Author Topic: looking for a non-google web search plugin.  (Read 6453 times)

doggs

• View Profile
looking for a non-google web search plugin.
« on: June 02, 2014, 01:08:55 pm »
I detest google period. I have been looking for either a bing or customizable search engine to use in place of google. any help finding one? also a conservative plug in would be nice or an unbias plugin. the unbias I know would be near impossible. not everyone is a liberal and does not want to hear the liberal point of view. not trying to be political but would like an option other than liberal media. any advice or a point in the right direction would be nice. I am not a programmer so be kind to me. I take software and try to break it for the most part pushing it to the limits. I can build any computer set up you want, but when it comes to reading code and playing with code those days of the military have long ago fallen by the wayside now I am just lazy I guess lol.
be informed and always vote it will help you in the long run does not matter if your liberal, conservative or independent. stay informed and watch the votes in government not what the media tells you.

onthecuttingedge2005

Re: looking for a non-google web search plugin.
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2014, 10:20:30 am »
Hi Doggs.

you can just swap out the google line search for another, it's pretty easy.

jerry

doggs

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2014, 01:34:19 pm »
Cool thanks now I need to figure out how. Time to research
be informed and always vote it will help you in the long run does not matter if your liberal, conservative or independent. stay informed and watch the votes in government not what the media tells you.

Calhoone

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2014, 09:23:06 pm »
Hi Doggs,

If you are looking for a non-intrusive and non tracking search engine then I recommend startpage.  It was designed to keep websites and whoever else likes tracking and monitoring what people search for from doing so.

https://startpage.com/

As for where to edit it. Just open the plugin with a text editor and look where the google.com link is and replace it with startpage.com.  Just guessing it's an external plugin.

I hope that helps!
« Last Edit: June 03, 2014, 09:26:26 pm by Calhoone »

doggs

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2014, 01:59:51 am »
got ya ill check into it tomorrow. on vacation for a few months but still busy.

and thank you.

doggs

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2014, 02:02:14 am »
wow just read some stuff about startpage.com wicked cool and up my alley. I use german email for same reasons. again wicked cool.

Art

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2014, 09:24:29 pm »
startpage just seems to be a hang-on to the already well established ixquick.com page that some of us have been using for many years!

Good luck!
In the world of AI it's the thought that counts!

- Art -

doggs

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2014, 10:34:17 pm »
Yeah art I am a conservative if you haven't figured it out yet lol. On my laptop I start my browser on a conservative site (still looking for that elusive unbiased site). With more than 90% media in this country being liberal it is hard. I mean it is great for you to have the right of views in this country I just don't care for the communist bs. I love the free market system. I will check out the other site as I found start page is using google search engine. Hope all is well with you art. I refuse to support a company like google. June 23 can't get here fast enough lol come on cortana. Still preferred Hal.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2014, 10:36:58 pm by doggs »

Art

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2014, 08:31:57 pm »
Yeah, funny how the neat companies eventually give in and get bought up by the great and powerful Google!

Of course, we should all know it's simply about the money!

I despise the fact that free thinking and exploration must always seem to choose a Political path instead of a logical and genuine one!

We can always hope!
In the world of AI it's the thought that counts!

- Art -

doggs

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2014, 08:15:20 pm »
Nothing wrong with a political view but don't punish me because I am not a liberal commie. Google has been the same since they began. Just people starting to wake up because it is fashionable to. Just like people starting to wake up to crapple I admit when I was in high school we actually had a computer in the libary and it was an apple. All one has to do for apple is remember Steve jobs wanted to rip off IBM and put them out of business in the beginning he was by far no saint. Microsoft we all know the evils there. I prefer Linux but refuse to use google lol. But again we can all make our own choices as long as the nanny liberals realize American people do not want to be told what to do. Good old king Obama and his pack of commies really showing their asrses now. But it is thier right to lie to the American people.