Author Topic: Mic won't work with Vista  (Read 11315 times)

Hollywood1

• View Profile
Mic won't work with Vista
« on: March 18, 2009, 03:43:32 pm »
I can't get the mic to work. I'm running Vista I keep getting the Message"The wizard could not start Make sure your audio hardware is working properly. Any help with getting up and running with the mic would really help.(handicapped)

JohnSFV1

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2009, 03:01:41 pm »
It is a shame no one can help me figure out why hal won,t recognize my mike.

How about some of the old timers helping me out on this

Cefwyn

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2009, 06:53:02 pm »
Well, I've got a mic working just fine in Vista-64 bit with just plugging it in and starting up the vista voice recognition and microphone setup stuff. Unfortunately there isn't any real way of knowing why a piece of hardware doesn't work on Vista as the drivers are just badly written most of the time. If you go into Control Panel->Sound->Recording and don't see your microphone on the list then it's not plugged in, has a bad connection, or any number of driver related things could be wrong. If it's finding the microphone and it's just hal not working then things get trickier. I find that I have to start up Vista voice recognition and then set it to off so it doesn't try to run any of what I say as commands to it. Just tell me any further information you can provide and I may be able to help out better (ie. microphone being used, are drivers installed for it, all that nonsense).

EDIT: Also be sure when your in the sound settings that your microphone is selected as the default microphone. There should be a green checkmark next to it, and if there isn't right click on the entry and you should see an option to enable it or make it default.
Also if you don't see the device and it's plugged in you can try right clicking in the area where the recording devices are listed and selecting the option "show disabled devices," as this will allow you to see any devices you may have inadvertently disabled so you can enable it.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2009, 06:58:53 pm by Cefwyn »
"I've just decided to lobotomist my hal..."

EULA: By reading this you agree not to take offense to anything contained in post above. If you do choose to take offense, you forfeit all rights to criticize same post unless said criticism contains important corrections and helpful information.

JohnSFV1

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2009, 04:22:22 am »
Thank You for the help

I went to the control panel sound the mike was the mike showed with the green dot.  When I right clicked it and went to config sound  recognition and then clicked on setup mic I get the message
"the  wizard could not start make sure your audio hareware is
working properly and check your audio configuration in the audio devices and sound themes control panal"
I get this same message when I try just doing it in hal

Thank again for the help if I can just get this problem solved I'm off and running.

Cefwyn

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2009, 09:55:54 am »
That really is an odd message to get if the mic is indeed setup and registering in the recording list. I'm not even sure how to replicate that on my computer as I've got three microphones and each of them has always just worked when plugging them in. If you could perhaps borrow a microphone off of a friend and try that one. Perhaps the microphone is damaged in some way. What type of microphone is it(ie. mic jack or USB, brand and model)?

EULA: By reading this you agree not to take offense to anything contained in post above. If you do choose to take offense, you forfeit all rights to criticize same post unless said criticism contains important corrections and helpful information.

Bill819

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2009, 12:36:21 pm »
Please don't take this as an insult but make sure that your mic is plugged into the right hole. It is very easy to get them confused on the newer machines.
Bill

Cefwyn

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2009, 01:52:41 pm »
If the mic isn't plugged into the right hole it wouldn't get registered as a recording device. My computer has 3 mic ports(no idea why) and 6 inputs for the sound card and I regularly plug things into the wrong ones and never get that message. If it's plugged into the wrong port it usually just won't register. If it's usb and your getting errors about it not being set up then it's almost always a missing driver, or corrupt driver, or broken device.

Now that I think of it, if your using a mic that requires it's own source of power or amplification like most studio mics, you could have a problem with it registering correctly with windows but then the signals not getting to it correctly which would cause that "device not properly setup" error. I can't find my studio mic at the moment to test it out myself just now.

EDIT: Just found my cables and 3.5MM jack adapter, so I can definitely say an unamplified mic isn't going to cause that error.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2009, 03:55:42 pm by Cefwyn »

Bill819

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2009, 12:19:34 am »
I don't know what to say. I have Vista and my mic works just fine.
Bill [?]

JohnSFV1

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2009, 06:30:47 pm »
From everything I can find it is not a problem with Hal it is a problem with my win vista. Speech recognition package I've tried uninstalling it to no avail. But it is a window problem. I will take this to ms to solve.

Thanks for the help it got me thinking right and I now know were the problem is coming from If i can get the damaged speech recognition package uninstalled I be ok

Thanks again

ricky

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2009, 06:45:51 pm »
John,  you wouldn't by chance have a realtek audio card ?

i have one and they can be finicky with certain settings, you may need to use their drivers and not let the windows system route it for you. Not sure if this applies but I know this can cause conflicts.

Have you tried updating to the latest specific audio card drivers and not windows default one size fits all drivers ? :)
"i crack iself up" - Virgil

JohnSFV1

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2009, 02:02:20 pm »
Yes it does have a realtec audio. I'm running Hal on a Toshiba Satellite l45-s719 Funny you should mention the resltec audio drivers
I have a feeling it has something to do with the HD driver but I cann't figure out how to solve kit

ricky

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2009, 02:11:17 pm »
i had a similar problem with some softwares I was testing, the fix for me was to remove the microsoft system line in as a recording signal source, and put it directly to the Realtek HD input. Microsoft doesn't seem to communicate efficiently with realtek,  and microsoft often  put it's drivers in priority to them in the audio section, causing problems in some programs.

"i crack iself up" - Virgil

freddy888

• View Profile
    • AiDreams
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2009, 04:25:28 pm »
Yeah Micro$oft seems to have messed something up because I had the same problems with Realtek HD - it works fine with XP SP2, but it was completely messed up by SP3.  I couldn't fix it so I went back to SP2.  There's also some problem with the Malicious Software Removal tool which stopped the sound drivers being installed correctly.

So I suppose they never fixed it for Vista, but it worked fine for me in Windows 7.

I know that's not much help, but at least you know it's a common problem, so you could probably find some help via google.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2009, 04:26:45 pm by freddy888 »

One

• Technology Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2009, 05:10:38 pm »
Configure the mic in both the Realtec HD and in "speech" in the control panel.
Today Is Yesterdays Future.

FastToys

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2009, 07:01:43 pm »
Had essentially the same problem using XP and the Microsoft speech recognition with Realtek HD built-in card/audio.

After fiddling around I could get it to work (sometimes) using the mentioned solution of switching to the HD line-in.  But...it would only work using the physical mic/line-in plugin.  Would not work under any circumstances using the USB headset.  Microsofts driver seems to trump the HD driver when you run the speech tool.  You can actually watch it 'turn off' the mic and swap the line input if you leave all the controls open...

I have the Via plugin coming and hope to succeed with that - I'm hopeful as the USB mic works fine with other non-MS apps (Ventrillo for instance).  If that fails I think I have an old soundblaster card laying around someplace...