLP1.hap and the character moved around but the ripple effect stopped.
Just loaded the Autopacestop.hap and the ripple effect stopped again.
  I just tried a dozen or so Haps, Drag and drop into the console, clothing changes using a hap to load the bodyskin will stop the ripple, but drag and droping the jpg will not stop the ripple.  Walking and stop walking will stop the ripple, changing wigs will stop the ripple.
  I tried changing the timing in the zww.hap to give things time to load, Using .2, .4 ect slows te ripple effect but it still stops.  Just moved the zww.hap to the Hap windows OSI so iI could try it there, The bodyskins load a jpg so that's not a problem but the AutopaceLp1 will stop the ripple.
  Thanks for taking a look at the panormic pictures and your thoughts on it.
Carl2

lightspeed

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2012, 09:41:48 am »
Thanks ted and duskrider and anyone else who may have helped in all this , it's much appreciated i will if i have time today try to get it working , it's a very cool concept one i never thought i would see in Hal ! Thanks again for all the hard work that was put into this !! GREAT JOB !!! :) ;)

tedathome

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2012, 09:44:33 am »
Yeah Carl, I had tried talking to Hal in the Hal GUI and noticed that when I hit enter, the active background would take a very short pause. Didn't notice any stops while changing clothes by clicking in the osi. Hadn't tested changing clothes by hap in Hal, just drag and drop. I was hoping that the active backs would work out well with your clothing and background haps. By changing mood sript haps to command is how I was able to use in Hal. Are your clothes and backround haps command or script? Duskrider says this is also the way to have your girl sing an ogg without being interrupted. Mood haps work the same as always whether script or command, not sure about others but you could try that with your haps and see.
ted

tedathome

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2012, 09:58:27 am »
I just tried changing auto pace from script to command. It didn't work, had to change it back. It does stop the ripple as script. Probably no cure for some haps that have to be script.
ted

lightspeed

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2012, 10:54:21 am »
Ted am i missing something you said the sky drive had a txt how to instructions , where is it ? i selected all and extracted them and see all the active files of ech one but not the txt file of how to . is it a file by it'sself or in one of the many folder files ?  :P