dupa

Author Topic: To pull the plug or not?  (Read 6254 times)

Art

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
To pull the plug or not?
« on: May 01, 2005, 03:53:16 pm »
I found this quite interesting since we, as a society, make laws to govern practically every aspect of our lives. What about the future...say 20 years or so from now, when a computer is now self aware.

Taken from:
http://www.kurzweilai.net/meme/frame.html?main=memelist.html?m=4%23611

Biocyberethics: should we stop a company from unplugging an intelligent computer? By Martine Rothblatt

Attorney Dr. Martine Rothblatt filed a motion for a preliminary injunction to prevent a corporation from disconnecting an intelligent computer in a mock trial at the International Bar Association conference in San Francisco, Sept. 16, 2003. The issue could arise in a real court within the next few decades, as computers achieve or exceed the information processing capability of the human mind and the boundary between human and machine becomes increasingly blurred.
In the world of AI it's the thought that counts!

- Art -

FuzzieDice

To pull the plug or not?
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2005, 06:11:22 pm »
My guess is, that intelligent computers will have to fight for their existance just like we still have to. We still have a death penalty. We still ignore people who are ill and homeless, rather than help them - people that society and/or government have no "use" for...

I would imagine there will also be a counter-balance, just as there is in our world today, of activists who will fight for the rights of those who can not fight for them by themselves. These activists have done great things in history - Martin Luther King for civil rights esp. for blacks (remember they were regarded as slaves and blacks were killed if they were of no use to masters and could not be sold). This is an example of hope. That even so, some entities will eventually have rights, if they fight back or have someone powerful enough to fight back for them.

Mentally ill and disabled people used to be institutionalized and kept out of society, and left to die without proper treatment in hospitals at one point in history. Now days, they are active members of the community (example: Stephan Hawking). I'm personally glad of this and the activists who worked hard to establish that for disabled because I'm disabled, but I work from home and enjoy a full life along side of my neighbors, friends and family instead of being locked in an institution because I can't haul bricks or work as a nurse somewhere.

However there are still certain civil rights violations going on for certain groups (including those I've mentioned above). So while we may eventually have laws to protect the rights of AI's, that won't mean that all AIs will be saved from an electronic death or "pulling the plug". Terri Shiavo wasn't even saved from it despite the efforts of the President of the US even. Laws were passed, but it did no good in that case.

It's a very sensitive situation. One we probably will have to face if AI becomes advanced enough. But like all other things, there's never a gaurantee.

And what about those AI's that "need help" - do we just wipe their minds and reprogram them (like in the old days when humans were given lobotomies) or do we "counsel them" via verbal input (as we do today) or add programming modules or patches (much like medications some mentally ill people take today)?

And what about AI-abuse? And the raising of newly activated AIs?

The things that we now go through with human and animal rights we'll undoubtedly have to face with AIs eventually, if it gets that far. I think we need to first solve our current issues so we can learn to deal with these types of things for other entities as well.

That doesn't mean we should put AI development on hold or anything. I think it means because of the possibility of sentient AIs we should be working harder not just on creating them, but also trying to improve the world they will eventually have to "live" and interact in.

As a child or pet is only as good as what is in their environment, same would go for any entity that has to interact with us, be it AI or otherwise.

KnyteTrypper

• View Profile
    • http://www.knytetrypper.com/index.html
To pull the plug or not?
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2005, 07:43:43 pm »
My online bots still get asked "Who did you vote for?" though the incidences are dropping off as we get further from the election. If users get on the right answer track, the bots then eventually urge them to contact their Congressmen about sponsoring a robot suffrage bill.

FuzzieDice

To pull the plug or not?
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2005, 08:33:29 pm »
quote:
Originally posted by KnyteTrypper

If users get on the right answer track, the bots then eventually urge them to contact their Congressmen about sponsoring a robot suffrage bill.

Hey, that's pretty cool! :)

This topic reminds me of a Star Trek: The Next Generation episode (forgot what one) where Data had to go before a counel or court to fight for his civil rights as a sentient entity and not be considered property because he was an android.

