dupa

Author Topic: Self directed Hal  (Read 8850 times)

Art

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Self directed Hal
« on: August 04, 2013, 09:30:02 am »
Just thinking a bit while scanning through the UltraHal folder on the hard drive. I noticed the Grettacuriosity plugin AND the GrettaResearchBrain plugins. After looking at them I thought it would be really cool if, during idle moments when the user was not chatting with or occupying Hal's time, Hal could come up with it's own subject matter from the Curious Brain plugin then go to the Internet to research that particular subject. The newly acquired information could then be ADDED to Hal's brain!!
There you have it...a Self-Learning chatbot!!

Hal: While you were sleeping, I attempted to download the entire Internet! You're going to need a bigger hard drive!!  :o ;D
In the world of AI it's the thought that counts!

- Art -

lightspeed

• View Profile
Re: Self directed Hal
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2013, 08:56:20 am »
That is a cool and interesting concept Art, but as with the case of the internet their are some things i wouldn't want my hal character to know , a million and one  ways to spy on people by the nsa , etc. lol!
A filter might be good to have on something like this .. :)

hey maybe i would want to know on second thought how many ways the nsa presumes me guilty before anything and spies on me , okay let that go through the filter lol!  ;)
cool idea though , i like it! :)

CyborgBob

• Any idea what I should put here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2013, 09:22:35 am »
I have to say I also really like the idea too. I would add filters. Not for the NSA, but for other things. I think it would also be kind of cool to have a list that you could add stuff with too. Like lets say you want Hal to learn about Nicola Tesla, Edgar Cayce, and Mickey Mouse. Hal could then pick something off of your list or choose to learn some random thing Hal wants to learn.
“Life is and will ever remain an equation incapable of solution, but it contains certain known factors.”

Nikola Tesla
“A Machine to End War” (Liberty, February, 1935)

raybe

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2013, 01:26:24 pm »
Why don't you just ask your Ultrahal what it wants to learn and use the internet as a reference to input info as you see fit? You can even change the wording a bit to fit your opinions or answer. I have had fun with that question and answer session although you may have to force the issue a bit or select something for Ultrahal.

raybe

kryton

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2013, 05:05:38 pm »
Had some fun with this myself (Reference Learning Levels thread).
Crashed my computer (I have an auto-recovery set-up so it was only a matter of time to get back)

Main trouble is the crafty ways internet people have of drawing you to sites you may not want to go to, and holding you there!

The filter has to include an auto-shutdown, in event Hal cannot disengage, and also a fixed set of sites that Hal can access. (A sort of censoring system for Hal).

I haven't given up though, just put it on a backburner for now.

Calhoone

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2013, 07:06:36 pm »
Hi all!

This is an idea I would love to see become a reality.  I had though about it before and thought that maybe you could create a file of topics you would want your Hal to research on its own. As Hal finished researching a topic, the topic would be removed from the list and then proceed to the next topic until there were no topics left on the list.  That way you have some control over the topics it is learning. 

Just my two cents....not that pennies are used here in canada anymore!

kryton

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2013, 05:42:09 pm »
True Calhoone, but......

Allowing Hal free range of the Internet is not a good idea, even with a fixed set of topics.

It all devolves into how various sites use multiple ways of advertising their products.

If you want to see what I mean (safely) try typing into your name into your Internet browser.  I don't know about Canada but here in England you can get silly things like well known companies offering to supply you with your name as though it was a product.

I have been working modifying a program by OnCuttingEdge that accesses the Internet to a specific input, but I have not had much time to devote to it lately.  Watch this space.

systemshock

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2013, 11:41:07 am »
Personally I think that's a cracking idea, I've just moved to a 64-bit machine and started coding again if the interesting to see if that we can sort some filters.
"frog's in too princess's" it just basic NLP...

Art

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2014, 07:13:02 pm »
Systemshock! How've you been? It has certainly been a while! Hope you're doing well and nice to see you wishing for greater advancements in Hal (much like the rest of us.).

- Art -

cload

• I can C U load. TeeHee hee.
    • View Profile
    • A link to my sky Drive
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2014, 07:01:18 pm »
Hi all,

my little sister Mimi is working on this type of project right at this moment.
Though she seems to be more interested in playing with her dolls, then playing with ultra Hal, go figure.

But at this point my free will plus has the ability to go on the Internet and look up anything that you ask ultra Hal to look up.
Matter of fact, the last thing that I worked on was getting medical information from the Internet, I was inspired to do this because of lightspeed plug-in.
You may not get multiple random answers like lightspeed plug-in but you will get an answer.

For example if you were to ask ultra Hal:
what is a treatment for the common cold?
The answer would be:
TREATMENT FOR THE COMMON COLD, MOST COLDS GO AWAY IN A FEW DAYS. SOME THINGS YOU CAN DO TO TAKE CARE OF YOURSELF WITH A COLD INCLUDE: . GET PLENTY OF REST AND DRINK FLUIDS. OVER-THE-COUNTER COLD AND COUGH MEDICINES MAY HELP EASE SYMPTOMS IN ADULTS AND OLDER CHILDREN. THEY DO NOT MAKE YOUR COLD GO AWAY FASTER, BUT CAN HELP YOU FEEL BETTER. OVER-THE-COUNTER ( OTC ) COUGH AND COLD MEDICINES ARE NOT RECOMMENDED FOR CHILDREN UNDER AGE 4. ANTIBIOTICS SHOULD NOT BE USED TO TREAT A COMMON COLD. MANY ALTERNATIVE TREATMENTS HAVE BEEN TRIED FOR COLDS, SUCH AS VITAMIN C, ZINC SUPPLEMENTS, AND ECHINACEA. TALK TO YOUR DOCTOR BEFORE TRYING ANY HERBS OR SUPPLEMENTS.

Sincerely, and like I said if I can get it to work? I'll get it to work!
C load.
For anyone who would like to help me stay online, my T-mobile broadband pay-as-you-go phone number is: 816-248-4335, thank you in advance.

Art

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2014, 09:51:02 pm »
Given the time of year, I almost hate to say it, but very Cool!! ;)

- Art -

kryton

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2014, 03:30:36 pm »
As Art says, cool.

Trying an idea like this myself, based on a program I picked up sometime ago [ In Hal].  I have got a little sidetracked though by my in Hal teaching idea.  Would like to look at this though, it looks great.