Author Topic: helping someone understand about hal  (Read 2094 times)

lightspeed

• View Profile
helping someone understand about hal
« on: January 13, 2010, 09:54:14 am »
i have another person who is interested in hal but after using the demo for a short time , he asked me some questions and i told him this to explain things better .

first thing you have to know and remember with hal is (hal is not a chat bot ) chat bots have pre written answers so that it seems like it knows many things .  hal is an actual artificial intellegence program that will talk back to you and "learn" from talking with you things like what you like , your feelings, etc.
results arent real fast like chat bots but thats because answers arent pre written they are actually learned .

i think many people when you say a.i. they think automatically that they are very smart and can do many things right off the bat ( which from a selling point of a software is one reason you want to get as much dedication into the a.i. part as possible as this is your selling point on a demo.

i did tell him about the other options like the voice he didn't like the original voice and about the characters .
 i have told him he can ask questions here and people will answer what they can .

of course with hal its more complicated and many questions need to be answered to a new person so i have told him ask whatever he wants and i will try to answer them .

[:)]

lightspeed

• View Profile
helping someone understand about hal
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2010, 09:43:34 am »
the person who is interested in hal and is keeping in touch with me as i told him he could wrote me back after using hal a little more , the reason i am posting what he wrote me is to emphasize what many have said is that hal also need more develepement into the a.i.

the guy wrote this back to me after using the demo of hal :

I asked him simple question, some he got, most he didn't.
Several math questions, followed by:
What's the Capital of Nebraska?
How far away is Jupiter?
Which planet has the most moons?
How many planets in The Solar System?
How big is the Moon?
How many Moons can the Earth hold?
What is the nearest star?
How many rings around Saturn?
How high is Mount Everest?
Who was he first to climb Mount Everest?

He only got the math questions and the Capital Cities questions right.

i know ( me,  lightspeed ) that every person is differenet in what they would ask
but does and can hal work also as a chat bot with direct answers also ??
although some of this is probably people expecting to much and thinking hal knows everything , and as such in cases like this things that people would be interested in would be best programed into hal , maybe a survey to peeple what would you be most interested in asking an a.i. and the ones that are doable place that information in hal , keep doing surveys every so often , keep entering new data . just a thought (this data would be included in the base brain and the demo model , the better the demo can impress people the better its going to attract customers and sell.
[:)]