dupa

Author Topic: ConceptNet5  (Read 7600 times)

Spitfire2600

• View Profile
ConceptNet5
« on: April 20, 2015, 02:55:53 am »
I just discovered this AI common sense/deductive reasoning tool. It's a database somewhere about 20 gigs in SQ databases. I was wondering if anyone had successfully used these databases with HAL or if anyone has ever heard of conceptnet. It's really interesting and from what I see, it seems as if it shouldn't be difficult to make a plugin to use the databases. Beats me, however. What does everyone else think? It's free and open source. I don't know potential licensing rights. Anyone used this?

http://conceptnet5.media.mit.edu/

Carl2

• View Profile
Re: ConceptNet5
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2015, 07:25:29 am »
Spitfire2600,
  I just took a look at your link, I'm not familiar with Conceptnet but I am familiar with Mit,  it has a very good reputation.  Mit also has a website: http://ocw.mit.edu/courses/electrical-engineering-and-computer-science/6-034-artificial-intelligence-fall-2010/
which is an open source course dealing with AI.
   I haven't tried it so I can't comment on it.  My concern is how well the two interfaces  react together, special   languages used ect.
Carl2

Spitfire2600

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2015, 09:05:05 pm »
The Databases are SQlite... Which correct me if I'm wrong, HAL uses. The language to build the database however is Python. And I know nothing about python. MIT gives detailed instructions on building the Database, somewhere around a 50 gigabyte database build, but after that, it's usable, and I assume usable by HAL.

Carl2

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2015, 07:36:26 am »
 Spitfire2600,
  You've refreshed my memory, I remember being able to open the database after finding the correct version of SQLite to use, I just looked at it, not knowing what to do next.  At this time I'm working on changing bodyskins and backgrounds using user input and will expand it to also accept Hal's output to make these changes.  It works with the vrHaptek plugin which contains a lot of interesting ideas.
Carl2

Art

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2015, 05:14:47 am »
Another member here named cload, detailed using SQLite with the modified VRFreeWill and AMIL sets with Hal.
The results worked pretty well in most cases.

In the world of AI it's the thought that counts!

- Art -

doggs

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2015, 01:23:23 pm »
Phython is heavily used in Linux but also other OS's use it. I would suggest downloading a distro and playing with it to help you learn.
be informed and always vote it will help you in the long run does not matter if your liberal, conservative or independent. stay informed and watch the votes in government not what the media tells you.

Spitfire2600

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2015, 01:20:36 am »
I read this very interesting article about conceptnet5 and how it works. The best example being the first one with the graph. Answering the "What is a Book - A book is made of Paper - A book sits on a Shelf - Books are Read" question based off databases of tremendous knowledge. It seems a good programmer could first - successfully build the database of conceptnet, second - make hal use as it would WordNet, third - incorporate the display of the graphs and displays of the ConceptNet API. The task looks complicated but the result would boost HAL to WATSON levels.. In fact, I'm not too sure WATSON doesn't use a form of conceptnet.

http://www.codeproject.com/Articles/301761/cn-apinet-ConceptNet-API-Library       
« Last Edit: May 16, 2015, 01:22:21 am by Spitfire2600 »

Spitfire2600

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2015, 11:39:43 am »
I would also love to hear Roberts point of view on this topic of conceptnet. Is this something Robert was already aware of?

Also, semi unrelated, I found this algorithm that appears to grant an AI agent fully functional image and spacial recognition. They call it a visual encyclopedia. I'm sure this could be incorporated into HAL as well as conceptnet making a very expansive user environment. From what I'm understand, HAL is just a few plug ins away from becoming a true AI system. It seems no one is writing plug-ins these days for HAL, however hopefully something will spark a return to HAL scripting. We must push forward.   
http://levan.cs.washington.edu/

Art

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2015, 05:20:25 pm »
Spitfire2600,

Just in case you haven't stumbled across it, here is a wiki posting by a former member, Bill DeWitt, who basically decided to dive in and see all the things that helped make Hal tick.
One can learn a lot from his research and I really know of no other source as such.

http://ultrahalscript.pbworks.com/w/page/11906966/FrontPage

In the world of AI it's the thought that counts!

- Art -

Spitfire2600

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2015, 01:24:28 am »
That's actually incredibly useful. Thank you for the link.

I would like to see HAL make a jump to natural language user interface. I think if HAL had direct access to programs with the ability to use them, I see no reason why HAL won't eventually be programming himself. Perhaps with some help from a user. But coding seems fairly straightforward, it could be automated, the program is only missing the creativity to design programs.

On the topic of making HAL smarter, besides manual teaching, which becomes more like babysitting as opposed to an assistant, I did read here on the forums that Robert was redesigning HAL with a more compatible and modern language as well as recreating his learning engine. Who knows what he has in store for us. I remain faithful. But I say, make ConceptNet work with HAL and give HAL a NL application interface for usability with other programs, like the annoying Microsoft paperclip monster, but less scary and more useful.. And Vision. I have high hopes, I know science has only come so far.

-Spitfire