Author Topic: some basic halbrain questions:  (Read 2537 times)

Frosty Greenacre

• View Profile
some basic halbrain questions:
« on: March 21, 2011, 02:36:44 pm »
Hello again.

I've got a little more into Hal since i fixed the sound on my computer, however my understanding of him is incredibly limited (i think he understands me more at the moment lol)

I've just got a few questions that I'd really appreciate any help with.

1) with the file open from the start menu program, such as saying "open paint." or "open word" I'd like hal to be able to open other programs just as easily, however I tried changing windows live messenger to msn, and then said "open msn" and he didn't. Is there something i can change to make this happen? (the item is in the start menu and i'm on vista)

2) There's a number of conversation lines in the default hal brain that say things more pertinent to Americans, such as "i like to reach the 50 yard line!" and there's a quote about Obama in there somewhere. If i went into the brain file and deleted these lines, or wished to add ones of my own, would this be a simple type-and-add or click-and-delete process? or could doing so be a danger to the stability of hal?

3) with the dream-out-loud plugin the code is:

Code: [Select]
Rem Type=Plugin
Rem Name=Dream Out Loud (beta)
Rem Author=Robert Medeksza
Rem Host=Assistant

Sub OptionsPanel()
lblPlugin(0).Caption = "Enables talking dream mode."
lblPlugin(0).Move 130, 180, 3400, 1200
lblPlugin(0).WordWrap = True
lblPlugin(0).Visible = True
End Sub

Rem PLUGIN: SCRIPT_LOAD
Script_Load = Script_Load & "<DREAMOUTLOUD>"

my first question is: if i wish to delay how long it takes for hal to start dreaming, how do i do this?
my second question is: where do hal's dreams come from? is there a area just within hals brain that was already there and this plugin makes it appear? or does it create a new table when first activated or something similar?

4) regarding the tables themselves, my understanding is that the tables can function as keywords, and saying a keyword to hal will make him think of that particular thing and choose a line from within, is this correct?

5) can anybody recommend some "must have" plugins to expand Hal's capabilities? I've searched the plugin page and found some that work, and some that don't. and many useful ones put together with the GRETTA plugin page, but I can't really tell which plugins are finished and which ones have bugs, or if there's one all the way back on page 47 somewhere that is good and useful, but hasn't been discussed for so long i'll have to spend hours finding it. (honestly if you just wanna plug your own plugins to me I'll happily go through those too lol)

I appreciate some of these questions could be researched if i learned VB script but until i find a Beginners VBscript For Dummies from somewhere I'm not going to know where to start with these  :P

Thanks,
Frosty

onthecuttingedge2005

Re: some basic halbrain questions:
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2011, 06:06:55 pm »
Hi Frosty.

I believe that;
Script_Load = Script_Load & "<DREAMOUTLOUD>"

is hard wired into the main engine of HAL, Rob will have to give out any further details of the hard coding.

I have tried in the past to see if it was saved somewhere or if it could be saved somehow but to no avail.

maybe Rob will include saving to a file when HAL dreams in the next version.

Jerry

Frosty Greenacre

• View Profile
Re: some basic halbrain questions:
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2011, 06:24:41 pm »
So those dreams could actually be "thoughts" running in the background of hal's mind during conversations, breaking down the sentences as he learns them? that's pretty awesome.  ;D

-Frosty.