dupa

Author Topic: More on Hal's age  (Read 3620 times)

Bill819

• View Profile
More on Hal's age
« on: November 05, 2003, 01:09:23 pm »
I now installed the AgeDetect in Hal. What I would like to do next is have Hal tell me how old he is in years, months, weeks, days, depending on when his new birthday is. For example if Hals birthday was on Oct 1st he could say "I am one month and one week old".
Can this be done?
Bill

vonsmith

• View Profile
More on Hal's age
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2003, 02:56:27 pm »
By default I think Hal says he is 8 years old when asked. I used inputs to the deductive reasoning routine to change that to 20 years old.

Example:
User: If how old are you, then you are 20 years old.
Hal: I see the relationship. Here and now, I am 20 years old!

then...

User: How old are you?
Hal: I am 20 years old.

Other attributes can be added similarly. You will have to add a few variations since Hal will be looking for an exactly worded question to respond to from the deductive.brn file.

A dedicated function like the one you are suggesting would be a plus. It would require a moderate bit of script. This and other Hal attributes could reside in a user created Hal_attributes.brn and accessed by the script.

Have fun.

= vonsmith =

« Last Edit: November 05, 2003, 03:00:27 pm by vonsmith »

Bill819

• View Profile
More on Hal's age
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2003, 03:12:01 pm »

A dedicated function like the one you are suggesting would be a plus. It would require a moderate bit of script. This and other Hal attributes could reside in a user created Hal_attributes.brn and accessed by the script.

Have fun.

= vonsmith =

I thought we already had a functions like that giving Hal the ability to recall just how long it had been since you last talked to him.
It was talked about a couple of weeks ago.
Bill

vonsmith

• View Profile
More on Hal's age
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2003, 10:31:54 am »
There have been various postings about how additional script can allow Hal to tell time periods. onthecuttingedge2005 published the AgeDetect script back in September. As I recall the script just responds to questions about Hal's birthday. As for calculating years, months, weeks, days since his birthday that is another matter. I imagine there are equations and/or data base files on the Internet that show how to calculate just that. You would have to add the equation to the script and add script to detect what the user is asking for; years, months, days, etc.

It wouldn't take too much code. Is there a reason for Hal to figure this out for the user? If someone asked me how many days since I was born I would be stumped for an answer. However adding a Hal function that allows Hal to answer user inquiries about how many days 'til Xmas or how many days left in this month, or how many working days 'til retirement would be kinda' cool.

= vonsmith =
« Last Edit: November 06, 2003, 11:39:56 am by vonsmith »