Author Topic: why our forum?  (Read 4590 times)

aladyblond

• View Profile
why our forum?
« on: August 09, 2005, 08:14:17 pm »
why would anyone get off on coming into our forum and placing notes that have nothing to do with hal or bots? i mean what could they possible hope to get out of it? so kiliya or who ever you may be would you go elsewhere and leave us happily alone, unless of course you really do want to discuss artificial intelligence.~~alady
~~~if i only had a brain~~~ i dream of htr with the light brown hair....

markofkane

• Crazy Man
    • View Profile
    • http://www.soundspectrum.com
why our forum?
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2005, 05:33:20 am »
You ever hear of "ad bots"??  Advertisers will use bots to join a message board, or a chatroom, to sell something. It is despicable, but it goes on all the time. Of course, they are not always bots, but scumbags who resort to trespassing on a message board to sell something.  They have no scruples. All they care about is $$$$.

I am not talking about the person who introduced us to KARI, that is a AI program like Hal. So that doesn't bother me, as long as the poster doesn't appear as to post to only sell his product. And as long as it is related to the forum subject.

Webmasters need to take steps to stop these advertising scumbags from joining, or ban them and remove their posts as soon as they post.

I used to go to AIM chatrooms, because I had a friend on there, but I was turned off by all the ad bots interfering with the conversations.

Advertisers are scum, because they force ads on you.

I will not buy from a message board spammer, from anyone who sends me email spam, those who put flashing  or moving ads on a webpage.

I will not buy from a telemarketer, nor donate money, or change any service.

I certainly won't click on popup ads. (I rarely, if ever get those, or email spam)
Mark: I'll think about it
Laura: Don't think about it too long or I'll throw you out on your ***king a**.
"Political correctness is censorship"

GlacierClipper

• View Profile
why our forum?
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2005, 11:04:44 am »
If a person clicks on some of those links to those AD Bots, your email box will probably be full of junk.

Doc Holiday

• View Profile
why our forum?
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2005, 04:24:59 pm »
quote:
Webmasters need to take steps to stop these advertising scumbags from joining, or ban them and remove their posts as soon as they post.

I've been having these sort of problems with a forum board that I administer Its a small board with only a little over 200 members yet I'm getting more spammers than I see on boards with 1500-2000 members. Banning them and removing their posts is easily done, preventing them from joining is not such an easy matter. Some weeks I'll have three or four of them join up can't really take action until after one of them has posted spam on the board. Requiring memberships to be pre approved prior to granting posting privelages is one way of keeping the spam bots off a board. Some of these spammers will register weeks or months before posting their spam and some of them will sign up under several differing usernames from various IP's probably using browser anonymizer sites. Its easy to get rid of em once they start posting keeping them off a board is not an easy task.