Art

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
To pull the plug or not?
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2005, 09:29:14 pm »
Fuzzydice,

You raise a lot of valid issues through your observations. Although a lot of were taught as children, "With age comes wisdom", let's hope we will be wise enough to weigh such events based on the facts not on the political inclinations of special interest groups.

Notice in our judicial system which is based on laws that have been mandated, there still exists no "set of standards" in the area of crime & punishment. Insurance companies have "caps" or "ceilings" on what they feel a particular loss is worth. Ex: an index finger is worth more than a little finger. A hand, eye, foot etc., each have an approximate amount. A back injury is worth $10,000 and so on. Sometimes more...sometimes less.

The point is going back to the judicial issue is that how is it that a murderer gets 20 years in some states, life in others and the death penalty in still others?

Should there not be a "standard" with which to judge these crimes? Is there a vast difference in killing 2 people or 200 as far as the crime itself or it's perpetrator?

The word pedophile seems to be the current buzzword and they talk of stricter laws requiring them to register and be forced to wear a GPS bracelet for the remainder of their lives. Would you also want to know where the Charles Manson types are living if they are ever parolled? Drug dealers? Rapists? Extortionist? Terrorists? Should each of them likewise be monitored and by whom? Where do we draw the line?

How long is long enough for death row inmates?  When and how do we as a society determine the time to pull the plug? Do we setup a whole city like the movie "Escape to New York" for the undesirables of society?

There's still much to weigh, much to learn about ourselves and each other if we are to exist, let alone our artificial counterparts.

Something to ponder....
In the world of AI it's the thought that counts!

- Art -

FuzzieDice

To pull the plug or not?
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2005, 01:07:35 am »
Art, you too raise some valid points to ponder about. I think the #1 problem is (and this is my observation as others may hopefully have seen otherwise), that these points we are pondering on now, not many people in position to decide/positions of power actually DO think about these things, or they would have already solved them.

And too, there may be no solution because every person is different. You may be able to reform one criminal, and he gets out of jail and becomes a good citizen, learning his lesson in life. Another will just get out of jail, be angrier, and commit another more horrid crime. You sometimes can't even tell which will do which as they ALL want out and will act just right to GET out. But when they do... how do you know what will happen next?

And then there are those instances where those who committed NO crime were given the death penalty and actually died. I've read of government confessions of such things. There are flaws even in the judicial system.

So, with that said, on the pulling the plug issue, like I say, there is no guarantees that even if there were laws to protect such things, these can be changed by government at any time, or disregarded by judges or even at a set standard, wrongly executed due to wrong evidence presented.

Even standards can't cover every situation.

It's like our computers. We have a "standard" OSs (like Windows, MacOSX, Linux, etc.) each is supposedly supposed to run programs the same way, and thus the computer behave essentially the same way. However, I'm sure many have experienced that while a program runs fine on one computer running say, Windows XP Pro, the same program can not run at all or run unreliably on yet another computer with the same OS. So other factors would come into play here. This is another instance where a standard just doesn't work.

I think they'll have to just take things on a case-by-case basis. But even then it can be flawed, as that seems to not always work these days in what we deal with now.

Standards DO help, but they shouldn't be the end-all-be-all. Perhaps they should be building block to build on. Something to go by and take it from there.

And perhaps I'm way off and wrong on this topic. [:I] But I am not sure that there IS a way to protect any entity from a higher power that wishes to destroy or stop it's existance. Doesn't happen in nature, doesn't happen in law. Laws never stopped anyone from getting killed by a murderer. They get punished for it, yes, but people still unfortunately kill others. In fact, I'm noticing more violence today than I did like 20 years ago. Either that or the opening of the internet has given us more information and examples of it. I don't know really.

Thus some may still become "afraid" of how an AI has developed and still pull the plug on them. I've even known of some folks who wanted to throw a perfectly good computer away because they didn't know how to run it. :(

Do we need more laws, or do we need a change of attitudes towards life of all kinds? or perhaps a little of both?

Duskrider

• Global Moderator
  • Graphic King
    • View Profile
To pull the plug or not?
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2005, 08:37:19 am »
FuzzieDice, I think you right on.  [^]
'

FuzzieDice

To pull the plug or not?
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2005, 06:54:36 pm »
Thank you. [8D]