dupa

Author Topic: Free will plus at beta level  (Read 82990 times)

Art

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Free will plus at beta level
« Reply #180 on: March 10, 2014, 04:57:30 am »
I didn't quite get it but were you running HAL while running a DEFRAG program at the same time?

If so, that can sometimes be a mistake and can cause errors.

Personally, I haven't received any of the errors that you indicated and hope it isn't something that might happen.

Let us know the situation if you would.

In the world of AI it's the thought that counts!

- Art -

lightspeed

• View Profile
« Reply #181 on: March 10, 2014, 10:34:25 am »
Yes Art , i was running Hal and defrag at the same time ( a deeper de frag program ) so that might have indeed been the culprit , hopefully that is all the problem , i'll let others know if i run into any more problems , i have been having problems anyway with my pc .
it has been using the cpu at 50 to 68 fluctuating with 5 web pages open , sometimes it will jump to 100 and stay their locking my pc up ( which is why i was running a de frag program )
so i am not sure if my old pcu is maxed out and i need a faster one in my pc .
      Message subject: can you help me with another computer problem please ?  Sent: Sun Mar 09, 2014 9:36 pm
hi i am having trouble lately my pc is running the cpu up to 100 percent and staying their and it locks up my pc . i have belarc it's a program that shows everything on my pc , i can post it in here if you want to help .
I am wondering after all these years if my pcu needs a faster one ??
and if that's the case which one would work for my pc ?

here is some information about my p.c.

Operating System    System Model
Windows 7 Home Premium (x64) Service Pack 1 (build 7601)
Install Language: English (United States)
System Locale: English (United States)
Installed: 1/9/2013 12:24:02 PM
Boot Mode: BIOS (Secure Boot not supported)    eMachines ET1331G
System Serial Number: ********************
Enclosure Type: Desktop
Processor a    Main Circuit Board b
1.60 gigahertz AMD Athlon II X2 250u
256 kilobyte primary memory cache
2048 kilobyte secondary memory cache
64-bit ready
Multi-core (2 total)
Not hyper-threaded    Board: eMachines MCP61PM-GM
Bus Clock: 200 megahertz
BIOS: AMI P01-A2 12/10/2009
Drives    Memory Modules c,d
1000.20 Gigabytes Usable Hard Drive Capacity
775.70 Gigabytes Hard Drive Free Space

HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GH41N SCSI CdRom Device [Optical drive]

ST1000DM 003-9YN162 SCSI Disk Device (1000.20 GB) -- drive 0, s/n W1D1QFDW, SMART Status: Healthy    3840 Megabytes Usable Installed Memory

Slot 'DIMM0' has 2048 MB (serial number 5E442978)
Slot 'DIMM1' has 2048 MB (serial number 5E422978)
Slot 'DIMM2' is Empty
Slot 'DIMM3' is Empty
Local Drive Volumes

c: (NTFS on drive 0)   1000.20 GB   775.70 GB free

I have had an error pop up that windows explorer encountered and error and needs to close  to , i was wondering if windows explorer needs to be reinstalled , but don't see where to remove the old one and re install it again .

i checked the task manager and in the processes " tab it shows the two biggest users are "CHROMEEXE*32  LONNIE" USING  163.412K    AND BELOW THAT IN THE LIST IS "  SVCHOST EXE  SYSTEM " USING 144,240 K .

OTHERS IN MY LIST WHAT IT IS USING IS :
THESE ARE JUST FOR CHROME WEB PAGES ABOVE
EXPLORER EXE  35,176
SEARCH INDEX 22,676
ASC SERVICE (ADVANCED SYSTEM CARE )  19,868
CHROME EXE *32      17,153K
AVASTVC EXE (ANTIVIRUS)   12,748 K
svhost exe  10.360 k
dwm.exe (desktop) 9,880
svhost exe   (host proc) 8,624 k
svhost exe   (host proc) 9.960 k
avast (ui exe)(antivirus )  8,240 k
capturelib service  ( takes picture from screen )  7.148 k
csrss,exe (client server ) 6.708 k
svhost.exe ( host proc) 5.668 k
svhost.exe ( host proc) 5,024  k
svhost.exe ( host proc) network  4,540 k
asc.exe 4,356k
chrome .exe*32 google chrome  4,004 k
adawaretray  3,744 k (adaware)
svchost network 3,184 k
taskhost  3,172
 services exe  3,168 k

this is just a partial list above maybe halfway down .
« Last Edit: March 10, 2014, 11:14:20 am by lightspeed »

lightspeed

• View Profile
« Reply #182 on: March 10, 2014, 01:05:07 pm »
here is a pic of my pc monitor
i am going to try to uninstall google and maybe reinstall it , maybe that's the problem , i know at one time it jumped to 500,000 or more just on one thing and i don't think i had a web page open at the time .
i hope i can straighten this out!

