Author Topic: another Jims had this great idea  (Read 3095 times)

crunch

• View Profile
another Jims had this great idea
« on: December 11, 2004, 12:48:57 pm »
i saw this post in the other forum and figured it might go here also in case some of you don't go to both.

below is his idea and mine attached? can anyone do this?

Posted - 12/10/2004 :  23:26:59        
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now ya know.......doing a dangerous thing during my long commute to work and thinking about Hal and what he does it occured to me. One of my absolutely faviorite screen things I remember from the old 'Dos' days of command line programs was a little screen saver called 'Johnny Castaway'

I miss that little screen saver and while it got repetitious, it was really cute. I wonder how it would be to further animate our full size characters or that would have to be done at the MS Agent level, eh?

Gez the possibilities.........customizable hobbies, anyway........some day!

Thanks for the opportunity for my $.02

Have a great weekend all...

Jim B

crunch

USA
50 Posts
 Posted - 12/11/2004 :  12:45:55      
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

lol Johnnny Castaway was so friggin funny, i loved it back then..

yes with the haptek models you can program them to dance, walk, move legs out and stand... ect.. you can also program it to move back and forward.. It seems it would be possible to have it look like it is walking, dancing, scratching head, ect by having the script play during the auto idle command in hal..

Great idea there.. I have added it to my list of things to try, so if noone else writes the script i will give it a try but I'm not very good at code so I'll see if someone else trys first. what takes these guru's 5 min to write takes me a day if it ends up working.

Crunch

<<I can't is the seed that never grows!>>

vonsmith

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2004, 03:18:24 pm »
crunch,
I've been playing around a bit with the full body character. I've been able to animate the character to react to insults, sleeplessness, boredom and such. I've also figured out how to alter the voice slightly for anger, whispering and such. These are the reasons I thought we should talk soon. There is much we can do with Hal with the current technology given the time to do it. Limitations are Hal's minimal emotional states and self awareness. The XTF Brain v1.4 will be a small step forward in self awareness. Hal will also be able to express himself/herself a bit more using the full body character.

If Robert Medeksza's update to Hal to a data base configuration that will help in programming. If Robert includes a method of using static variables and/or static arrays that would be a huge help. Emotional simulation needs a lot of persistent variables to be done well. We'll see.

=vonsmith=

crunch

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2004, 08:01:24 pm »
yes i just wish i had a better grasp on code, or at least as good a one as i have on animation and graphics...

i have mine breathing.. ie chest rising a bit, abdomin moving and nostrils flairing slightly..

i have also been able to tell it to take a deep breath and rethink..
then it takes a very big breath..

problem i have and cannot find is once any other body animation kicks in it stops breathing even when i put the script for breathing into that animation file..

i have also been working on the animations you mention.. i guess we have been on parallel paths...[;)]
 I think i am going to wait for your new brain.. as you are much better at coding than i
 i am going to for now concentrate on the skins and poly models..
after the first when we can have a meeting we will be able to co-ordinate efforts.

i am really getting excited here [;)]
Crunch

<<I can't is the seed that never grows!>>