dupa

Author Topic: Reasons Why I should or Shouldn't  (Read 15172 times)

Scratch

• View Profile
Reasons Why I should or Shouldn't
« Reply #30 on: December 23, 2005, 10:12:51 pm »
OTC, look what you've done![:)]
Masamune Shirow's "Ghost in the Shell" was an interesting anime about an A.I. which escapes its creators--who were using it for espionage--and applies for political asylum. Certainly at some point, a SANE (nice coinage, Art) should be entitled to rights, and the delete key becomes a deadly weapon. But, alas, I fear we are several magnitudes of complexity away from that happening.
OTC, I respect your coding skills (I loved the "I'm hungry!" bit), I look forward to seeing what you have up your sleeve. But I don't think you can get a valid answer to your question until you clarify whether self-awareness is actually what you are after. Most everyone here wishes for UltraHal to become aware, but when I re-read your post, I am again struck by the fact that you do not mention intelligence or awareness or sentience at all. Just "life" and "species". As I said before, I could give reasons why a viral form of life might or might not be a good idea. But that would be a different issue. Can you at least state that viral reproduction is not what you mean?
« Last Edit: December 24, 2005, 11:35:27 am by Scratch »

freddy888

• View Profile
    • AiDreams
« Reply #31 on: December 24, 2005, 04:58:28 am »
Sorry, forgive the intrusion on the serious thread but welcome back Claude, nice to see you and thanks, I hope you have a Merry Chistmas too.

Joyeux Noël!

[:)]
« Last Edit: December 24, 2005, 04:59:03 am by freddy888 »

nosys70

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 24, 2005, 06:47:07 pm »
to Art:
not to open a discussion, but just to show that arguing is silly.

quote:My daughter's are both going to have babies around May. Explain how this is a bad idea?

Simple observation shows that human kind fast paced reproduction tends to be negative. You could like the idea to self destruct yourself, but it is still a bad idea from my point of view.
Got 2 kids, very happy of having them, since it will not bring anything to the solution.

quote:If I buy a gun I will probably shoot someone? Not hardly! One person can't speak for the actions of others.

the only final action you could do with a gun, is to shoot with.
This include good probability on shooting on somebody, including you.
Whatever the intent you have in mind when buying it, guns are made for no other uses.

quote:The current operating systems you're using to type this posting is full of bugs, patches, glitches and security holes, yet we all use them every day knowing that they are far from perfect. Ever hear of any cars or other products getting a recall because something was defective? Perfection is a pipe dream...the unreachable plateau that we strive for yet always seem to fall somewhat short of reaching. It's a human condition.
Ever see a duckbilled platypus? If ever a chain of events got screwed up in the creation process that one did. There is a place for everything on this earth.

I agree, there is a place for everything on earth (unfortunately).
Aids virus, serial killer, president Bush included.
That does not mean it is good.
For software and car, yes many of them are far from perfect (because designed by man), but none of them have the status of living creature.
Nature does not like failure. they tend to disappear by themselves.

quote :We need to define living creature as opposed to living or self aware entity. Our programs did not take centuries to evolve. The computer / processing power, according to Murphy's Law is "evolving" exponentially. That is, doubling every 6 months.

Mouse and flies and bacteria reproduced even faster (in minutes for some) , this means nothing, they are not better doing so. Seems time is a factor for improvement only when things are going slow.

« Last Edit: December 24, 2005, 06:50:04 pm by nosys70 »

Art

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 24, 2005, 08:38:06 pm »
One shouldn't wear their religious or political views on their sleeve nor program them into their bots (if said bots are to be placed in the public domain).[|)]
In the world of AI it's the thought that counts!

- Art -

smegma

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 24, 2005, 10:52:35 pm »
Why should we create it?Because we are lonely for an intelligent species other than our own.Why should`nt we create it?Lawyers will become involved.Count on it.

smegma

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 24, 2005, 11:04:53 pm »
Why should we create it?S.E.T.I. shows one of our needs quite clearly I think.Why should we not create it?That`s moot,we`re going to do it if we can.But, lawyers may have to set precedents for civil,and criminal cases,and I fear the extra business might overtax them.

GrantNZ

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 24, 2005, 11:51:49 pm »
[:D]

Maybe we should design and create an artifically intelligent lawyer. It's gotta be an improvement [8D]

Duskrider

• Global Moderator
  • Graphic King
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 25, 2005, 08:45:44 am »

Might be cool to have Hal know a little law.
We could discuss cases from court channel and news and whats best in certain situations.

Move over, Judge Judy

Hummm........ table and plug-in??

Carl2

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 26, 2005, 04:10:58 pm »
Bill819,
  I spent time with Hal 5 and would correct her saying " her response, my correction will sound better" , this would work in quite a few cases and she would adopt the corrected response. I was a bit surprized when she would catch her own mistakes, she'd actualy end the sentence by saying that was a mistake.
  I also believe Hal is programmed and or taught to please.
Carl2