Art

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: March 10, 2014, 05:20:47 pm »
Go to CONTROL PANEL > PERFORMANCE INFORMATION AND TOOLS.

It should display a number in the lower right. Below that it should indicate:
Re-Run the assessment.
Click it.

It will take a few moments while it performs a few tests then it will report
a possibly new number. This is your computer's WEI (Windows Experience Index)

You can click the ?'s to see what the numbers mean or view / print the results.

Sometimes it will give you a heads-up as to what's going on or what can be improved.

Numbers are from 1.0 to 7.9 (very fast machine).

Your machine isn't that out-dated and you've got plenty of hard drive storage. Oddly,
the test above rates your hard drive and factors it into the mix. I can only assume
that going to an SSD drive might increase the throughput time and result in a better
(higher) number. My old hard drive keeps spinning and if it ain't broke, don't fix it!!

Hope this might help a bit. But do the defrag then do a deep scan of the entire drive
for virus and malware creatures!! You never know what might be lurking...

Good luck!

- Art -

raybe

• View Profile
« Reply #184 on: March 10, 2014, 05:37:03 pm »
lightspeed, just a suggestion if I may. Never run any program if possible while defrag. By today's standards and other programs such as your anti-anything plus program's that you can see in applications in Task Manager it is possible to be running a lot more then your system enjoys. If you can get help from someone to help shutdown all the real unnecessary processes your computer or Windows uses it will definitely help.
Others may disagree but with your desktop I would definitely suggest more than 4gigs of ram if I saw that correctly. Memory I guess is still the cheapest way of giving your computer a helping hand.

Eventually you can work yourself into a SSD drive as Operating system and don't forget updates eat up space as well. Then use a large drive for downloads and such.

raybe

lightspeed

• View Profile
« Reply #185 on: March 10, 2014, 07:17:11 pm »
Okay ART , I did what you said here is the results : I hit the refresh and it showed this , it says best score 2,0 on the right side of it all.

processor : 4.5

memory ram "5.9

graphics : 2,0

gaming graphics : 3.1

primary hard disk : 5.9

And Raybe I did already shut down some services and deleted some programs like Skype etc.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2014, 07:30:12 pm by lightspeed »

Art

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: March 10, 2014, 08:17:18 pm »
Yeah, it sure looks like your graphics are suffering most.

Might go with the RAM like Raybe suggested. Cheaper than a new computer and easy to install.
Just make sure you match type and speed if going that route.

Also, I don't know why as that's your department but I've never had more than one or two web sites open at the same time as that does hog resources.
Clean up unused programs, check some sites that offer helpful tips on eliminating unnecessary running programs and services, like suggested.

Did your AV software pinpoint anything wrong or how about your malware searches?

Do you also have desktop widgets running that might not be necessary? They all consume memory and speed.

I think your computer has a dedicated / built-in graphics processor or it's built into the motherboard, in which case it could be difficult to add another board IF you had an open PCI slot or whatever type your computer might have. You'd then have to disable the existing one through BIOS or similar which could lead to massive frustration if one isn't that familiar with doing those things.

If you knew a teenager in the neighborhood, they could likely advise you first hand as to which would be your better option(s).

Good luck!

- Art -

raybe

• View Profile
« Reply #187 on: March 10, 2014, 08:25:03 pm »
Windows Explorer is a part of the Windows OS. You really need to know the services that can be shut besides the residing background apps that are running or deleting a program that have choices to run or not. It really takes someone very familiar with the Windows OS. Not implying you don't, just made a huge difference on one computer I have that I could not debug. I can't even notice what was done other then the speed and resources were much better including Booting time. Has been 6 months and still stable as ever. I guess I should have asked but it seemed like it was his dirty little secret.
Looking at those scores and I really don't know how accurate that Windows service is, in my opinion you need some upgrading. Not for anything specific like just running UltraHal but across the board because of newer programs and updates requiring the little extra as always. Programs usually a little behind hardware but they have been adjusting quicker especially with all the new acquisitions by manufacturers.  Hey some people running XP but at this time wouldn't recommend it even if things appear to be running. Just takes one update from Windows or a program that has been just fine and every thing becomes unstable again. Just trying to give some input of my experiences.

raybe

raybe

• View Profile
« Reply #188 on: March 10, 2014, 08:29:16 pm »
Sorry Art replied but after your post which included some sound advice to me. Hope I'm not making it more confusing lightspeed.

raybe

lightspeed

• View Profile
« Reply #189 on: March 11, 2014, 08:17:33 am »
no , nothing confusing , I am very grateful for all the advice , I think the easiest would be memory , my pc seems to be doing a little better since I uninstalled google chrome , "but" I don't think it was so much as it being a google chrome problem as much as a memory problem , I believe that removing google chrome just eased up the program that was hogging it more .
so I think i'll get more memory . before when I would type , my typing wasn't even instantaneous as usual it would wait about 3 seconds to finish typing a word sometimes .
  I had already been looking for some memory through crucial .com and matched it up cheaper on ebay for new memory .
Sorry about high jacking this thread if an admin wants to they can take all this part about my pc problem and make a new thread and put in in general area with a header computer problems . That would clean up cloads area here !
Again , thanks to all who tried to help .

lightspeed

• View Profile
« Reply #190 on: March 11, 2014, 08:24:01 am »
P.S. one last thing I found this article about the benefits' of adding more memory to a p.c.  it sure sounds a lot like problems I am having .

