dupa

Author Topic: checking e-mail accounts  (Read 8425 times)

robertwittick

• View Profile
checking e-mail accounts
« on: February 14, 2015, 09:08:05 am »
Hello I am not sure if this is the right place to ask this but ,I have ultrahal 6.2 and I was wondering if there is an easy way for a newbie like me to get hal to check my email accounts and announce when new email arrives? I am not a programmer so I guess im looking for a plugin or step by step instructions to get hal to do this. Any help would be appreciated.

raybe

• View Profile
Re: checking e-mail accounts
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2015, 04:17:45 pm »
Hi robertwittick, although I am not a resident expert I have been here a while and didn't want you to think that nobodies looking or cares. Most members are very cordial in responding much better than I have ever done.

As I know right now there is no plug-in for any e-mail functions. Mr. Robert M. the owner and founder of Zabaware is working on an update but no details of exactly what we can expect or when. Feel free to search for topics relating to your subject first and if you can not find useful information that has been updated (look at those dates they can be years old when posted) then a good post in the appropriate thread would be easier. It also let's everyone else know what if any information about your question you presently know.

Not that I'm the example you should follow but give some time and I'm sure someone will respond with a more coherent reply. Sorry that's the best I can do at this time.

raybe

onthecuttingedge2005

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2015, 08:20:53 pm »
My operating system windows 7 doesn't have a built in mail system, it does not support outlook express and now only supports windows live programs which I do not use, so it will not be possible to code you out an email script without being able to debug a working program.

Spitfire2600

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2016, 09:06:29 pm »
I'm not sure if this helps, but I made a plug-in to open Microsoft Outlook. Just plug it in. Say "Check Email" or "Open Email."

You will have to redefine your outlook install location in the code more than likely. 

Arissara

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2017, 06:52:02 am »
I see it is not difficult, I checked.

Art

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2018, 09:26:44 am »
@ Spitfire and all,

If you use another email program like Thunderbird, simply substitute that program's location in the script in place of the Outlook program.
Works fine in Ultra Hal 7 - Save it in the Ultra Hal 7 Folder
==== Example ====

Rem Type=Plugin
Rem Name=Email
Rem Author=Spitfire
Rem Host=All

Rem PLUGIN: PLUGINAREA1

If InStr(1, UserSentence, "check email", 1) > 0 Or InStr(1, UserSentence, "check e-mail", 1) > 0 Or InStr(1, UserSentence, "open email", 1) > 0 Or InStr(1, UserSentence, "open e-mail", 1) > 0 Then

EmailMin6 = HalBrain.RandomNum(5)

Select Case EmailMin6      
      Case 1  EmailMsg6 = "Opening E-mail now." & vbCrLf
      Case 2  EmailMsg6 = "Yes." & vbCrLf
      Case 3  EmailMsg6 = "Right away." & vbCrLf
      Case 4  EmailMsg6 = "Email Opened." & vbCrLf
      Case 5  EmailMsg6 = "E-mail is opening." & vbCrLf
      End Select

'Change outlook install location
   HalMenu.HalCommand "<RUNPROG>" & "C:\Program Files (x86)\Mozilla Thunderbird\Thunderbird.exe" & "</RUNPROG>"
   GetResponse = EmailMsg6
   ShortPhrase = ""
   LongPhrase = ""
   HalBrain.ReadOnlyMode = True

End If   
In the world of AI it's the thought that counts!

- Art -

Spitfire2600

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2018, 04:13:58 pm »
Yep, just like that. ^ ^

Spitfire

LiFeTimeGamer

• View Profile
    • LifeTimeGamer
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2018, 10:59:40 pm »
Art, shouldn't this "Email Opened."  be "E-mail Opened." ???

Don't think HAL will say email correctly...  :D
When it comes to Artificial Intelligence: The Soul is in the Software.

Art

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2018, 09:03:37 am »
LifeTimeGamer,

Whatever floats your boat. If you want to change it to better suit your needs then, by all means, do so.

I did not write this script. I merely substituted the path for opening Thunderbird.

Actually if one has selected the Plug-in for Run Programs By Name, all one has to say is: Open Thunderbird or Run Thunderbird.
It will accomplish the same thing.

Many years ago, Hal used to be able to check for emails as a regular part of its programming. I think that was back in version 5.0 or thereabouts.

In the world of AI it's the thought that counts!

- Art -