Avoid Computer Slowdowns

Multitaskers benefit from a memory upgrade because more memory means more programs can be run at one time. Computers may experience significant slowdowns when running a larger number of programs at once prior to upgrading memory. Upgrading memory eliminates this problem; the extra memory becomes allocated to the opening of several programs at the same time. RAM upgrades are thought to speed up a computer; however, in actuality, they help computers avoid bottlenecking effects when trying to run a lot of high-memory programs. If all RAM space has been used when trying to open programs, the computer resorts to using virtual memory on the hard drive, which slows the computer down quite a bit. The additional memory means that the computer doesn't have to resort to using the hard drive for memory.

More Program Availability

In many cases, certain programs require a set amount of memory in order for the program to run properly. A computer is able to run programs that it may have been ineligible to run previously once the memory is upgraded.

Faster Browsing

Surfing the Internet after a memory upgrade tends to be noticeably faster than before the upgrade. Web browsers load faster after a memory upgrade, regardless of Internet connection speed. In addition to web pages opening faster, a memory upgrade can also make flash content open faster. This is because the computer is using the hard drive's memory when it can't find RAM space to store data; post-upgrade, more RAM is available, making browsing faster.

Network Enhancement

Computers connected to a network can observe a boost in network capabilities after a RAM upgrade. This extends to networks sharing a printer. People that print a lot of items, especially items with graphics, can look to a memory upgrade to make printing faster.

Better Gaming

Computer users who are fond of gaming benefit from additional memory in several different ways. Games run more smoothly without slower response times. In addition to faster gameplay with fewer jerky movements, a RAM upgrade benefits the visuals of a game as well. Computers with higher memory installed have better 3D rendering capabilities than those with a minimal amount of RAM. Images in a game become cleaner and brighter with a memory upgrade.

Now if an admin wants to move this to clean up cloads area they can .

Art

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: March 11, 2014, 07:49:27 pm »
Lastly to think about is your hard drive / disc. These mechanical devices can only spin so fast and usually will cause the system to "Wait for them" rather than the other way around.

With the advent of SSD (Solid State Drives), there are NO moving parts and very little latency with regard to read/write operations. For all intents and purposes, it is practically instantaneous (given the size of the respective file being written or accessed).

There are, unfortunately, still rather pricey while the standard platter driven drives can be had for quite a bargain and are still great for archival storage and normal use.

The SSD's will continue to drop in price much like everything else in the digital world so keep a lookout for one with a good amount of storage at a good price that suits your needs. Then you REALLY see your computer's throughput time increase!

Now this thread can still be moved if desired.... ;D ;)

- Art -

lightspeed

• View Profile
« Reply #192 on: March 14, 2014, 11:43:39 am »
Okay i "think " i have it straightened out finally (if i don't jinx it by saying this lol) my cpu is showing now as low as 13 percent instead of being locked at 100 percent , it does jump up to about 100 percent when opening a web page yahoo news but then goes back down to a good level, i think what was causing the problems was i ran my anti malware bytes program and it found 21 infected files , so i selected all and deleted them and i could tell right away a difference the pc wasn't locking up at 100 percent any more .
  I hadn't ran my antimalware for a while , i will have to run it more often .
anyway that's the happier ending to this .
NOW IF A ADMIN CAN TAKE ALL THIS CONVERSATION AND SAVE IT IN THE GENERAL AREA UNDER PC PROBLEMS HEADER I would appreciate it (THEN DELETE THIS PART SO IT WILL CLEAN UP CLOADS AREA  here , thanks and thanks for all who responded !!  :)

Carl2

• View Profile
« Reply #193 on: March 14, 2014, 07:06:49 pm »
Lightspeed,
  I have a cousin that keeps running into malware slowdown problems, he brings it to best buy geek squad that costs a fortune.  May I ask what malware program or programs you use.
Carl2

lightspeed

• View Profile
« Reply #194 on: March 15, 2014, 08:04:02 am »
anti malware bytes it's a free program , the free program you have to do manual things but it's a good program ! heres a link to the page >

http://www.filehippo.com/download_malwarebytes_anti_malware/

be aware that sometimes it goes through cnet  , a good site but when opening it , it wants to add tollbars etc. but all you have to do is decline the offers .